back flexibility | Golden Skate

back flexibility

anything_for_skating

Final Flight
I don't know about you, but I have problems with back flexibility, but if you work hard, if you stretch every evening for 30 minutes, it will work for sure...:biggrin:
Sure I do have a lot of very good exercises for back flexibility, but I don't know how to explain them on English...:frown:
Jus hard work, and you'll see the results.:agree:

Perry

Rinkside
The best way I've found if to lie on your back on a couch (perferably one with round, large-ish, and cushy armrests) and place your lower back over the armrest. Hold a book in your arms (don't start off too heavy -- a school textbook works well) and lean backwards over the armrest like you're doing a layback, only you're leaning towards the floor. Hold it until you get tired (it actually takes a bit of arm/ab strength too so that you don't go too far back -- if you're really weak in your arms/abs, this probably isn't the best thing to do) and increase how long you hold it/how far you go back every time you do it.

If your back starts hurting, though, especially when you're not stretching (usually it will start after you've been jumping for a while), take a break from stretching it, including doing laybacks.

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
My coaches both swear by yoga for general stretch and flexibility. Personally, I've noticed I've improved by doing a couple exercises/stretches at home. In one, I start standing and lean over backwards until I'm in a "crabwalk" position, palms and feet flat on the floor. I push my hips up and hold the arch, then roll forward back to my feet. I also do a backbend from a kneeling position, either reaching around and just arching my back to grab my ankles, or leaning all the way back to the floor. I also do a yoga position--lying flat on my stomach, I raise my upper body so my body is arched off the floor.

(Note that first, I am not a professional. This is just what I do. Second, unless you've got a good sense of balance and know you can stop yourself from falling over backwards, don't try the first one.)

VINLUVSKWAN

Rinkside
Hi, hope this helps regarding improving/maintaining back flexibility:
At home, you can rest against a dull-edged counter/table/banister that's high enough to accomodate your bending backwards with resistance. But make sure don't lean against something (i.e. stair banister) where you could fall from or hurt yourself.

Another harder way: If you've taken yoga, try the FACING UP TOWARD HEAVEN position:
Lie on a soft/carpeted/rubber mat ON YOUR BACK, slowly prop yourself up on all fours (as if you're in the middle of a backward somersault), and stretch your back up as fully as you can for as long as you can. It might help to do "bend forward and touch your toes and hold this position for 10 seconds each time then slowly straighten up" exercises BEFORE attempting the "facing up toward heaven" position.

In the gym/at home: hold the "facing up toward heaven" on an exercise ball or high cusion. Always have a spotter to assist you in case you're stuck in a certain position and have a hard time getting up.

IF YOU HAVE A HISTORY OF BACK PROBLEMS, CONSULT A REHAB DOCTOR/PHYSICAL THERAPIST FIRST.

guinevere

Final Flight
Hi,

I'm not a skater, but I'm a dancer, and I'm concerned that someone reading these suggestions could hurt themselves pretty severely. If you are looking for way to increase flexibility in your back, always make sure your muscles are warmed up FIRST. You can do this in a couple of ways. Some quick sugestions: get on all fours on the floor (hands/knees) and move through several arches and curves, and then trying to go in a circle in each direction a few times. Or, from standing, drop your chin into your chest, and roll your head around to the right, the back, the left, and to the front again, then repeat starting to the left. As you continue, you should let the top of your torso drop down a bit further so you're getting more of a torso stretch.

But most importantly: Even is you have a really bendy back, you need to have immense abdominal strength to maintain an arched position without causing injury to yourself. If you are under 20, you may be able to do these positions incorrectly and not feel the difference, but you will later. Trust me. Because of this, I would recommend Pilates AND yoga. Pilates will build core strength needed to support the movement, and yoga will help elongate muscles and create line.

Good luck!

learnin'

Rinkside
I agree with guinevere. You need strong core muscles to be able to have good flexibility in your back. Mine aren't very strong so i have some problems with my back, it likes to pop out. :scowl: Not good
In addition to Pilates and Yoga, I would also recommend taking ballet because you're stretching and strengthening in an upright position.

lindasaffell

Rinkside
Pilates can be awesome!

learnin' said:
I agree with guinevere. You need strong core muscles to be able to have good flexibility in your back. Mine aren't very strong so i have some problems with my back, it likes to pop out. :scowl: Not good
In addition to Pilates and Yoga, I would also recommend taking ballet because you're stretching and strengthening in an upright position.

I just started Pilates last summer. Didn't really think it could make that much difference, as I have never had any back problems. But WOW!! Now I am a fanatic. PIlates' benefit is that it is actually designed to be therapeutic, gentle strengthening. Don't get me wrong, I love yoga too, but sometimes you can overdo it doing yoga, while I think Pilates moves are very safe.

Oh, there is an older book all about stretching - I think the author's last name is Anderson? I got it when I was into weight-training and it explains a lot about stretching. So I would recommend reviewing what the book suggests, too.

I think you cannot ever stretch too often!!!:cool: