Boot and blade choice | Golden Skate

Boot and blade choice

Girlbird

On the Ice
Hi guys! I’m a few months and $$$ away from getting new skates but I wanted some input. I’m 26 and returned to the ice earlier this year after 13 years away. When I quit I was starting my doubles. I am currently skating in the skates that I had just gotten a few months before quitting. They are some type of Jackson but I am not sure of the model - just that they were recommended by my coach and the fitter when I was starting my axel. My parents don’t remember either. It probably isn’t made anymore. I was probably around 115 lbs when I skated back then. They are a bit too small I believe since my feet keep going numb despite lacing more loosely. I have poor circulation.

I am now about 135 lbs and have all my single jumps back except for the lutz and axel. I am skating recreationally at the moment about 2-4 hours a week and taking a lesson once a week (yay!). I can’t find more time to train due to demanding work and rehearsal schedules and this is just a hobby to make me happy.. But my goal is to test and compete in the future because I love to perform and choreograph.

I’ve been a dancer my whole life and continued to train in dance after quitting skating until I graduated from college. Now I mostly dance in musical theater from time to time. I’m not so active/fit/flexible as i used to be but I do have pretty strong ankles and feel like I have decent edge control. In a way I feel like I understand skating more than I did as a preteen. I definitely know my body more.

I feel like my boots would technically hold me for a little longer and the blade still had some wear in them, but I’m afraid that because I’m heavier than i was then and my feet have changed shape that they aren’t the right boot. They are somewhat supportive but I don’t know if they are supportive enough for much more than what I’m doing. And since they may be too tight in some areas it doesn’t make sense to suffer. So...

I’m dreaming of Edeas. I see a lot of adult skaters at my level wearing Ice Flys. It may be unnecessary to get a boot rated for triples when you are doing singles but nevertheless I see the appeal and it also makes sense to boot higher as an adult because we weigh more than tiny skaters and also our feet don’t grow so we may be skating in a boot longer than a kid, depending on training time and skill level. I have considered the Chorus as well. People seem to recommend the coronation ace as a blade choice.

But i don’t even know if Edeas would work for my feet and they are quite expensive so I’m curious as to what other manufacturers offer that would suit a skater of my weight and level, as well as blade options. anticipate progressing pretty rapidly to a point and then plateauing. But I hope to get my axel and then train for doubles and of course I’m also way more interested in spinning and doing beautiful footwork.

Thoughts of boots and blades to consider? I know, yet another post about what skate should I get...

jf12

Final Flight
Ice fly or chorus would work, and Coronation Ace or higher as well. You could try Jackson elites as well - any boot rates for at least doubles. Since you don’t plan to skate very much and will probably get back to your old level pretty quick, if you pick a good boot and blade they will last you a while. You sound like you’re on the right track, and welcome back to skating!

Girlbird

On the Ice
Ice fly or chorus would work, and Coronation Ace or higher as well. You could try Jackson elites as well - any boot rates for at least doubles. Since you don’t plan to skate very much and will probably get back to your old level pretty quick, if you pick a good boot and blade they will last you a while. You sound like you’re on the right track, and welcome back to skating!

Thank you! I'm glad to get some affirmation that I'm on the right track. I hope I can skate more often in the future, my current work/life situation is just getting in the way. *sigh* Adulthood.

JSM

On the Ice
When the time comes, if possible, try to find a reputable shop and try on as many brands as you can. I know adults who love their Edeas, and some who think they were a waste of $800! Same with nearly every other brand of boot. I know happy adults in Risports, Jacksons, Riedells, Sp-Teris, Harlicks, Edeas... Your foot has probably changed since childhood and it won't hurt to figure out your new boot preferences!

I agree with getting something rated for at least doubles!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
If your foot actually works with an Edea, then a chorus is all you would need , having an ice fly is incredibly unnecessary for you.

Make sure to look into Jackson and Risport and Harlick too.

