Arena now open for booking | Golden Skate

Arena now open for booking

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I put this in the US Nats forum but it is important information for anyone attending US Nats so I am double posting it here as time is of the essence.
The Arena hotel is now open for booking next to the Whole food store where the skaters hang out. Great cancellation policy. I paid $122 plus pirate fees.
I wouldnt putz around here. Just sayin'
Many thanks to Mfarone for letting me know. I am back from my honorary son's wedding and am off to Oshkosh Wisconsin in two days if anyone has any questions.
The last wedding I attended was my own 47 years ago! LOL!
1658249117929.png

Seven Sisters

Medalist
Would you believe that I am so ready for the announcement of the GP assignments that I clicked on this, hoping that it referred to the hockey game getting moved out of the Sheffield Arena—thus freeing it up so that the Grand Prix event can take place there? :)

Come on ISU! I’m checking hourly for news of those assignments!

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Would you believe that I am so ready for the announcement of the GP assignments that I clicked on this, hoping that it referred to the hockey game getting moved out of the Sheffield Arena—thus freeing it up so that the Grand Prix event can take place there? :)

Hummmmm....I am confused. The PLACE and TIME announcement happened, right? Actual people assignments will take longer with lots of TBAs. N'est Pas?

ucrgirl

On the Ice

I know. Somehow it feels like we don't know if the competitive season is happening but the assignments will make things feel official.

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Hummmmm....I am confused. The PLACE and TIME announcement happened, right? Actual people assignments will take longer with lots of TBAs. N'est Pas?
As of right this minute I don't think the 4th GP (replacement for China) has been decided. Rumor (per Hersh) is that the 4th GP is going to Sheffield England but it seems like there are scheduling conflicts which need to be resolved. So, as far as I know, the 4th GP has not been assigned yet and we won't see skaters assigned until this is resolved.

As for the Arena Hotel....it is up to fans to make their own determination about the hotel. I stayed there in 2012 and it as ok.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
@CoyoteChris loves it and I have heard good things from other people who have stayed there. But it seems they have discontinued the free breakfast.
I would imagine that due to staff concerns (ah la Super 8) yes, the free breakfast has been discontinued. And daily bed making. I am seeing cutbacks all over the west. (Tomorrow I am off to Oshkosh....) I am hoping that for the event, the Whole foods store remains open. Dont know if the in room jaccuzis are still turned on. I stayed there twice. I have no complaints. Here are the reviews from one sourse...the flamingo comes in a bit lower, but I take all reviews with a grain of salt. If Panda express in Spokane closes I starve to death anyway. Lets hope the whole foods store stays open. Anyway, I am keeping both reservations for now in case one closes. California does not have contract law or a bill of rights, just like the airlines dont. They dont owe you squat if they cancel you.
arean.jpg

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
As of right this minute I don't think the 4th GP (replacement for China) has been decided. Rumor (per Hersh) is that the 4th GP is going to Sheffield England but it seems like there are scheduling conflicts which need to be resolved. So, as far as I know, the 4th GP has not been assigned yet and we won't see skaters assigned until this is resolved.

As for the Arena Hotel....it is up to fans to make their own determination about the hotel. I stayed there in 2012 and it as ok.
I admit that I am spoiled with walking 100 yards to breakfast one way to the whole foods store and 100 yards the other to the drug store. Its nothing special but its also nothing bad, IMHO. For $132 in an era of 9 percent inflation in a major metro area, its good enough for me. And if it closes, I still have the flamingo.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Go read the reviews before you book. Doesn't even look safe IMHO.
The underpass to the arena must be negotiated but if there are people about, and there will be lots of them when skating lets out....it will be OK. And that holds for the Flamingo and Motel 6 as well. every room at the arena hotel will be booked so there will be lots of fans. First time I went there, the person at the front desk asked me if there was an old people's convention in town. True story. There are people on those review sites that would complain if they were hung with a new rope....I have posted one review for the local places.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
When I stayed at the Arena Hotel in 2018, it was ok. The rooms were a bit tired looking. The buffet breakfast was not a big fancy buffet but was perfectly fine. If I were attending Nats this upcoming season, I would definitely stay there. You can't beat the convenience, and I loved having the Whole Foods right there (with lots of skaters eating there!) and the drug store too.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I would imagine that due to staff concerns (ah la Super 8) yes, the free breakfast has been discontinued. And daily bed making. I am seeing cutbacks all over the west. (Tomorrow I am off to Oshkosh....) I am hoping that for the event, the Whole foods store remains open. Dont know if the in room jaccuzis are still turned on. I stayed there twice. I have no complaints. Here are the reviews from one sourse...the flamingo comes in a bit lower, but I take all reviews with a grain of salt. If Panda express in Spokane closes I starve to death anyway. Lets hope the whole foods store stays open. Anyway, I am keeping both reservations for now in case one closes. California does not have contract law or a bill of rights, just like the airlines dont. They dont owe you squat if they cancel you.
View attachment 5508
Holiday Inn Express still has their breakfast. Not that there's one in the area, just saying. I'm staying at one for Philly International if I go.

SkateSand

Rinkside
The breakfast at the Arena was a nice touch. It will be missed. The difference in price between the Flamingo and the Arena is considerable when you are staying for several days and are on a limited budget, like I am. I would normally have stayed at the Arena, but since decent prices weren't available at the time I was making my reservation, I'm probably staying where I am. The difference in the price will pay for a lot of margaritas. ;)