Average Height of Male and Female Skaters | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Average Height of Male and Female Skaters

janetfan

Match Penalty
Some laughable stats from icenetwork

Stephan Lambiel is 5'10"
Alena Leonova is 5'5"
Elene Gedevanishvilli is 5'3"

I have a feeling those are all wrong....

Sometimes heights don't get updated and sometimes the heights listed are just wrong.

seniorita

Record Breaker
I know you joke now but Plushy stands next to pair skaters who are tall..and Shabalin! I have a photo with Plushy and Joubert off the ice and they are from 1.78 to 1.80 for sure next to me. I dont say how it seems on tv, I say how it is. I hardly can call them half pints unless I am a quarter of a pin for usa standars.

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
I know you joke now but Plushy stands next to pair skaters who are tall..I have a photo with Plushy and Joubert off the ice and they are from 1.78 to 1.80 for sure next to me. I dont say how it seems on tv, I say how it is. I hardly can call them half pints unless I am a quarter of a pin for usa standars.

Of course I joke - but they are not tall. Why a problem? If it makes you happy I will be glad to say they are both taller than Evan. :)

seniorita

Record Breaker
i didnt say there is a problem if they are tall or not, i just pointed out they are indeed 5' 10" , now i dont know if this is this tall or not for usa but the height is correct.
Nobody is taller than Evan ;)

janetfan

Match Penalty
i didnt say there is a problem if they are tall or not, i just pointed out they are indeed 5' 10" , now i dont know if this is this tall or not for usa but the height is correct.
Nobody is taller than Evan ;)

Actually, I am taller than Evan but he is a better dancer :laugh:

Add Sandhu to the ranks of tall skaters who can do quads. Of course, there are times when he can barely skate. But when he does, he's got quads. I'm not familiar with Beata Papp. I'll have to look her up. She sounds impressive!

YuNa seems tall for a skater. I don't know how Mao compares to her in height, but I gather she's quite a bit over 5 feet. It's nice that two of the world's best jumpers aren't peanuts. I was under the impression that Zhang was one of the taller American skaters, but that might just be her proportions. So Mirai is taller than she? Interesting.

One of the tiniest skaters is apparently Midori Ito. She looks so solid and muscular that for some reason I always assumed she was at least five-three, but I read that she's about four-ten. Can anyone verify this?

I think Browning is about five-six or so, and that Michelle is about five-two.

sigrid

On the Ice
Some laughable stats from icenetwork

Stephan Lambiel is 5'10"
Alena Leonova is 5'5"
Elene Gedevanishvilli is 5'3"

I have a feeling those are all wrong....
I can't translate them into cm. but after meeting Lambiel and Elene, I can say that their heights in their ISU bios aren't really exact. I mean, I'm 1.57 and I'm taller than Elene (like 5cm more) and the ISU says she's 1.59

Yu-Na surprised me when I met her, I thought she was smaller

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Plushy is also listed as 5'10. But check out the Russian team pic from last season and Plushy is the shortest guy and even a few of the Russian girls look taller than him. No big deal, but Joubert and Plush are basically what we call half-pints by USA standards. Great jumpers though!

:laugh: So all US men's skaters are half-pints or quarter-pints except Lysacek and Bradley?:laugh:

seniorita

Record Breaker
just read that Bradley is joining KOI automn tour by the way! :hb:
I Yuna didnt seem too big to me, I didnt see her off ice, but she is more thin than tv and has very long legs, Zhang is certainly not on the tall side, and Sasha is too small.

janetfan

Match Penalty
:laugh: So all US men's skaters are half-pints or quarter-pints except Lysacek and Bradley?:laugh:

Yes, that would not be too far off. But not all.........
Scott was not a half-pint or quarter-pint, he was an eighth -pint :)

Last edited:

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
just read that Bradley is joining KOI automn tour by the way! :hb:
I Yuna didnt seem too big to me, I didnt see her off ice, but she is more thin than tv and has very long legs, Zhang is certainly not on the tall side, and Sasha is too small.

Interesting! I guess it's because Bradley is available at that time when others are not. And they won't ever pick Buttle and Lysacek.

Yu Na is very tall in Asian standard, even among the average in general population.

