Anyone else desperately miss Kostner? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Anyone else desperately miss Kostner?

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
This thread reminded me of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obCNrNQ7XRE
That 2A at 2:44 :love:
Thanks for posting that, I never saw this before. Her outfit is very risky ...

I miss her, but not desperately. For me she is one of the finest skaters that ever was and very probably the finest skater of her generation. When I think of how skating should look like I always see Carolina flying down the rink. And I don't think that TV broadcasts ever did her justice, if you haven't seen her live you just don't know what set her apart.

yuki

Final Flight
Thanks for posting that, I never saw this before. Her outfit is very risky ...

The outfit is a crime against aesthetics, but I love her quality of movement in this video.

I miss her, but not desperately. For me she is one of the finest skaters that ever was and very probably the finest skater of her generation. When I think of how skating should look like I always see Carolina flying down the rink. And I don't think that TV broadcasts ever did her justice, if you haven't seen her live you just don't know what set her apart.

Thank you for mentioning this, it's one of my regrets as a skating fan that I haven't been able to see her live.

TheCzar

On the Ice
She was never my favourite, but she aged well like wine. These youngsters can only hope that three Olympic cycles later they would have only developed for the better like Carolina. Half the time she was a hot mess, but when she was on, she was the only one to challenge Mao, Kim, and Miki. I'm all for supporting the future and not staying stuck in the past, however, there is nobody in the current field of children (yes, they are children) that captures, let alone sparks a surge of inspiration and creativity.

Basically, apart from Ashley Wagner- who at the moment is like a grandma compared to the field, the crop of younger skaters grew up watching a group of well rounded skaters who knew how to spin, and do a spiral, and perform actual choreography. However, by the time their turn was up, the system did not reward those aspects as much as they used to, and in turn these skaters just became a jumble of what was and jumping prowess.

None of them were taught as well in the basics, probably because they could jump and that's all that mattered. With the exception of the Japanese skaters and a few Americans (Mirai came in at the cusp of change, and Ashley.) the rest of the field turned into a bunch of jumping prodigies with a poor skill set and frantic arms. And there you are with the Russians, and the Canadians.

Going back to the OP, all this does make me miss Kostner because of quality. No point having a field full of promise and potential that right now is going the drain.

Alex D

Record Breaker
I think that every skater who retires will be missed, as they all add something to a competition and are unique.

Back in the days when Katarina Witt was gone, a big hole was there for me, she just was our Kati (even though she hates to be called like that). It took a long time for me to get attached to skating again and it was Sasha Cohen, but also Laura Lepistö and Susanna Pöykiö who brought me back.

As you all know, all of them have stopped, but I already found new skaters, who sure can not replace them, but still keep me busy. The beauty of today is, that we have so many possibilities to find new skaters, back when Katarina stopped, this was not the case, internet was just starting out, you just had much less access to the sport.

moriel

Record Breaker
She was never my favourite, but she aged well like wine. These youngsters can only hope that three Olympic cycles later they would have only developed for the better like Carolina. Half the time she was a hot mess, but when she was on, she was the only one to challenge Mao, Kim, and Miki. I'm all for supporting the future and not staying stuck in the past, however, there is nobody in the current field of children (yes, they are children) that captures, let alone sparks a surge of inspiration and creativity.

Basically, apart from Ashley Wagner- who at the moment is like a grandma compared to the field, the crop of younger skaters grew up watching a group of well rounded skaters who knew how to spin, and do a spiral, and perform actual choreography. However, by the time their turn was up, the system did not reward those aspects as much as they used to, and in turn these skaters just became a jumble of what was and jumping prowess.

None of them were taught as well in the basics, probably because they could jump and that's all that mattered. With the exception of the Japanese skaters and a few Americans (Mirai came in at the cusp of change, and Ashley.) the rest of the field turned into a bunch of jumping prodigies with a poor skill set and frantic arms. And there you are with the Russians, and the Canadians.

