Figure skating blade advice needed for a high beginner skater | Golden Skate

Figure skating blade advice needed for a high beginner skater

loveragdollcats

Spectator
I am 14 years old and have been skating for a little more than 1.5 years. I am working on preliminary moves, single jumps up to loop, one foot spins, forward and backward scratch spins, and sometimes sit spins. I started in Jackson Mystique skates that come with Mark II blades and those are the only skates I have skated in. I have not had any problems with them, but I am looking to get skates and blades that are a little more advanced. I think I want to get the boot and blade separately, and that is what my coach originally recommended I do. My coach said the blades I have now are beginner blades. I have done some research and found that blades that are more beginner are more flat. My blades have a straight cut toe pick and I'm pretty sure my blades have a 8' rocker. I'm thinking of getting more advanced blades such as the coronation ace, but I am worried about the transition, because the coronation ace has a cross cut toe pick and a 7' rocker. Another option I am considering is to get another type of Jackson blade that are less advanced such as the mirage or aspire xp, which would be more similar to my current blade because it has a 8' rocker, but some people online say the blade is too flat and it is hard to spin. My coach said I could get more advanced blades now, or get a less advanced blade if that would feel more comfortable for me, but I would eventually have to get more advanced blades in the future. I also am pretty sensitive with my blades, one time they were sharpened too deep and it took me a while to regain my confidence on the ice.

What should I do? Should I get more advanced blades, such as the coronation ace or mk pro, that might benefit my skating more but are very different from the blades I currently have, or get blades that are less advanced and more flat, like the mirage or aspire xp, but are more similar to the blades that I have now? I have an appointment with my skate tech in a few weeks and I will definitely ask her for advice, but I would like to make up my mind more before the appointment.

P.S. for my boots I am considering Jackson entre, freestyle, or elle, but I am open to trying other boot brands. Would those be good boots for me as well?

Last edited:

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Bootwise, I wouldn't go any lower than Freestyle, but Debut would be a better bet and that's provided Jackson are best suited to your feet. But there's so much complexity to boot fitting, that you really need to be fitted by a reputable fitter of figure skates. They will also be able to advise you on the best blades for you but I would recommend Coronation Ace or possibly MK Professional. In my book, Coronation Ace is pretty much always the right answer. I went from my first basic set of boot and blade to boots that are no longer available and Coronation Aces. The Aces were initially a shock (more toe pick than my previous blades which were much more like figure blades than those aimed at freestyle) but I adjusted to then very quickly and loved them. Don't give too much worry time to the 7' v 8' rocker as you'll get used to anything; what you really want now is a tried and tested intermediate blade with a decent spin rocker. Aces and MK Pros are both 7' rockers and either should suit you well, but if pressed I'd recommend the Aces. Traditional, not Revolution or Lites.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Also, to make give you better based ideas of what boot blade we need some info: Height/weight, foot style.

I also, agree with WM that JW Coro Ace or MK Pro are your best bets for blade.

loveragdollcats

Spectator
Also, to make give you better based ideas of what boot blade we need some info: Height/weight, foot style.

I also, agree with WM that JW Coro Ace or MK Pro are your best bets for blade.
I'm 5 feet tall, I don't know my exact weight but I think it is somewhere in between 95-100 pounds. my foot is not very wide but not very narrow, somewhere in between.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
With the stats you gave us you could fit an Edea, Risport or Riedell as well.
Edea: Motivo or Overture
Risport: Electra

But please see a professional fitter who will trace and measure your foot.

loveragdollcats

Spectator
Boot and blade update- last week I purchased my new skates! I got the Jackson Entre boot and the Coronation Ace blade. I have only skated in them 2 times but I am LOVING them so far. The boots have more support so my ankles don't hurt every time I skate, but they don't feel too stiff and I can get a good knee bend. The blades are amazing. I was kind of nervous about the transition, but it wasn't bad at all. I think I'm actually 2/3 of the way through the adjustment process.

The first day I wore them, I was coaching, so I only did the really basic stuff, like forwards and backwards: stroking, swizzles, pumps, slaloms, one foot glides, crossovers, and edges. I also did two foot turns on both sides and a forward inside mohawk on my good side, and a pivot to get a feel for the toe pick. Everything felt good. When I first stepped on the ice, the blades felt a little bit different and I could feel the different rocker, but it didn't affect my skating and after a few minutes everything felt pretty normal.

Yesterday was my second time skating in the new boots and blades. I had a private lesson and I worked on more advanced stuff. I did three turns, mohawks, spins, and jumps. 3 turns and mohawks felt the same as they did on my old blades. My spins haven't noticeably improved and I think I still need to find my sweet spot, but I can tell by spinning on them that it is easier to gain more speed in spins on these blades. I also did a few backspins, but backspins are still very hard for me, I can only do one revolution. I was kind of nervous to jump on my new blades, because I heard that the more curved rocker would make jump landings less stable, but jumping felt amazing on the new blades. I only did waltz jumps, but jump landings feel more smooth. In my lesson, my coach said to me that I was adjusting to the new blades faster than she expected me to.

Overall, I've noticed that the glide on the Coronation aces is MUCH smoother than my old blades, and when I hold edges, I can hold them a little longer and they feel smoother too. The toe pick feels like it has more grip and stability than the toe pick on my old blades. Jump landings also feel more smooth on the coronation aces and I feel like I am landing on the correct spot.
If you have beginner blades and are thinking of switching to coronation aces, definitely do it, you won't regret it.