K. Chen and B. Tennell selected for Worlds | Page 4 | Golden Skate

K. Chen and B. Tennell selected for Worlds

NAOTMAA

Medalist
Amber’s greatest issue is when things go wrong they really go wrong and it’s often. Once she makes a mistake or two, no matter how minor, she starts imploding in the jumps and stops performing. Everything just collapses. She doesn’t know how to save a program and salvage it.

If she knew who to “save a program” I’d say take the chance but she doesn’t

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
True Karen has a UR problem... but she doesn't typically have meltdowns.
I don't know what you mean by 'typically,' in regard to Karen not having 'meltdowns.' Karen has had some notable meltdowns and competition hiccoughs, most famously at the Olympics and at 4CCs, the year she got her head together before Worlds and ended up placing 4th at Worlds as U.S. National champion. Karen had a gorgeous sp that she helped choreograph and it's memorable to this day, On Golden Pond. So quite clearly, U.S. fed wants to support Karen in her comeback, because she is looking stronger and more self-contained. She has a very pretty fp which obviously was selected and choreographed with Beijing in mind. ;)

As I said earlier, I believe both Karen and Amber have grown and have learned things about themselves, which makes a difference for both of them competitively. Truthfully, it boils down to developing maturity, self-knowledge, toughness, self-belief and self-confidence. It's also crucial to learn how to filter out all the outside noise and not allow that stuff to distract you from your focus.

Amber IMO has more solid jumps when she delivers. Amber adding the 3-axel to her arsenal has been critical to her building this breakthrough. I hope Amber keeps it together mentally and doesn't allow the fed's decision to deter her from reaching her goals.

Look, I'm happy for Karen's comeback. She's a lovely, brilliant, creative skater. But I'm not sure how she will compete and where she would be slotted, particularly if she runs into trouble with URs, which the judges love to call on both Karen and Bradie. OTOH, if Amber was solidly prepared and settled in her confidence and landed that triple-axel at Worlds, with clean programs -- that would be something to reckon with when combined with Bradie's renewed strength and singular focus. Plus Bradie has some absolutely wonderful programs, which she loves, and it shows.

Last edited:

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Amber’s greatest issue is when things go wrong they really go wrong and it’s often. Once she makes a mistake or two, no matter how minor, she starts imploding in the jumps and stops performing. Everything just collapses. She doesn’t know how to save a program and salvage it.

If she knew who to “save a program” I’d say take the chance but she doesn’t
In the past (stress on 'past'), if either Amber or Karen ran into problems (hint hint: boot issues ;) ) there were meltdowns. If it sticks in your head that Amber is more prone to losing confidence and having meltdowns, then so be it. Both ladies have had notable problems. And both ladies have appeared to steadily work through those problems and have come out on the other side in commendable fashion. Therefore, to me it's a toss-up and a crapshoot either way. The difference is apparently the BOW, and the fact of how well-liked Karen is, which is fine and understandable. She's certainly worthy, but it's a bit of politics at work too 'cause that's the way this sport rolls.

Sure, maybe they want Amber to prove herself more prior to being rewarded with a Worlds assignment. The problem is that there really aren't too many opportunities due to the sport's crazy, inadequate and limiting competitive structure. The window of opportunity is so small. It takes an awful lot to reach the Nationals podium, so to not be rewarded (in this instance not even with the secondary 4CCs chance) that just simply sucks.

This overemphasis on Amber having problems exclusively should cease. When I bring up that they've both had problems, that's because it's true, but also there's no need to dwell ad nauseam upon the issues they've both experienced. We should be stressing their considerable attributes and believing in both of them more. Because e.g., I totally could identify with Mariah and I felt for her, and that's why I was upset at Skate America for what U.S. fed was doing with the overhyping and over-favoriting. They appeared to be wanting to make up for not rewarding Mariah when they should have rewarded her over an unproven 'so-called' jumping phenom who had time to wait and further develop (someone who has now lost their jump weapons and has to revamp everything as she adjusts to her growth spurt).

BTW, I'm not looking down on Alysa either. I'm simply being honest. Alysa is a strong competitor and she's very young, so with determination, she can still achieve a measure of success, but there's no guarantee she will get those huge jumps back. That's why it was nice to see her overcome the overhyping and desperate building up that U.S. fed did with her because they saw her as a possible asset against the Russian teenybopper quadsters.

Now, U.S. fed probably see Alysa as someone on the backburner to promote if they can get something out of her eventually, in view of the considerable investment they put into her. They would like to be able to justify their investment, but Alysa simply being a strong competitor without the jump weapons isn't enough at this stage. If Alysa continues to grow aesthetically, that will be nice to witness. If she gets the jumps back, that will be a bonus, but the jumps need to be backed up with other substantial skills.

Last edited:

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Artisty ? Where ? Amber has strong jumps but she isn’t artistry .
I think he shouldn't have received 72PCS in US nationals and the international jury agrees with me.
Oh now, this is in the eye of the beholder. Amber feels her music just as much as Karen does, but they have different personalities and different ways of expressing themselves. Amber is no slouch in terms of musicality and lovely presentation skills. Amber has a different, more muscular athletic build, which does not mean she isn't expressive in the 'artistic' sense.

Karen has a slighter build and she's more lyrical, which some fans and judges apparently think is the only quality synonymous with being 'artistic.'

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Oh now, this is in the eye of the beholder. Amber feels her music just as much as Karen does, but they have different personalities and different ways of expressing themselves. Amber is no slouch in terms of musicality and lovely presentation skills. Amber has a different, more muscular athletic build, which does not mean she isn't expressive in the 'artistic' sense.

Karen has a slighter build and she's more lyrical, which some fans and judges apparently think is the only quality synonymous with being 'artistic.'
Well said. I like them both but in different ways....apples and oranges....but very nice apples and oranges....

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I agree Amber has the potential to do really well but i guess her inconsistency and lack of international recognition was a factor. I appreciate well you don't get international experience or exposure without getting theopportunity. It is a tough call. But it has beendone now we wait will worlds go on and will the US get three spots.