Article: Daisuke Takahashi | Golden Skate

Article: Daisuke Takahashi

NatachaHatawa

Final Flight
This guy is just amazing! I reackon he's gonna be world champ (even though I would like my national Babou to win)!
Mmmm it's true that Morozov doesn't seem to have that much humility, but I prefer someone who's upfront about their qualities than someone who is fakely humble just to get praise. At least he's honest - and truthful!

I remember the first time I saw Daisuke skate, it was at the 05 world champs and, although his programs sort of went pear shaped I saw potential in him, and I guess I wasn't wrong!

jennylovskt

Medalist
Thank you very much for the link! It's a great article.

Even though I want Lambiel to win, I think Takahashi will be gold this time. He is truly amazing in both artistic and technical sides.

Morozov is rising, like it or not. I am gaining more respect on him.

netnuts

Match Penalty
Lambiel

I prefer Lambiel & Brian, especially Lambiel.

But for the time being, Takahashi's technical ability is second to none, he probably deserves the gold medal at worlds. Lambiel's inability to nail 3a and skate clean programs is truly frustrating.

Winnipeg

Final Flight
QUOTE=Antilles;303166]Great article! Thanks for posting. I think Morozov could use a dose of humility. ;)[/QUOTE]

I don't see it in his eyes............................:rolleye:[

I know he is married to a former skater - does anyone recall which one?

Wrlmy

Medalist
The worlds title is his if Takahashi can repeat his performance at 4cc. I can't even see perfectly healthy Brian Joubert beating that performance. And Morozov is a great coach! But I wish Miki Ando would hire another choreagrapher for at least one program next year. Maybe she should go back to David Wilson unless he's too loyal to Yu-na.

netnuts

Match Penalty
Am I too sensitive? I found this one is a bit creepy...
Morozov, who spent last Christmas and New Year’s in Japan, said Nagamitsu is like a second mother to Takahashi. “He stays with her when he is in Japan,” Morozov said. “When he is Japan and when I cannot be there, then she is watching out for him.”

Morozov has a similar parental role when Takahashi is in America. “I stay at Nikolai’s house when I practice in the U.S.,” Takahashi said.

Especially following all the buzz surrounding him following his silver medal performance at 2007 wrlds...
Takahashi wept with joy and hugged Morozov afterwards while thunderous applause filled the arena...

Does Miki also stay in Morozov's house while she's training in the states?

Last edited:

Antilles

Medalist
what I don't get is....how can he coach singles skaters so well when he used to be an ice dancer?

I don't think one would have to have been a singles skater to coach it at an elite level. The skaters he works with have already learned how to do the jumps and spins. He's just taking them to another level. He'd have a lot of first-hand knowledge about footwork, edge quality, musical interpretation etc. Mental preparedness and physical stamina would be the same, regardless of the discipline.

I like confidence, but I think Morozov takes it beyond that. Having too high an opinion of oneself can lead "blindspots" in regards to one's own faults (which we all have). His quotes make him sound like he is taking all of the credit for his skaters, as if they had nothing to do with their own successes.

jennylovskt

Medalist
what I don't get is....how can he coach singles skaters so well when he used to be an ice dancer?

Tatiana Tarasova was an ice dancer if I am not mistaking.

Especially following all the buzz surrounding him following his silver medal performance at 2007 wrlds...

I'd like to point out that Daisuke and Miki are adults. They are responsible for their own acts. It's not like that Morozov was commiting a crime or something.

Winnipeg

Final Flight
I thought Tarasova was a pairs skater.....................?

I agree with the comment about his high opinion............it could get in the way of his ongoing development and improvement in his role and he could overlook a bad chor. step etc just because it was 'his idea.' He's an attractive man but if he is as narcissistic as it sounds.............the good looks would wear thin quite quickly.

Re the question re marraige, I do not know who is married to now.

Medusa

Record Breaker
Re the question re marraige, I do not know who is married to now.

Yeah, I looked him up at Wikipedia - and after having done that I don't think his private life is worthy of discussion... And I used to live in France for some time...

About his confidence - I loved the way Tarasova used to praise Yagudin, that he was so talented etc. Most people think Yagudin became this nice mixture of macho on ice and artistic actor because of Tarasova - but Tarasova always praised Yagudin... :biggrin:

Morosov sounds to me a bit - power-hungry? He is shaping the skaters - they are "his" creation. And I don't like that, he doesn't sound confident, he sounds narcissistic.

Oh, and I still think that Takahashi was overmarked at 4CC.

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
Yes, some great cover story. Loved Daisuke's pics, too.

As for Morozov, I think he'll become a darling and a great coach with a remarkable vision the day Adam Rippon wins a worlds.

debdelilah

On the Ice
Oh, and I still think that Takahashi was overmarked at 4CC.

I think he himself thinks the mark was too high...that's why he was laughing after wondering if the score would increase if he improved. I thought that myself, that he could improve(no mistake on the loop, higher levels, even better performance) and still not reach the same high score with different judges.
Did you see how confused he and Morozov looked when the score came up after the short program...they were so confused they even stopped looking happy for awhile, but after the lp, they just took it in stride.

terpskate4ever

Rinkside
Thanks very much for the link, Geesesk8! I think that the format of this article would have been better if it had fully concentrated on Daisuke's opinions and Morosov could have had a second article to express his (so one doesn't detract from the other).

Quote from Daisuke on the 4CC scoring (translated by one of his fans on the Daisuke Takahashi Fan Forum)-

Q:The score exceeded the all-time no.1 score which Plushenko marked at at Torino Olympics.

D:I didn't expect such high score.... I'm happy frankly because I've never got such high score. But I think the standard of judging between Olympics and 4CC is different so I don't care much about it. To win and to do my own performance, these are what I always think most important. Simply I was surprised that I could win with big lead from Jeff. The fact that the judges admitted me up to here give me confidence. I will practice harder so I'd like them to give me more points next time. (laugh)

Daisuke is right so let's chill about this.

Last edited:

Bennett

Record Breaker

Hahaha. I do agree that Morosov seems to have emotional engagement with his students and I don't know if this is Russian way or anything but he sounds very intimate even though I do not see it "creepy." His style seems to work well with Daisuke and Miki. Daisuke has had nerve issues and he seems to have gotten really anxious at competitions. Miki also has had emotional ups and downs. So I think it good for both that Morosov keeps up strong, high spirit and being so dependable as a parent figure.