Yes, that would not be too far off. But not all.........
Scott was not a half-pint or quarter-pint, he was an eighth -pint :)

:biggrin: What's the average Americans' hight?

Last edited:
I think someone said that for men the average height is five-ten (don't know what that is in centmeters; sorry). Scott is about five-two. His growth was apparently stunted by a serious illness he had as a child. He's small even for a skater.

The thing about the U.S. is that because we have such a diverse, multi-ethnic population, there are many people well below the average height as well as many people well above it. I think that in some more homogeneous countries, the extremes might be closer to the average because the genetic pool is less varied. So in communities with, for instance, a lot of east Asians or people from the Andes, the average height would be less. In areas with a lot of people from northern Europe, maybe the average would be greater.

Last edited:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Add Sandhu to the ranks of tall skaters who can do quads. Of course, there are times when he can barely skate. But when he does, he's got quads. I'm not familiar with Beata Papp. I'll have to look her up. She sounds impressive!

YuNa seems tall for a skater. I don't know how Mao compares to her in height, but I gather she's quite a bit over 5 feet. It's nice that two of the world's best jumpers aren't peanuts. I was under the impression that Zhang was one of the taller American skaters, but that might just be her proportions. So Mirai is taller than she? Interesting.

One of the tiniest skaters is apparently Midori Ito. She looks so solid and muscular that for some reason I always assumed she was at least five-three, but I read that she's about four-ten. Can anyone verify this?

I think Browning is about five-six or so, and that Michelle is about five-two.

http://www.chinapost.com.tw/news_images/20100130/p7c.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3486/3885041780_3c9d8a4cee.jpg

Caroline is visibly shorter than Mao and about the same size as Akiko and Joannie. Mao and Yuna are almost exactly the same height http://asianistablog.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/figure_skating_05c4.jpg?w=500&h=353
http://www.lifeskate.com/.a/6a00e54f7ecf2c883301310f3ed0dd970c-800wi
Joannie is about 2 inches shorter than both of them. So if Yuna and Mao are 5'4" (163-164 cm), then Caroline must be shorter than that, her ISU bio says 158 cm which seems accurate.

The best way to figure out Yuna's true height though is to find out the height of Brian Orser, there are several pictures of them together and Brian always looks about 1.5 to 2 inches taller than Yuna. Maybe he's a "quarter pint" type of man though?

Last edited:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I think someone said that for men the average height is five-ten (don't know what that is in centmeters; sorry). Scott is about five-two. His growth was apparently stunted by a serious illness he had as a child. He's small even for a skater.

The thing about the U.S. is that because we have such a diverse, multi-ethnic population, there are many people well below the average height as well as many people well above it. I think that in some more homogeneous countries, the extremes might be closer to the average because the genetic pool is less varied. So in communities with, for instance, a lot of east Asians or people from the Andes, the average height would be less. In areas with a lot of people from northern Europe, maybe the average would be greater.

Average heigh for white american male is 177 cm or 69.7 inches

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
I believe 5'10" in men is not considered short in US population. The thing is that most US skaters are much shorter than that. So 5'10" is actually tall in skaters' standard.

I'd agree with that, Bluebonnet. Five-ten is tall for a male skater, or certainly for a male singles skater. I don't want to use the word average in a non-mathematical sense (because I'm just guessing here), but to me the typical male singles skater is around five-six to maybe five-eight.

Interestingly, in terms of ladies' singles skaters, the typical height went down for awhile as the jumps got more complex. Peggy Fleming, Carol Heiss, Dorothy Hamill, and Janet Lynn were from five-two to five-four I think. Then, at the end of the school-figures era, there was that stretch of time with skaters that looked like gymnastic sprites. The age requirement for world competition has moved ladies' heights back up a bit.

Oh, we forgot Katarina Witt. She's kind of tall, isn't she? I'm not sure how tall, but I always imagined her to be about five-six.

Last edited:

ankka

Rinkside
Beata Papp of Finland is 5'9" (175 cm) and can do most of her triples :). She may still be growing too.

Oh goodness, she WAS 5 cm shorter last season... Wonder if she'll become something like 180 :D (She's also taller than her older brother Bela...)