Are my skates going to end up to big? | Golden Skate

Are my skates going to end up to big?

Shix

Spectator
Im pretty new to skating only real experience is on the seasonal rinks for Christmas but I really enjoyed it and got some of my own skates.

Unfortunately where I'm currently located there arent any proshops within any reasonable distance to go and get fitted until I move in a few months so I decided to just buy online. Me being so new I thought skate sizing would just be the same as shoe sizing. I generally wear a UK size 9 and ordered a UK size 9 skate but after doing some research found out that you generally want to go for a slightly smaller size skate. My shoes and boots are already a pretty tight fit, generally size 9 shoes are an absolutely perfect fit so much so that when I went to get fitted for some hiking boots I found even half a size smaller ended up being way to tight for me causing toe pain, I'm hoping somehow that will translate into at least an okay fit for skates šŸ˜¬

I also opted to get them sharpened prior to shipping in my eagerness so unfortunately they are no longer returnable, have I made a massive blunder and is there anything I might be able to do about it? Still waiting to receive the skates so I'm not sure just how bad its going to be yet.

and for reference, I ordered some Jackson mystique as I heard Jackson is good for wide feet, and I tend to have quite wide feet.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
At this point, no one can tell you whether the boots will fit or not. Since there's nothing you can do about the order, don't fret about it. When they come in, let us know how the fit is, and we'll advise you on the next steps (if any) to take. But maybe you'll luck out, and they'll fit perfectly.:pray:

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
They won't necessarily be disastrously big. As tstop4me said above, nobody can tell at this stage, so no point in worrying. We'll be here with all the good advice when they arrive and you try them on. Years ago my boots used to be a UK3 and my street shoes a 4 to 4.5 These days my boots are a 4.5, the same as my street shoes. As a beginner, you won't be wanting or needing a "competition fit" anyway.

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
Well....yes, they will be too big, technically speaking. But it's likely to only be an issue if you are taking lessons and learning skills (especially spins and jumps). If you are intending to use them only recreationally, you will probably be fine.

Shix

Spectator
Well....yes, they will be too big, technically speaking. But it's likely to only be an issue if you are taking lessons and learning skills (especially spins and jumps). If you are intending to use them only recreationally, you will probably be fine.
I dont think ill be taking lessons any time soon although my plan was to learn some skills. It was only my first time on the ice this past week so I only have a few hours of experience but I'm already getting the hang of crossovers and transitions and managed to do a bit of a two-foot spin although they arent good haha. Honestly the whole reason I want to get into skating is that I seem to have a bit of natural talent in it, so much so that my figure skating friends who I went with didn't believe me when I told them it was my first time šŸ˜

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Well....yes, they will be too big, technically speaking.
Why?

ETA: To me, boots either fit reasonably well (where 'reasonably well' depends on level of skating and potential adjustments), or they don't. What is your distinction between technical and non-technical criteria for proper boot fit?

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ā›øļø
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I dont think ill be taking lessons any time soon although my plan was to learn some skills. It was only my first time on the ice this past week so I only have a few hours of experience but I'm already getting the hang of crossovers and transitions and managed to do a bit of a two-foot spin although they arent good haha. Honestly the whole reason I want to get into skating is that I seem to have a bit of natural talent in it, so much so that my figure skating friends who I went with didn't believe me when I told them it was my first time šŸ˜
How are you learning?

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
Why?

ETA: To me, boots either fit reasonably well (where 'reasonably well' depends on level of skating and potential adjustments), or they don't. What is your distinction between technical and non-technical criteria for proper boot fit?
Technically, they will be too long for OP's feet which means the ball of the foot won't line up correctly above the sweet spot of the blade. If OP's correct skate size is 1.5 to 2 sizes smaller than their street shoe size (1.5 size diff is the most common one I see anecdotally), this is enough to cause problems with spins, and is also enough to potentially cause problems like tripping over their toe pick, or causing them to learn to have their weight on the wrong place on the blade to avoid tripping. If OP's correct size is just 1 size smaller, their issues might not be too bad.

Non technically, the incorrect size doesn't matter too much if you aren't learning skills and are just going around in circles...?

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Of course professional lessons would be best but a combination of watching my friends and getting tips from them, youtube tutorials and just practice šŸ˜
Don't learn from the internet/youtube. You're going to get hurt, learn technique improperly which you will then have to unlearn and relearn the right way. Just get a coach, please.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Of course professional lessons would be best but a combination of watching my friends and getting tips from them, youtube tutorials and just practice šŸ˜
Not a good idea. Internet teaching is like asking on a forum about an illness and treating based on what you get told

Shix

Spectator
Not a good idea. Internet teaching is like asking on a forum about an illness and treating based on what you get told
It cant be that bad, i've skateboarded for years and everything I know is by using online tutorials. Its not like I'll be competing, I'm afraid I'm a bit to old to get that good at it, its just for fun!

Minz

It's not over till it's over
Medalist
Country
United-States
It cant be that bad, i've skateboarded for years and everything I know is by using online tutorials. Its not like I'll be competing, I'm afraid I'm a bit to old to get that good at it, its just for fun!
Look, Iā€™ve grown up in the age of technology. I have learned and continue to learn plenty of things online and via YouTube videos.

Figure skating is not one of those things.

Itā€™s a road to injury, bad technique, and other issues. A coach is going to be able to give you real time feedback to fix your issues. You might be doing something wrong, but you donā€™t notice it. A coach can tell you that, YouTube canā€™t.

Ultimately, itā€™s your decision, and we canā€™t stop you, so if you choose to learn improperly, thatā€™s on you, but we did warn you.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States

Technically, they will be too long for OP's feet which means the ball of the foot won't line up correctly above the sweet spot of the blade. If OP's correct skate size is 1.5 to 2 sizes smaller than their street shoe size (1.5 size diff is the most common one I see anecdotally), this is enough to cause problems with spins, and is also enough to potentially cause problems like tripping over their toe pick, or causing them to learn to have their weight on the wrong place on the blade to avoid tripping. If OP's correct size is just 1 size smaller, their issues might not be too bad.

Non technically, the incorrect size doesn't matter too much if you aren't learning skills and are just going around in circles...?

* Letā€™s set aside for now the issue of placement of the sweet spot (pursued below). Technically, if someone wants to respond over the InterNet to the OPā€™s question with the high degree of certainty that you assert, then they would need the following two datasets: (a) Dataset A characterizing the interior 3D geometry of the Jackson Mystique in UK size 9, including range of manufacturing variations; and (b) Dataset B characterizing the 3D geometry of the OPā€™s feet. In the absence of the above information, any response given is a guess. I would advise the OP not to waste even fretting a nanosecond on a guess.

* The correspondence between street shoe size and figure skating boot size is not as simplistic as you lay out; especially with the wide variety of lasts (even under a single manufacturer) that are now available. In Reply #3, WM gave you her example that doesnā€™t fall within your guideline. Iā€™ll give you another. Iā€™m a male skater in the US. My regular street shoes are a size 9M. I have a narrow heel, rectified in my street shoes by orthotics with a heel cup (the orthotics rectify other issues as well). In older generation Riedell boots, I fit a size 9N. In a Jackson boot with the Elite last, I fit a size 8W. The Jackson boot has a substantially rounder toe than my old Riedells; and the Elite last provides a split width with a narrower heel.

* The correspondence between figure skating boot size and placement of the sweet spot is also not as simplistic as you lay out. For the same size boot, there is wide variation (among different models) in (a) the degree of overhang of the uppers with respect to the external sole and heel; (b) the heel pitch on the outside of the boot; (c) the heel pitch on the inside of the boot; (d) the degree of taper of the external heel; (e) and the degree of mismatch between the mounting surfaces of the boot and the mounting surfaces of the blade. All this means is that there is not a simple correspondence between the surfaces on which your feet rest and the profiles of the blades that rest on the ice. One trivial example: the blade length is not uniquely defined by the boot size.

There is another recent thread discussing shifts in sweet spot with different boot/blade combos (and possible remedies): https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/threads/boot-blade-combos-they-matter.94283/.

* And, of course, there's a wide variation in placement of sweet spot with different blade models anyway.

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Look, Iā€™ve grown up in the age of technology. I have learned and continue to learn plenty of things online and via YouTube videos.

Figure skating is not one of those things.

Itā€™s a road to injury, bad technique, and other issues. A coach is going to be able to give you real time feedback to fix your issues. You might be doing something wrong, but you donā€™t notice it. A coach can tell you that, YouTube canā€™t.

Ultimately, itā€™s your decision, and we canā€™t stop you, so if you choose to learn improperly, thatā€™s on you, but we did warn you.
Not to mention the risk of injury goes up significantly. @Shix

Shix

Spectator
UPDATE: I got the skates and honestly if anything they're a bit small. Foot didn't budge when I did any toe/heel kicks and that's while it was still all undone. Im hoping the bit tight feeling goes away once they're broken in because they're currently a bit more than snug haha

MiraiFan

Final Flight
UPDATE: I got the skates and honestly if anything they're a bit small. Foot didn't budge when I did any toe/heel kicks and that's while it was still all undone. Im hoping the bit tight feeling goes away once they're broken in because they're currently a bit more than snug haha
Wear them around the house with thin socks and hard guards on and walk around in them a bit. Your skate tech can punch out any areas that are rubbing...

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Are you able to wiggle your toes? It's OK if your toes lightly brush the lining.