Belbin & Agosto | Golden Skate

Belbin & Agosto

flying camel

Medalist
What is going on with Belbin & Agosto? Haven't seen or heard any news about them. I know they changed coaches, but I haven't heard anything else. Has anyone seen their new programs.

rosee

On the Ice
There's a rumor that says that they will be skating to a vocal version of Tosca for the FD.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
There's a rumor that says that they will be skating to a vocal version of Tosca for the FD.

I hope that is more than a rumor. They went classical last year, but doing a operatic Tosca woud really put them out there as dramatic, european style dancers. Sure, Tosca is overdone and maybe she got the idea from watching Evan skate to it, but I think it would be a great move if they pull it off well.

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker
I am really rooting for B/A this season. What happened at the 2008 Worlds was a crime. Yes, Tanith fell in the CD but they should have moved up in both th OD and FD.

IMO, they should have at least won the bronze medal.

Let's hope they do very well under the tutelage of their new coaches :)

Here's to them to trying to become the 1st U.S. Ice Dancing team to win 6 national titles (an all-time record in U.S. Ice Dancing I believe)

Good luck to you guys :)

Last edited:

AwesomeIce

Match Penalty
I am really rooting for B/A this season. What happened at the 2008 Worlds was a crime. Yes, Tanith fell in the CD but they should have moved up in both th OD and FD.

IMO, they should have won the bronze medal.

ITA. Actually, even with the fall I think that overall they were still better than V&M (THE most overrated skaters of all time IMO). I'd love to see them take gold at Worlds this year.

Belbin, whom I think of as a good actress will either play the second Act with Scarpia or the third Act with the plot to save Caravadossi from the firing squad. She also suicides, and Puccini gets this pot boiler just right.

Opera lovers will be aghast to see it on skates. Better not tell the story,

Well good luck to them.

Mafke

Medalist
It could be worse .... they could try Der Rosenkavalier (full of anachronistic waltzes).

I read once that some American opera company did Rosenkavalier with super titles and the audience was appalled at the openly sexual content (combined with social hypocrisy) when what they wanted was a bittersweet lovestory and pretty music.

I remember Elizabeth Swarzkopf who when asked would the Americans like Der Rosenkavalier sung in English. Swazkopf's reply: I should think the Americans would learn German after hearing Der Rosenkavalier. :p

She was something else. Loved her Marschalin.

i'd like to see Kwan as the Marschalin, Weiss as Octavian and Cohen as Sophie.Can you picture the famous Trio with all doing camels spins in unison?

merrybari

Final Flight

IMO, they should have at least won the bronze medal.

Let's hope they do very well under the tutelage of their new coaches :)

Here's to them to trying to become the 1st U.S. Ice Dancing team to win 6 national titles (an all-time record in U.S. Ice Dancing I believe)

Good luck to you guys :)

ITA!!! all the way!! :agree:

Winnipeg

Final Flight
ITA. Actually, even with the fall I think that overall they were still better than V&M (THE most overrated skaters of all time IMO). I'd love to see them take gold at Worlds this year.

I totally disagree with your opinion re V and M. Why would you say that? I like B and A too but agree with their placements at last Worlds based on ow they skated at that competition.

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker
I just think that Khoklova and Novitski were I think scored to high. Yes they are great technically but they are not that great artistically like B/A, V/M and D/S.

IDK, maybe I am just jealous :laugh:

I thought Khokhlova and Novitski were a breath of fresh air last season. Not as smooth as Belbin and Agosto or Virtue and Moir, but very original and exciting.They are on their way to becoming my favorite team.

AwesomeIce

Match Penalty
I totally disagree with your opinion re V and M. Why would you say that? I like B and A too but agree with their placements at last Worlds based on ow they skated at that competition.

Why would I say it? Because V&M are boring. Dull, dull, dull. I hated their FDs the last two seasons. They are a technically good team, but not great, not as wonderful as some people would have you believe. They are very one-dimensional to me.

lmarie086

Medalist
Why would I say it? Because V&M are boring. Dull, dull, dull. I hated their FDs the last two seasons. They are a technically good team, but not great, not as wonderful as some people would have you believe. They are very one-dimensional to me.

Even though I like V/M, I can definitely see what you're saying. Their FDs these last two seasons were very similar and not all that exciting at that. Beyond that, their FD from 05-06 Juniors was just very technical.
I'm hoping this season's FD breaks away from that (in the story as well as the music) and steps out of their comfort zone that they've kind of developed. They're very talented, but I think (as I do about D/W) they're in desperate need of outside choreography.
I say all this as someone who likes them.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I love Belbin and Agosto, but I have to agree with thier placement at Worlds. They did not skate great after the CD, and the fall really disrupted what had been one of the best tangos of the night.

lcd

Match Penalty
I agree that K&N were very different, but I thought the actual performance that they gave at worlds... was not up to the standard of some performances they gave earlier in the season... and medaled on a bit of a 'benefit of the doubt' plus "unforgiving of B&A this competition" approach taken by the judges... just my opinion

Winnipeg

Final Flight

I guess that's why dance is so subjective at times. I am not an easy to please watcher of dance (not my favorite discipline in FS) but I find V and M one of the few teams that I am not finding myself distracted/bored during a routine, or worse, turned off by frenetic gestures and/or oddly garrish costumes.

In fact, I liked their skate better than the Gold winning poerformance at Worlds last March...............but the judges disagreed with me and their opinion is what counts.

all that

Final Flight
I guess that's why dance is so subjective at times. I am not an easy to please watcher of dance (not my favorite discipline in FS) but I find V and M one of the few teams that I am not finding myself distracted/bored during a routine, or worse, turned off by frenetic gestures and/or oddly garrish costumes.

In fact, I liked their skate better than the Gold winning poerformance at Worlds last March...............but the judges disagreed with me and their opinion is what counts.

Well, the judges agreed with you when it came to the FD, but overall, D/S won.

mycelticblessing

Final Flight
I hope they have a stronger OD this season though. Last season's OD seem really unfocussed and misdirecte. It was kind of different everytime they skated it and that I think, prevented them from moving up into a medal position after the OD in Worlds.

lmarie086

Medalist
I hope they have a stronger OD this season though. Last season's OD seem really unfocussed and misdirecte. It was kind of different everytime they skated it and that I think, prevented them from moving up into a medal position after the OD in Worlds.

I agree with this. Usually the OD has been a strength for B/A in the past, but last season it just came came together quite right for them. I personally loved the original version at SA; I wish the judges had "got it" right then and there.