Autograph etiquette | Golden Skate

Autograph etiquette

gleungc6

On the Ice
Hi all, I’m going to one of the Grand Prix events later this year and it will be my first competition that I will attend! I would love to bring my old skates to get an autograph if possible, but I have no idea how to go about doing this, and what the etiquette is. Does anyone have any experience getting autographs, or know of any ‘no-no’s’ when trying to get some? I’d like to be as respectful as possible of the skaters, and don’t want to bother them!

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If you attend the practice sessions, wait until the skaters are done with their respective practices. You might be able to chat with them briefly & ask them to autograph your skates/other items. Good luck!

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
I agree with what's posted above: after practice sessions is what worked for me, either at the rinkside, or in front of the venue if the skater entrance is accessible and fans can queue at a respectable distance from it. Checking with the security guys beforehand might be a good idea: I have only been to Challengers and B events so far, but I hear the security rules are stricter at the GP. A friend told me it was impossible to give gifts and get autographs during competitions at last year's GP Italy when the competition was underway, though at a small event, you can sometimes get away with it if you're unobtrusive, keep your distance, and the skater is finished with their performance and has already left KnC. I don't think I'll repeat it though; I took the risk a few years back, but it's likely impolite toward whoever is on the ice, even if you're in a corner somewhere and don't obstruct other spectators' view. :scratch2: I bet this will not be allowed during GP though.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think @moonvine is the expert on this!
Well, I try! The smaller comp you go to, the better chance you have of getting autographs. If you are in the US I can give US specific advice. BRING YOUR OWN SHARPIES/PENS WHATEVER. NO ONE WILL HAVE ANY. I have backups. I use gold/silver/bronze sharpies and gold/silver pens, depending on what I'm having signed. Do NOT get skates signed with pens, they will smear. Bring your own flags/autograph books/pictures/skates/programs. Assume no one will have paper.

After practice is usually when I get things signed. If it's a small enough comp they let you stand by the skater's exit. I doubt they will let you do that at a GP, so when the practice is over go to the seating area closest to the skater's exit and call to them when they leave the ice. IF you have any special gifts for them give them at that time. That's where I give Gracie her roses, I can't throw them on the ice.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
You may not actually be allowed to bring your skates.

I went to US Nationals in 2019 and brought my skates for the Edea techs to look at and I very nearly wasn't let in. In the end a security guard insisted on accompanying me to the Edea booth and insisted I had to cloak-check the skates immediately when they were done. Crazy stuff.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I went to US Nationals in 2019 and brought my skates for the Edea techs to look at and I very nearly wasn't let in. In the end a security guard insisted on accompanying me to the Edea booth and insisted I had to cloak-check the skates immediately when they were done. Crazy stuff.
That's so weird. I took my skate to Nationals in...2020 I think. Whenever they were in Greensboro. But I took them straight in to FOFS breakfast and then took them back out to my car (I didn't want to be dragging a skate around all day).

spinningdancer

Rinkside

I think it depends partly on venue, but also, security is just getting tighter and tighter. I went to Nationals in 2018, and also volunteered at the event, and security was honestly pretty lax. My day to day purse is a large tote, and they barely even searched it. Now, that same venue only allows clear plastic bags/purses to be brought in, and I think they have to fit specific size requirements.

Also, back in 2018, for the first week or so of Nationals, all the skate vendors were set up at a practice rink, which was open to the general public and held public skating, group lessons, freestyles sessions, etc. as usual while the event was taking place. The lower level events, including the Junior Short program, were held at this facility as well. This made it easy to go see a skate tech for whatever brand you needed. Now though, Nationals is a shorter event, without some of the lower level events, and I'd be surprised if vendors even bother to set up at the practice rink.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Small competitions : at ACI, they were holding the medal ceremony in a foyer... and there, it was easy to get autographs... I only got Sorensen's because well... I just couldn't pass on that opportunity.... :) he thought it was hilarious because everyone was lining up to get an autograph with Laurence... and I was the only one asking for his... :) that was before they represented Canada... Laurence probably had more fans from having grown up in local clubs... Nik's autograph is really artistic and gorgeous btw... if ever you've got the chance, I recommend it :)

LadyB

Record Breaker
After practice or when skaters are hanging around in the arena's communal areas. When you're in the same hotel as the skaters, you might have great chances in the hotel lobby or lifts when they're coming back from practice or competition. Hotel bars can be good meeting points as well. ;)
I agree with @moonvine 's list of things to bring along. Also organise them in a way you can grab them easily, including mobile phone for selfies/pictures. Sightings can be sudden and things might move along quickly.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think it depends partly on venue, but also, security is just getting tighter and tighter. I went to Nationals in 2018, and also volunteered at the event, and security was honestly pretty lax. My day to day purse is a large tote, and they barely even searched it. Now, that same venue only allows clear plastic bags/purses to be brought in, and I think they have to fit specific size requirements.

Also, back in 2018, for the first week or so of Nationals, all the skate vendors were set up at a practice rink, which was open to the general public and held public skating, group lessons, freestyles sessions, etc. as usual while the event was taking place. The lower level events, including the Junior Short program, were held at this facility as well. This made it easy to go see a skate tech for whatever brand you needed. Now though, Nationals is a shorter event, without some of the lower level events, and I'd be surprised if vendors even bother to set up at the practice rink.
Before Brent left, I asked him about this. He said exceptions are made for our (USFS) events and not to worry about bringing gigantic bags of stuffies. Of course he is no longer there, so I can't double check. If you're in a wheelchair they don't even look at you really.