Ashley Wagner's future | Golden Skate

Ashley Wagner's future

Ginask8s

On the Ice
Has anybody noticed that Ashley got 2nd in her event and has not received much attention from Icenetwork or USFSA?

Mangomango

On the Ice
I honestly don't really know why she isn't receiving much attention...
I love the way she skates. It's powerful and it's such fun to watch her. She's got that natural flare and experience, plus she really glides across the ice.
(Her Russian splits are amazing)

Everyone knows her problems with UR, spins and jump consistency but I think she's one of the few skaters left that really knows how to capture the essence of 'performing'.
But they were saying that judges are not so generous to Ashley now because she criticised them and the ISU... And most comments on her SC short was "OMG you copied Michelle Kwan it's so boring why is everyone and their mama skating to Spartacus" etc etc.
Maybe this is why there isn't much attention to her now.

Skategmt

On the Ice
Yes, I picked up on that also. I also noticed that she didn't go for her 3-3 in both programs. She has to start going for them in GP events so that she is consistent on them for deeper competition fields with more highly regarded skaters, (4C,US Nats, Wrlds ect.) She cant beat a the Russians , Gracie, and Polina with out a 3-3 unless she has an inflated PCS.

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
Yes, I picked up on that also. I also noticed that she didn't go for her 3-3 in both programs. She has to start going for them in GP events so that she is consistent on them for deeper competition fields with more highly regarded skaters, (4C,US Nats, Wrlds ect.) She cant beat a the Russians , Gracie, and Polina with out a 3-3 unless she has an inflated PCS.

But, the major problem is that Ashley did outscore both Polina and Gracie without that 3-3 combo and without those generous PCS (Gracie at SA) this GP season so far. I agree that she can't contend against the Russians without a 3-3, but the fact that she beat the other Americans without it should send signals to the USFSA that they're putting their eggs in the wrong basket.

Gracie and Polina are better skaters than Ashley technically, but if they can't deliver it when it counts like Ashley usually does, their abilities are moot.

iceberg

On the Ice
I think she's a great skater, she channels me that old-glamour figure skating aura, her programs are really good, BUT she's just not that charismatic. Sometimes when you're not charismatic you have to be like insanely good just so you get noticed.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Has anybody noticed that Ashley got 2nd in her event and has not received much attention from Icenetwork or USFSA?

Your question is meaningless. Any lack of attention is not a reflection on Wagner.

Jason Brown and Denney/Frazier did not receive much attention after their silvers at Skate America .... until they competed again at Rostelecom.

Chock/Bates did not receive much attention after their gold at Skate America .... until they competed again at Rostelecom.

Wagner will receive attention when she competes at TEB this week. :yes:

Ginask8s

On the Ice
"Gold takes Bronze at Skate America" There was a nice article about that. I think Ashley deserves some love too. She is a former national champ and does add some spice to the current ladies competing both at home and internationally. In any event, I hope you are correct and that she will get some media attention this week!

anyanka

Record Breaker
She'll likely medal at TEB and qualify for the GPF. Then she'll get some more attention. ;)
But good observation from CanadianSkaterGuy about her score, which she accomplished without a 3-3.
Question though: if she doesn't have the technical firepower / arsenal like the others do and they all go clean, then she'll likely fall down the standings. She won't be 15th or anything that low, but she'll just float between 5th and 9th, a solid 7th?

R.D.

Record Breaker
Considering how Wagner handled things when the spotlight WAS on her, it's probably better this way anyway.

Wagner does best flying under the radar, having to prove that she belongs where she wants to belong.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wagner needs Gracie to make mistakes like she did at SA that's the only reason she has a higher score this season. Gold was mediocre at SA but if she's clean Ashley won't beat her.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Gracie and Polina are better skaters than Ashley technically, but if they can't deliver it when it counts like Ashley usually does, their abilities are moot.

Ashley usually does well in a non pressure events. In the big events, she crumbled hard. Look at her past 2 National outings.
She's not anymore consistent than these two.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I wonder if the pressure to get to the GPF will get to Ashley at TEB - at this point it looks like she may be the only US lady in contention for the final since 4 of the slots will most likely go to Russians and the other may be Japanese (Rika or Satoko?). I hope she doesn't crumble and skates like she did at SC (or even better!).

Perhaps if Gracie takes the Gold at NHK she will make the final, but that's a big IF.

Last edited:

Scovies

Final Flight
Ashley usually does well in a non pressure events. In the big events, she crumbled hard. Look at her past 2 National outings.
She's not anymore consistent than these two.

Ashley seems to let the pressure get to her at nationals, but what about everything else? She's got 6 Grand Prix medals (2 gold) since 2011-12, and medalled at the last 2 GP finals. She's also got two top-5 finishes at Worlds, a 4 Continents win, and a strong showing at the Olympics, IMO (she really did get low-balled in PCS there compared to some other competitors).

She won't reach the podium at worlds without a consistent 3-3, but her track record at international events is very strong.

coolboogie22

Match Penalty
I like her skating much better this season! :clap: Instead of making triple/triple jumps that she isn't feeling confortable with it, I much prefer to see her having a good and powerful skating with jumps that she feel confortable. Her performance this season are my favorite. I also like Gedevanishvili for having a conservative technical arsenal but she delivers a great job at Skate America. This was great! :rock: Having sense with the music is also important in figure skating, the young girl jumping beans can do the jumps, but they lack of artistic ability. Ashley Wagner will get attention by TEB, I'm pretty sure, she is a dark horse.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I think the reason Ashley doesn't get as much attention is that she isn't young and exciting. Ashley is still one of our best women but she has probably already peaked, whereas Gracie and Polina may (or may not) improve in the future.

Barb

Record Breaker
It is definitly better for her, Gracie looks bad because everyone are expecting too much.

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
Ashley will keep competing and being consistent (for the most part),
And that will allow her to be present and ready when opportunities strike.

Last edited:

noskates

Record Breaker
Some really good points being made in this thread. I don't think Ashley is finished - just like I don't think Gracie is washed up because of a couple bad performances. I think the next 3 years will see the two of them and Polina going back and forth on the podium levels and pushing each other and hopefully the Olympics will have some successful skates. I don't think any of us, who haven't competed, have any idea what the pressure is on these elite skaters and what it does to them. It always makes me sad when posters rip them to shreds anonymously on the internet.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I think the reason Ashley doesn't get as much attention is that she isn't young and exciting. Ashley is still one of our best women but she has probably already peaked, whereas Gracie and Polina may (or may not) improve in the future.

Yup, kinda how I feel about the situation as well.

But it's still funny to me that posters don't think Wagner gets any attention. How can anyone say that after Sochi? :laugh:

Wagner never thrived in the spotlight so I think her fans should actually be enjoying her being somewhat under the radar at this point (although I betcha if she does well at TEB, that will no longer be the case). Another thing to consider is that she is no longer the National Champ so naturally she won't be the "talk of the town" unless she did something really spectacular (which she hasn't).