Aura sky 100 opinions? | Golden Skate

Aura sky 100 opinions?

ontheice4

Spectator
Hi! I’m getting a new pair of skates, upgrading from my current Jackson freestyles. I’m starting (really early in the process) to work on my double loop and axel. I went to a skate shop to get a new pair and they suggested the aura sky 100s bc of the stiffness rating (I’m a plus size skater, 210lbs). I feel that they only are suggesting this skate bc of my weight and not my skating abilities. Based on my abilities, a Jackson debut seems more my level. I am afraid that these skates will be too big of a step up from my current and pair given I just want to learn doubles and am only just starting the process.
What are your thoughts?
It’s a really big investment and I don’t want to spend all of that money on skates that are meant for skaters at a much higher level than me.
Should I go with the auras or another pair of Jackson’s?

Last edited:

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
Hi! I’m getting a new pair of skates, upgrading from my current Jackson freestyles. I’m starting (really early in the process) to work on my double loop and axel. I went to a skate shop to get a new pair and they suggested the aura sky 100s bc of the stiffness rating (I’m a plus size skater, 210lbs). I feel that they only are suggesting this skate bc of my weight and not my skating abilities. Based on my abilities, a Jackson debut seems more my level. I am afraid that these skates will be too big of a step up from my current and pair given I just want to learn doubles and am only just starting the process.
What are your thoughts?
It’s a really big investment and I don’t want to spend all of that money on skates that are meant for skaters at a much higher level than me.
Hi! I have to admit this was the first I'd heard of Aura skates, and I had to look them up. Embarrassing, because I see they're a Canadian brand, and I'm in Canada and I guess you are, too? I can't give you any advice yet because I've just started to read about them. They do mention they're designed for a wide range of body types, which may be why your skate shop advised them for a plus size skater. Or possibly the brand isn't widely available yet and your skate shop is eager to be among the first to sell them? (Especially because there are supply issues with ordering so many of the more established boots and blades.) I don't mean that in any disparaging way to the shop, just that I can see them having gambled on something new to the market and were happy to welcome a customer who seemed to be a good candidate for them.

I suppose now I'll find that they're widely known, just not in the Vancouver area where I am :palmf:. They appear to be a Winnipeg company? I'll leave this for now to others who may know more about Auras and can be more helpful. I'll do some more research on them myself out of curiosity, although I wear Risports now after decades of wearing Jacksons. I just didn't want you to feel your question was being ignored, especially as you're being modest about the level of boots you need.

Good luck! :cheer::hap10:

Elija

On the Ice
Gotta be honest, I have never had auras, but everyone I know who has tried them has not had a good experience. Their selling point used to be that they were full custom, but now with their stock boots I’m not entirely sure what the advantage of them is. If Jacksons fit you I would probably just go up a stiffness in those.

suppose now I'll find that they're widely known, just not in the Vancouver area where I am :palmf:. They appear to be a Winnipeg company?
Pretty well known now yes. They’ve relatively new as far as skate brands go but have been around for quite a few years. I’m in Australia and know of plenty of people who wear them, but as I said, most have had problems and are planning to switch or have already switched brands. Their selling point used to be that they did a 3d scan of your foot and their boots were all custom (although I also heard this process had issues). Now they make stock boots. A few high profile Canadian skaters wear them, so you may have seen them without realising (Nam Nguyen and Kaiya Ruiter come to mind).

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
Gotta be honest, I have never had auras, but everyone I know who has tried them has not had a good experience. Their selling point used to be that they were full custom, but now with their stock boots I’m not entirely sure what the advantage of them is. If Jacksons fit you I would probably just go up a stiffness in those.

Pretty well known now yes. They’ve relatively new as far as skate brands go but have been around for quite a few years. I’m in Australia and know of plenty of people who wear them, but as I said, most have had problems and are planning to switch or have already switched brands. Their selling point used to be that they did a 3d scan of your foot and their boots were all custom (although I also heard this process had issues). Now they make stock boots. A few high profile Canadian skaters wear them, so you may have seen them without realising (Nam Nguyen and Kaiya Ruiter come to mind.
:thank: My education has been expanded. Somehow that brand never made it onto my radar. Sounds as if they won't make it onto my feet either ;)

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
What are your thoughts?
No harm in trying on the Auras (provided you can cope with the fact that they are hideous) but if you're happy and comfortable in Jacksons, I'd have thought that another pair of Jacksons would be a better idea. Based on your weight and the fact that you are starting doubles, I would recommend bypassing Debuts and go up to either Premieres or Synergy. @Ic3Rabbit will be able to advise you further. You can also ask your fitter exactly why they are recommending the Auras and see if you're happy with the answer!

I see a smattering of elite skaters in Auras (almost certainly the custom version) but I have yet to find anybody at a lower level who has had a good experience. I'm sure there are people who will sing their praises, but I have yet to meet them.

leia1979

Rinkside
If Jackson fits you well, I'd stick with them. Debut is not enough, though--I had Debut at 130lbs and no axel. Premiere or maybe higher.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
I managed to refrain from writing this in my post above, but they are indeed the most hideous skates I’ve ever seen.
I thought that when I looked them up and saw them for the first time. But then I thought maybe it was just a generational thing. "In MY day we wore simple, plain boots! Didn't look like something patched together from bits and pieces off the maker's bench!" (thumps cane on floor of porch beside rocking chair) :rolleyes:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
What are your thoughts?
Hi and welcome! With your stats (weight etc) you should have NEVER ever been put in a Jackson freestyle. They are in NO way stiff enough for your needs especially jumping doubles and axel. You should have never been jumping in them either.

I do not recommend the Aura Sky for you. Too risky and way too expensive for your needs right now.
Were you professionally fitted (not just at a pro shop by someone that doesn't know figure skating)?
What is your foot shape (look this up), arch height: low, regular, high, very high?

Adelie

Spectator
I have extremely wide, slightly overpronated feet and the only boots that really work for me are Auras. Ever since I got them, my progress has been phenomenal. I’ve never felt this comfortable with any skates (I’ve had different models from Riedell, Edea and Risport, always with the widest possible fit) so I’m definitely going to stay with Auras and as long as they help me skate the way I do now, I couldn’t care less if someone thinks they’re ugly 🤤

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
The main issue I see people having with the stock boots is kneebend (more specifically ankle bend). They are very tough to bend in, so a lot of skaters (even ones who are still able to jump and spin) can't get good kneebend (without pain). Many top level skaters who are doing triples/quads don't seem to have the same issues (maybe due to ankle stength, or simply battering the boots down from jumping), but compared to the currently non-existant aura customs the bend mechanism is different, and from an observational standpoint functions worse than the customs (that are already tougher to bend in than most boots). Fit wise, I think they are almost comparable to Edea but with more narrow at ankle (although have multiple widths), I won't say the fit is unsuitable but as a boot I would not recommend them due to the kneebend issues I see people having.

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
I have extremely wide, slightly overpronated feet and the only boots that really work for me are Auras. Ever since I got them, my progress has been phenomenal. I’ve never felt this comfortable with any skates (I’ve had different models from Riedell, Edea and Risport, always with the widest possible fit) so I’m definitely going to stay with Auras and as long as they help me skate the way I do now, I couldn’t care less if someone thinks they’re ugly 🤤
I've seen people who think the Ice Flys and/or Pianos are ugly (I think they're gorgeous).
People will have different preferences and what is beautiful for some, it's not for others.

The figure skate fitter shop the coaches/skaters at my rink use is Japan's only dealer for Aura skates.
I remember when they started taking reservations/fittings for the Auras and pre orders when the Auras were released. They were sold out very, very quickly.

I personally am very satisfied with my Edea Ice Flys, feel them very comfortable in my feet and had no issues since I started wearing them. But the Auras intrigue me, especially the custom mades.
Maybe in the future I'll gift myself a pair. I can't stand skates that strangle my ankles, and if the Auras custom can be made with a loose ankle fit, then I have nothing to lose trying them out. If they're a bad fit for my feet, then I got myself a new room decoration (I personally don't think they're ugly at all!) 😂

Adelie

Spectator
I had Edea Ice Flys D width before Auras and the biggest difference is actually the sole of the skates, which just didn’t work for me (and my low arched feet) with Edeas, even though the D width as such was perfect for me. So my advice for anyone considering Auras, is to give them a chance 🙂

Adelie

Spectator
I had Edea Ice Flys D width before Auras and the biggest difference is actually the sole of the skates, which just didn’t work for me (and my low arched feet) with Edeas, even though the D width as such was perfect for me. From the first moment I put my Auras on, I felt I was in much better control and my feet haven’t hurt a single time since, not during practice or afterwards. It really is like skating in your most comfortable heels 😄 So my advice for anyone considering Auras, is to give them a chance 🙂

chen395115205

Spectator
I have exp with both aura sky 100 boots and aura custom, and also have seen the sky 200.
I recommend you try it out if ever possible before buying them. The stiffness of both aura skates are NOT FOR BEGINERS ! When my skate tech first received samples of 100 and 200, we can put it this way, the 100 is similar to edea piano( at least ice fly ) and stiffer than Jackson supreme. And 200 feel quite significantly stiffer than the EDEA piano.
Yes they are light weight and if you don't mind the look they have really great performance(but just not for beginners or even intermediate levels LOL ). But understand that according to my experiences:
losing lots of weight is nice bc u get lesss fatigue training for longer hrs and prob can jump higher and rotate a bit faster. It also will make you accelerate faster on ice(if you are not comfortable with speed this is a negative) , and one piece boot construction they boast actually will reduce the fault tolerance due to the increase power transfer efficiency. Giving you example if you doing something right inside of the spin it makes ur spin faster but if your user input has major flaws , it makes u fall out of the spin faster LOL
An analogy i give ppl would be : Making your skating skills and experiences alike to car driving experiences and skills
Your jackson freestyle would be like a reliable commute cars, it does everything it should and well and very esay to drive, even they are not fast.
Aura skates are like high end sports/ race cars or even like formula 1s, if your driving skills aren't precise enough its just not the best choice and you know the reasons.

In summary, if you are going to train long hours on ice such as 10+ hours per week, have quite decent skating skills( recommend intermediate or above moves test passed) or working on 2A and possibly triples. If you meet any of these then auras will be great choice. There is another condition I would recommend auras, that is you had pervious injuries that requires additional protections on foot and ankles, which auras extra stiffness will make you feel safer.