Are the most artistic skaters naturally inclined? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Are the most artistic skaters naturally inclined?

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Artistry is a very subjective and arbitrary term, and it's diffucult to find a definition widely acceptable.

As I understand, it's mostly used as a juxtaposition of "technique".
When some people (mostly Americans) talk about "MK's artistry", it usually means, "MK is our best hope, but she can't match against Slutskaya in tecniques, so we'd like to give her the edge by emphasizing THAT aspect."

I don't think Chen Lu is particulary "artistic". She's rather a technical type. When some people talk about "Lulu's artistry", they simply want to use her to praise MK, who has beaten Lulu in a very controversial way. A fifteen years old beats the defending world champion without even 3-3s! That's quite unusual under the (reputation biased) 6.0 system.

Oh goody another lets bash Kwan post. If you don't like Kwan's artistry just say it plain and simple. No need to insult other Americans and fans who think she has it.

SusanBeth

Final Flight
I don't think it quite fair to look at young skaters and judge them so harshly. True artistry depends on maturity and experience as well as an innate ability to relate movement to music. Kwan certainly had the potential for developing her artistry in evidence at a young age. She was always aware of the music and moved well to it.

You really can't express what you've never felt or relate to others experiences you don't yet understand. It takes time.

MKFSfan

Medalist
Many have already explained what I think in regards to a young Kwan. Obviously, Michelle's break out season as an "artist" was 1996 with Romanza and Salome. I think what made/makes her so great is she does have great ice presence and knows how to make the crowd believe in her. You can prefer other skaters, or feel others are more artistic, I don't mind. That is what Michelle is to me, and at 14 with Rondo at Worlds, I started to see what all the hype was about. Yes, she was a child among women, but, IMO, she had more command, more presence and more spark than Kimmie in her senior debut.

I love Lulu. She may not have been artistic as, say, Oskana but she was a well rounded skater, and did well in the 2nd mark. I think it's an insult to both Lulu and Michelle to say Lulu was not artistic that night at 1996 Worlds.

So many have been moved by Michelle. So many lable her as one of the greatest artists in the history of the sport. We can't all be wrong. But like others have said-art is in the eye of the beholder. What may more you may not interest me, and vice versa.

rtureck

Final Flight
:rofl:
Well it's pretty much you have it or you don't. Michelle Kwan was not really atistic when she was a 15-year old kid at her first nationals,

MK was 12 at her first senior national. I wasn't there (probably you weren't either). I am not aware of her 12 y/o first US senior national programs are available on DVD or video either. But from what I read from posters who were there she was quite a sensation. Kinda like people watched her predicting that she will be great someday, and by watching her then they can brag years later that "I saw her at nationals when she was 12"

Other skaters such as Sasha Cohen and Naomi nari Nam are clearly born with the gift of performing.
NNN is sensational from the start at 13. Cohen debut (at least recorded on TV) when she was 15.

NNN at 13 was a US national silver medalist. MK at 13 was world jr champion, and US national silver medalist. MK at 15 was world champ, neither NNN nor SC has achieved that, and they are in their 20s now.

Not sure artistic and "performing" is the same thing. But IMO, MK is naturally artistic. Lori gave her choreography and team Kwan advise her on makeup etc because she was overlooked for a world medal at 14, even with her amazing sp and lp (completed with 7 triples and 2 double axels) and she was the only skater who received a standing O that night.

True, they may have taken dance class from childhood but they express the music without trying and and perform down to the tips of thier toes. Bottom line, artistry can be improved upon and bettered by dance training and working with good chrographers, but for it to really show, to be truly artistic you have to be that way from within.

Well MK did not take any dance classes when she was young and she express the music without trying (refer you to her greensleeves program when she was 14). And IMO she performs down to the tip of her fingers. :cool:

Musical interpritation had not reached the extent of today in competition.

May I politely disagree?? I believe music interpretation at Kwan's time even when she was 15 has exceeded almost all of today's15 y/o skaters.

.. besides Lu Chen i can't think of any other lady then or beofre that really was so much better in artisty

IMO, if you are going to make a comparision, you should compare e.g. a 15 y/o MK to a 15 y/o Lulu. When I review their performances at 15, I have to give the artistic advantage of a 15 y/o Mk over a 15 y/o Lujlu.

Last edited: