Back circle 8 help! | Golden Skate

Back circle 8 help!

kinari

Rinkside
Country
United-States
Hey guys!
I'm testing my prejuvenile MITF by july 17 virtually, but I feel like I'm not ready for it at all. I had just started prejuv moves in April but after seeing my progress within the next two months she thought I would be ready in july. It was originally supposed to be recorded much later in July, but because of a surgery that I have before then, i have to record by july 17 and send it in then. I feel like most of my prejuv moves are fine except for my backward circle 8 :( I can maybe generate enough power to get around the circle (b/c i had previous experience with sports that required a lot of power) but I find myself to be rotating my upper body wayy to early and I can't get enough speed to finish the circle. I've been trying to work with my coach on my upper body rotation, but the deadline is coming up shortly and I'm not sure I can correct it by then, considering I'm only on the ice 3x a week b/c of my other activities and jobs.
Does anyone have any suggestions to help correct my early rotation, or have any off ice tips to help strengthen my back circle 8? I would really appreciate the help :)

emilinkaa

On the Ice
Country
Germany
I struggle with these as well. My inside edges are still rough, but outside has improved. And honestly, the only thing that helped is doing it over and over and over. I do mine in sets of 5 (so 5x back outside 8s, then 5x back inside 8s) and take a break. You can also refresh your hip and upper body placement by doing the back edges on a line, I can’t remember which MITF level those are, but do them while really focusing on your upper body and free hip placement. Good luck!

Minz

It's not over till it's over
Medalist
Country
United-States
Hey guys!
I'm testing my prejuvenile MITF by july 17 virtually, but I feel like I'm not ready for it at all. I had just started prejuv moves in April but after seeing my progress within the next two months she thought I would be ready in july. It was originally supposed to be recorded much later in July, but because of a surgery that I have before then, i have to record by july 17 and send it in then. I feel like most of my prejuv moves are fine except for my backward circle 8 :( I can maybe generate enough power to get around the circle (b/c i had previous experience with sports that required a lot of power) but I find myself to be rotating my upper body wayy to early and I can't get enough speed to finish the circle. I've been trying to work with my coach on my upper body rotation, but the deadline is coming up shortly and I'm not sure I can correct it by then, considering I'm only on the ice 3x a week b/c of my other activities and jobs.
Does anyone have any suggestions to help correct my early rotation, or have any off ice tips to help strengthen my back circle 8? I would really appreciate the help :)
What does your coach say?

kinari

Rinkside
Country
United-States
What does your coach say?
Coach says to pump like its a half swizzle and then let go of my foot shortly after to start me off, but i find it increasingly difficult to get enough power to last :(

kinari

Rinkside
Country
United-States
I struggle with these as well. My inside edges are still rough, but outside has improved. And honestly, the only thing that helped is doing it over and over and over. I do mine in sets of 5 (so 5x back outside 8s, then 5x back inside 8s) and take a break. You can also refresh your hip and upper body placement by doing the back edges on a line, I can’t remember which MITF level those are, but do them while really focusing on your upper body and free hip placement. Good luck!
Thank u for ur advice! <3 Will practice those next time I get on the ice

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
Sounds to me like you aren't sitting up over your hip and are causing yourself to slow down (probably too far forward). Once you push, you have to sit tall over the skating hip
I was a little kid doing school figures back in the day and had the same problem. My coach had to practically put a neck brace on me to get me to stop looking over my shoulder to see how far I still had to go. Every time my eyes turned, my head would turn and my weight over my hip would shift. So this would be my suggestion also. (I'm not an expert opinion, though. Getting away from figures was one of the reasons I went into pairs!)

treblemakerem

On the Ice
Have you done the exercise where you odor two crossrolls and then hold the edge for a full circle? That one helped me. You can do it forwards and backwards but it might be easier to do the backwards with just a regular edge push instead of the cross roll.

kinari

Rinkside
Country
United-States
Have you done the exercise where you odor two crossrolls and then hold the edge for a full circle? That one helped me. You can do it forwards and backwards but it might be easier to do the backwards with just a regular edge push instead of the cross roll.
Ooh sounds interesting! Ill be sure to practice that the next time i get on the ice <3

kinari

Rinkside
Country
United-States
Sounds to me like you aren't sitting up over your hip and are causing yourself to slow down (probably too far forward). Once you push, you have to sit tall over the skating hip
Lol sorry for the late reply! Thank u for ur advice and ill make sure to work on that the next time i get on the ice :)

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Make sure to fully bend your standing knee, pressing your ankle into your boot. This will help keep you on the back of the blade without having to lean backwards.