Are We Rushing Rachael to the Podium? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Are We Rushing Rachael to the Podium?

gkelly

Record Breaker
International B and Grand Prix events - 15
International Championships (Euros, 4CC, Worlds, Olys) - 16

Actually, for International B and Grand Prix events, the rule is 14 by the previous July 1. Skaters in this cohort with mid-summer through late-fall birthdays will be 15 during the fall competitions; skaters with winter or spring birthdays could compete at these events when they're 14.

For the senior championships, it's 15 by the previous July 1. So by the time these events roll around, later in the season, especially Worlds, most of the affected skaters will have turned 16 already, but a skater with a June birthday could be only 15 and 8 months at the Olympics in February.

euterpe

Medalist
You're the only damn person that's even talking about the little brat, so I'd say NO.

~Z

I've talked about Rachael as well. I've had the pleasure of seeing her skate live. And she 's no more a brat than Caroline Zhang or Emily Hughes.

OooooH, I am damned for recognizing talent. I'm going to eat worms., but you are somewhat correct Z. I can't stand little girls skating. They all look alike except a few. I think Rachael is one of the few.

Joe

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Having seen Rachael's Mids Sectionals SP and FS on IceNetwork, I have to agree that she certainly is "one of the few". She happens to have recorded the highest score of any Senior lady at Sectionals: 159.27 total, 53.55 SP and 105.72. That beats the Pacific Sectionals Danielle Kahle (150.24, 53.17, 97.07) and the Eastern Sectionals Kylie Gleason (148.16, 46.68, 101.48) and Taylor Firth (145.22, 49.16, 96.06) by quite a wide margin.

Jennifer Lyon

On the Ice
OooooH, I am damned for recognizing talent. I'm going to eat worms., but you are somewhat correct Z. I can't stand little girls skating. They all look alike except a few. I think Rachael is one of the few.

Joe

I saw Rachael win the Intermediate Ladies' event at Skate Detroit a few years back. Even then, she stood out as one of the few. I hope she skates well at Nationals, whether she makes the podium or not.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Didn't Alissa Czisny do sectionals this year?

No. Alissa did Regionals. She won EGL Regionals with a score of 161.34 (52.85 SP, 108.49 FS). In the FS: Popped the lutz, 3F2T, 3L, 3F, 2A, 3T (fall), 3Z.

She didn't have to do Sectionals because her second GP event, CoR occurred within a week of Sectionals.

paralegalmkfan

Rinkside
I saw Rachel Flatt skate at the Colorado championships a couple of years ago, and it was quite evident back then that she was "one of the few" and worth keeping an eye on.

If they can stay injury free and survive the puberty monster, IMHO Flatt and Zhang will the ones that Kimmie will have to look over her shoulder for. I personally believe that they will surpass Hughes, Liang, Taylor, Crizzny if all goes well for them.

Again JMHO :cool:

flying camel

Medalist
After the season the American ladies had, I think most of us are just excited to hear of someone who can land some jumps.:agree:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I don't mean to hurt the poor girl, i think she is sweet and probably tries relly hard, but right now i do't see her near the podium for a while. Rachael has no great spins or strech, her spirals are mediocre and she has no deadly triple axel or triple triple combonations. I think that Bebe has a much greater chance of finsihing with a medal if she can land those darn triple lutzes and stop poping her jumps at the end.

I don't mean to hurt the poor girl, i think she is sweet and probably tries relly hard, but right now i do't see her near the podium for a while. Rachael has no great spins or strech, her spirals are mediocre and she has no deadly triple axel or triple triple combonations. I think that Bebe has a much greater chance of finsihing with a medal if she can land those darn triple lutzes and stop poping her jumps at the end.
How many 14 year olds do you see that are more promising? I think what we are saying, at least I am, is that she can sneak on the podium but don't worry she can not go to Worlds.

I, personally think that American Ladies will change with new faces by the time we get to Los Angeles.

Joe

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Rachael can land all her jumps and BeBe hasn't been able to do that for the last 3 years. It is also my understanding that Rachael can do a 3/3 but wasn't putting it in her Regional and Sectional programs because of her back injury.

It kind of tickles me to recall a year ago when I thought Kimmie had no chance of winning a medal at Worlds. I thought the judges would mark her down in the PCS for being 'juniorish'. Boy, was I wrong! I find there are lots of parallels between Rachael and Kimmie: both were Novice Champions, Kimmie was the Junior Champion and Rachael, the Junior silver medalist. They are both very consistent jumpers, and people have pooh-poohed them both for not being polished enough.

Cal Girl

Rinkside
From what I hear about Rachael's training is that she is consistent with several 3/3 combinations, including Lutz/toe.
All the levels she attains in her spirals, spins, and footwork along with her jump consistency will keep her in the top. :agree:

chipso1

Rinkside
I agree that Flatt will be at least in the top 6 this year at Nationals...possibly even higher. Since she's uber consistent with the jumps, I think the only things that would hold her down in the standings are her PCS and the GOEs on some of her spin and spiral positions.

I'm guessing she'll finish 3rd or 4th though, considering the dismal performances of Bebe, Alissa, Katy, and Christine on the GP this season.