Good luck!

likevelvet

#Bless this mess
On the Ice
Country
United-States
I was in Jacksons from the time I started at 6 and was a loyalist until last year, when I switched to Edea at 26. I have exceedingly textbook feet besides how high my arches are and have heard that Edea tends to work well for that kind of foot, but many, many adult skaters I know are in Ice Flies. I wear a Piano and I love them, but the switch from Jackson to them was jarring because of how lightweight they are.

Anyway, my experience with them comes down to really subtle technicalities, but I loved my Jacksons and had no problems with them - I just wanted to try something new when it came time for new boots, and my fitter and I agreed they happened to work for my feet, though I do still use a custom footbed. I’ve noticed a lot less foot fatigue because of the lack of weight but it took some getting used to to get a certain level of control and really get down into the ice, especially because I use lightweight blades as well. It’ll all depend on what works for your feet, please do get fitted. It’d be terrible to shell out money without knowing if they’ll work. I think for you any new pair of boots that actually fit you right is going to make a world of difference given you said that you’ve managed to develop on something that’s too small.

The Coronation Ace is a wonderful all-around freestyle blade and I don’t really think you can go wrong with it.

Girlbird

On the Ice
When the time comes, if possible, try to find a reputable shop and try on as many brands as you can. I know adults who love their Edeas, and some who think they were a waste of $800! Same with nearly every other brand of boot. I know happy adults in Risports, Jacksons, Riedells, Sp-Teris, Harlicks, Edeas... Your foot has probably changed since childhood and it won't hurt to figure out your new boot preferences!

I agree with getting something rated for at least doubles!

I live in a big metro area with lots of rinks and a couple good pro shops so I'm sure I'll find a good fitter! It will definitely depend on what works with my feet! I'm not set on any one boot or brand, but I would like to be more comfortable! =)

Girlbird

On the Ice
I was in Jacksons from the time I started at 6 and was a loyalist until last year, when I switched to Edea at 26. I have exceedingly textbook feet besides how high my arches are and have heard that Edea tends to work well for that kind of foot, but many, many adult skaters I know are in Ice Flies. I wear a Piano and I love them, but the switch from Jackson to them was jarring because of how lightweight they are.

Anyway, my experience with them comes down to really subtle technicalities, but I loved my Jacksons and had no problems with them - I just wanted to try something new when it came time for new boots, and my fitter and I agreed they happened to work for my feet, though I do still use a custom footbed. I’ve noticed a lot less foot fatigue because of the lack of weight but it took some getting used to to get a certain level of control and really get down into the ice, especially because I use lightweight blades as well. It’ll all depend on what works for your feet, please do get fitted. It’d be terrible to shell out money without knowing if they’ll work. I think for you any new pair of boots that actually fit you right is going to make a world of difference given you said that you’ve managed to develop on something that’s too small.

The Coronation Ace is a wonderful all-around freestyle blade and I don’t really think you can go wrong with it.

I do have pretty high arches - dancers feet. I would like to try something lighter too. But we will see what happens as I'm open to anything that feels good and works well. I'll definitely be going to a fitter, I'm in an area with a lot of figure skating going on so I'm lucky in that respect.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I do have pretty high arches - dancers feet. I would like to try something lighter too. But we will see what happens as I'm open to anything that feels good and works well. I'll definitely be going to a fitter, I'm in an area with a lot of figure skating going on so I'm lucky in that respect.

Make sure it is a good figure skating fitter pro, and not just someone in a pro shop that says they are.

I have super high arches too and Jackson and Risport have worked for me. Just something to think about. :)

Girlbird

On the Ice
Make sure it is a good figure skating fitter pro, and not just someone in a pro shop that says they are.

I have super high arches too and Jackson and Risport have worked for me. Just something to think about. :)

I definitely will go to one of the places recommended by the figure skating clubs around here and get an appointment with one of the top fitters!