Blur spin technique | Golden Skate

Blur spin technique

ellenvel

Rinkside
Hello,

does anyone know the exact technique for a blur spin? I cannot find anything about this topic. Do I need to wait long long open or semi-open before pulling in, the longer the better, or? What about arms and legs? Gradually pulling in and then fast in the end, or gradually the whole time is better without any sudden moments? I would be very glad for a complete precise instruction for a blur spin. How to become a complete blur in a spin? And one more question: is there a technique beakdown somewhere to be found? Thank you so so much for your answers :)

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hello,

does anyone know the exact technique for a blur spin? I cannot find anything about this topic. Do I need to wait long long open or semi-open before pulling in, the longer the better, or? What about arms and legs? Gradually pulling in and then fast in the end, or gradually the whole time is better without any sudden moments? I would be very glad for a complete precise instruction for a blur spin. How to become a complete blur in a spin? And one more question: is there a technique beakdown somewhere to be found? Thank you so so much for your answers :)
Do you have a coach? Ask them. Don't try to learn online. Also, it has alot to do with speed, sweet spot on your blade and many more things, again once you are a certain level, coach should teach you how to accomplish that.

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Yes, I do. But she just tells me to want to go fast and then it just comes itself with a lot of practice :)
I had a coach like that. Recently dumped her because I was sick of being told what to do instead of how to do it.

Get yourself a coach who explains how to do things instead of what to do. You'll improve so much faster without wasting your time on trial and error. When a coach says "it comes itself with a lot of practice" they mean, it comes once you've done so much trial and error so that I don't have to do my job of telling you what works best.

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
I had a coach like that. Recently dumped her because I was sick of being told what to do instead of how to do it.

Get yourself a coach who explains how to do things instead of what to do. You'll improve so much faster without wasting your time on trial and error. When a coach says "it comes itself with a lot of practice" they mean, it comes once you've done so much trial and error so that I don't have to do my job of telling you what works best.
Something similar happened to me. I had a former coach who would just make me do stuff without explaining properly. I felt pressured during lessons to attempt things without understanding how to do them and ended up with a bad ankle sprain.

My current coaches are much more detailed. They'll still say that something 'comes with practice', especially things like edgework, but will give me specific directions (e.g. body position, timing) so I know how to practice. Some of my younger friends find them long-winded, but they're perfect for my learning style.

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Something similar happened to me. I had a former coach who would just make me do stuff without explaining properly. I felt pressured during lessons to attempt things without understanding how to do them and ended up with a bad ankle sprain.

My current coaches are much more detailed. They'll still say that something 'comes with practice', especially things like edgework, but will give me specific directions (e.g. body position, timing) so I know how to practice. Some of my younger friends find them long-winded, but they're perfect for my learning style.
I kid you not, when learning the axel, my old coach said "just jump off your right leg and rotate one and a half times." Sometimes she'd say something about my arm being in the wrong place but it just always felt very, very wrong. My new coach gives me ways to do things that you oftentimes can't mess up because they feel so intuitive (such as his way of teaching timing on the axel) and I've improved so much. I didn't land any doubles consistently until I started being coached by him.

I was always told "check your turn by stopping the rotation" instead of "check your turn by putting xx arm in xx position which will stop the rotation." I obviously figured it out later (I passed my all my moves tests in the span of 5 years with that coach) because I was just really good at figuring that stuff out, but the same can't be said about jumps or spins that often aren't obvious to the body.

Last edited:

Sunshine247

On the Ice
Wow. Yeah. I watch my kiddos on the ice and see so much discussion and working through every little movement even I get bored! Luckily they don’t and almost always after the demonstration and fixing of arms etc, they go out and nail what their coach was working on with them. So yes. Try another coach.

TQB

Rinkside
I had a former coach who would just make me do stuff without explaining properly. I felt pressured during lessons to attempt things without understanding how to do them and ended up with a bad ankle sprain.
THis is the biggest difference returning to training as an adult. Even for moves I've been doing for 30 years I am just now learning why/how. I keep telling my coach it's good for my aging brain cells to have to think so much!

Spinfox

Spectator
Hello,

Hello, few years there was a page that explain how to do it, saddly its no longer avaliable, but I remember it say, from a guy that can do it, have a ballet backround, have a already good pivot spinning, so this is a good way to start, So he did it, a conventional scratch spin, but... you must extend perpendicular the free leg, and both arms full extended.
2.- then you must balance in a slow spin may be 3 or 4 spins before start
3.- then you must bring free leg to body, try to ankle almost in level with skating knee, at the same time bringarms like you are huging a big beach ball
4.- then bend a little the skating knee, then pull at the same time free leg as mush as you can bring both knees at same level, the arms close to chest tightly
5.- the rush arms over head or down thitgly and stop bending the skater knee, and there is when la Blur occurs.

tip: you must center your spin just before the toepicks, because toepicks ruins the blur effect.

I made a research over internet about blurspins but sadly no body doit now, for a blur spin must be over 360 rpm for a good blur effect, but the fastest spin on ice is 300 or 342 rpm, but this ballet guy can almost do it at 420 rpm, so he blurs like a top, they said, Im really fascinated with this kind of spin, I planning to make a blur spin at 420 rpm to bring back the blurspin

ellenvel

Rinkside
Hello, few years there was a page that explain how to do it, saddly its no longer avaliable, but I remember it say, from a guy that can do it, have a ballet backround, have a already good pivot spinning, so this is a good way to start, So he did it, a conventional scratch spin, but... you must extend perpendicular the free leg, and both arms full extended.
2.- then you must balance in a slow spin may be 3 or 4 spins before start
3.- then you must bring free leg to body, try to ankle almost in level with skating knee, at the same time bringarms like you are huging a big beach ball
4.- then bend a little the skating knee, then pull at the same time free leg as mush as you can bring both knees at same level, the arms close to chest tightly
5.- the rush arms over head or down thitgly and stop bending the skater knee, and there is when la Blur occurs.

tip: you must center your spin just before the toepicks, because toepicks ruins the blur effect.

I made a research over internet about blurspins but sadly no body doit now, for a blur spin must be over 360 rpm for a good blur effect, but the fastest spin on ice is 300 or 342 rpm, but this ballet guy can almost do it at 420 rpm, so he blurs like a top, they said, Im really fascinated with this kind of spin, I planning to make a blur spin at 420 rpm to bring back the blurspin
Thank you very much! 🙂🙂 This is really helpful. I will definitely try it.

Spinfox

Spectator
soon i will be doing a blurspin, its an off ice spin trainer, but i can cheatit to do blurspins