Going back to the OP, all this does make me miss Kostner because of quality. No point having a field full of promise and potential that right now is going the drain.

What makes her unique is that she came from a not very skating country, so she had all the time she needed to grow artistically. See Russia / Japan / USA - there is new crop of world level skaters coming out of juniors almost every year, and always pressure and fight for the world / europeans / 4cc spots etc - in a more stacked field she maybe would retire earlier and have overall less oportunities to develop.

Celine

On the Ice
Will never forget the Worlds where she performed while trying to stop a bloody nose. Incredible poise. And always such a lovely smile.

If I ever get to see her live, I would hope to have the chance to sit close to the ice, just to feel the wind as she flies past!

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Yes I would say Weir and Cohen could and did do justice to programs like Ave Maria. I'll have to look up Evan because I don't remember seeing it or maybe I forgot because it was not truly memorable.

I could watch Dorothy stroke around all day so beautiful was her basic skating and a perfect back that you don't see anymore. Beautiful posture is a joy in itself.

I wish skaters had to study school figures- maybe not compete them because there is no place it seems but when you look at Dick Button and his era or Janet Lynn who wasn't excellent at winning and was the skater that made the so technical program happen she still skated so sublimely because of the school figures. Maybe they should officially call it ice skating since figures are long long gone. Or maybe they should have it competed at the various levels. Granted only us die yards want to watch the figures portion but if they hadd to learn figures and pass a certain competency level we would be seeing more beauty in the free skates.

Oh please ladies someone just blow us away with a Kwan or Cohen long spiral change of edge or a fast centered scratch spin like the Swiss seem to master a la Lucindah Ruh or Lambiel or our own Us veteran Todd Eldridge. Yes we have more footwork tougher transitions into jumps. But is constant movement annoying when the program is just that and no theme?

Ashley Wagner can ur 4 triples and I will still be glad she won gold because she knows how to build a program. And Mao still does as does Gracie. Gracie is not a ballerina like Polina but she has a style that's more pleasing than most. She can do soft pretty quirky sexy and it's always good thanks to Lori and Frank.

Satoko is beautiful sift and rotates. But the ruffled skirts remind me of little girl panties in the fifties. These tiny children who can easily rotate the triples take over. And when a normal sized woman skates she gets called out for her body being too fat too muscular. We women long to see well women in this sport. No question from responses many 6.0 fans left with Michelle Kwan. And all of Korea seems to have left with Yuna. Sadly Soi as small as it is doesn't come to my city anymore. Middle class people were brought in to the sport via TV when Peggy Flemming was a huge draw. I know the sport could revive the TV audience if we had adult stars. The judges don't seem to reward longevity anymore. Every year it seems a different Russian tot is crowned queen.

I think it hurts the sport when mainly the proficient jumpers are rewarded. Jumping is the spice but it isn't skating. It is like what happened to Gymnastics. Well that's what I lament Kwan Kostner Lucindah. I sometimes think maybe anointing Tara for the technical and Tiny Cohen for the artistic gymnastic side of her skating led us to where we are now. Yuna and Caro made podium with one triple triple. Adeline certainly had the tricks but the rest was forgettable for me. If only coaches and skating insiders would deman a balance between the old and new. Ice jumping should be the new name. Rarely we get a hybrid like Chan but it's is very hard to skate clean when more quads are the direction. Well I'm never going to see the programs I think are best on the podiums. Qi guess we have to make the best of it and re watch the gems old and new. Sorry. Old person wishing for past favorites. Ice dance is great tho. I find much purer skating there. Love Chock and Bates and those darling Shib sibs! And Russian pairs still are pretty awesome. So it's just a smaller group at the top I guess. It's a very hard sport now I am afraid. Very few have the funds to pursue the years it takes to compete as a senior and make a name for oneself.

I'm going to start a thread of asking for best all around programs this season. Let's try to capture the jewels whether they score highest or not.