Cain-Gribble and LeDuc Added to US World Team | Golden Skate

Cain-Gribble and LeDuc Added to US World Team

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ashley Cain-Gribble and Timothy LeDuc Added to World Team
The duo will be making their second career World Championships appearance.

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colorado (March 1, 2021) - Ashley Cain-Gribble and Timothy LeDuc will represent Team USA at the ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2021 later this month, U.S. Figure Skating announced Monday. The Dallas-based duo will replace Jessica Calalang and Brian Johnson, who have withdrawn from the competition for personal reasons unrelated to COVID-19.

Most recently, Cain-Gribble and LeDuc earned the bronze medal at the 2021 Toyota U.S. Figure Skating Championships. After winning the U.S. pairs title in 2019, they finished ninth at the World Championships, earning the United States two pairs entries at the next World Championships.

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
How very odd that it’s due to “personal reasons” and not illness/injury.
Could one of them be teaming up with someone else, and not wanting to compete internationally this month so as to maintain 2022 eligibility?

Last edited:

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Could one of them be teaming up with soneone else, and not wanting to compete internationally this month so as to maintain 2022 eligibility?
That was my thought as well. Hearing the US pairs say they want what is best for the team is also curious. It may also just be whichever team is skating better right now in order to get 3 spots.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Could one of them be teaming up with soneone else, and not wanting to compete internationally this month so as to maintain 2022 eligibility?
I think they might be breaking up. If there are spots on the line, you'd think they'd want to control their own destiny.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What a surprising development. So sad for Jessica and Brian but happy for Ashley and Tim. I hope and trust whatever challenges C/J are working through, they'll come out stronger and better.

I was just thinking about Ashley and Tim today, how hard it must be for them and all the alternates to keep training seriously for a possible.

Really weird. Wonder if my favorite two gossips at TSL have the tea on this.
I dearly hope so! And curiosity is a weird/wonderful thing, I hope we know the "why" sometime.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That was my thought as well. Hearing the US pairs say they want what is best for the team is also curious. It may also just be whichever team is skating better right now in order to get 3 spots.
Where did you hear this, please?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Really weird. Wonder if my favorite two gossips at TSL have the tea on this.
It's probably wrong anyway. Like that time they reported a skater having a broken leg only for the skater to show up to a comp a week later skating well and perfectly fine.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It was in the US pairs thread
Probably I said it. I should clarify. When asked about their goals in an interview 5 or 6 months ago, Ashley and Tim listed them. Most were personal goals for their team, but they also mentioned a group goal, helping, if they had the opportunity, to keep 2 World/Olympic spots for the US. As far as I've heard or read, no other pairs have said that specifically. But my impression from other remarks is that among the teams, many are very good friends and there's a fellow feeling that they hope to raise the level of US pairs. It doesn't supercede personal goals. Just the idea that the teams are pushing each other to want to do more, in a good way.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I hope Jessica and Brian don't break up. Unless they fight constantly or something like that, making the Worlds twice (even though they didn't/won't go) isn't something to quickly throw away.

From every indication I've seen and read, Jessica and Brian are good friends who get along very well. Their partnership they have both described as professional, respectful and mutually supportive. They said that they go their separate ways off-the-ice, but have good communication during training at the rink and in competition.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Wonderfu opportunity but it seems odd two years in a row dramtic withdrawls not based on injury Last year Knerims. i guess the US has to try to keep up with the Russian Drama "As the BladesTurn" or Eteri's version of All My Children.

LOL, U.S. Pairs are interesting, entertaining and dramatic, but surely not at the level of soap opera we are seeing unfold in Russian figure skating these days. ;)

Not sure what you mean by two years in a row 'dramatic withdrawals.' One situation has nothing to do with the other. It was just a coincidence that Chris Knierim decided he'd had enough during the middle of his 2020 4CCs performance. With his state of mind, as he later explained, it was the necessary outcome. He's much happier coaching and supporting his wife and her new on-ice partner.

Whatever is going on with Jessica/Brian, at least there will be strong back up with Ash/ Timothy going to Worlds in their stead. I'm sad for Jessica/Brian that the chance to go to Worlds last season was snatched from them so abruptly when they had some very good momentum under their belts competitively. But the events of the last year have affected every athlete, and frankly everyone in the world. It's about adapting, adjusting and moving forward. A lot of recent retirements and splits are partly related to what's happened with the pandemic.

Whatever is going on with Jessica/Brian, it could be physical issues surrounding training or something personal, or whatever. We don't know. I support them and I wish them luck. They are a wonderful team to watch. I hope they come back strong next season.