Can anyone beat a clean Medvedeva? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Can anyone beat a clean Medvedeva?

mrrice

Record Breaker
My first guess at who could beat a Clean Medvedeva would be Mao. A squeaky clean Mao. After that, Maybe a perfect Rod, or a perfect Gracie and that's it. I love so many skaters but there are very few who can jump well and perform well. I still see these Ladies as the top 4 in the World.

Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Last edited:

Ophelia

Record Breaker
Everyone talks about how slow Polina is.....well, what about Evgenia, she's not fast on the ice either, but what she does have are intricate steps in between jumps....and I think she wins because of this and like everyone said backloading her jumps....but in my opinion, her choreograpy is very lacking . She moves beautifully across the ice, her face is expressive, but I feel she has yet to wow me with a program yet. But judges seem to like her very much, so no, if she's clean, don't think anyone will beat her.

I love Evegnia's LP. The music selection, cuts, and choreography are fantastic.

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
Everyone talks about how slow Polina is.....well, what about Evgenia, she's not fast on the ice either, but what she does have are intricate steps in between jumps....and I think she wins because of this and like everyone said backloading her jumps....but in my opinion, her choreograpy is very lacking . She moves beautifully across the ice, her face is expressive, but I feel she has yet to wow me with a program yet.

Is Zhenya really not fast? She looks quite fast to me. And it seemed to me that her speed even improved as the season progressed and she was skating faster than ever in recent outings... is my impression accurate?

I really don't care for her jumps or choreography, but yes I do like the way she moves across the ice.

aa456

On the Ice
depends on the technical panel. i bet edge calls and under-rotations will start disappearing for select favorites. I do see Evgenia winning it though. She seems to be able to handle the pressure.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
The judges seem to be willing to give a clean Mao, Gracie and Ashley the pcs that should catapult them past Med. However, the odds of Ashley skating clean are the odds of Johnny Weir not wearing another piece of fur, feather or buy another bag. I just sense that one of the American ladies including Polina will podium as it is in the US (world's). Though a sweep is highly unlikely as a Japanese or Russian would most likely break up the American party.

topaz emerald

Match Penalty
What do you guys mean by clean Mao Asada?

Do you mean completely clean? As in no UR or edge calls? If so, that has never happened for Mao Asada, and although not impossible, it seems very, very unrealistic.

I love Mao, her lp this year to madame butterfly was geniusly choreographed and almost left me with a teardrop..... but I don't think she will make the podium. I don't really understand why she came back. If it's to chase another Olympic Gold medal, that is probably very unlikely, I'm afraid.

Dots

Final Flight
Unlike Hanyu where he has pretty much established a legacy of his own, Medvedeva is still fresh out of juniors. She also has a few skaters that are her equal, even in her own country. She is also going to her first world championships against American girls that are expected to medal or even win themselves. The women's field is definitely more crowded at the top than the men.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Only clean Asada with 3A.

As much as I can't wait to see Mao again I cannot see her skating clean at worlds. She's not had the international experience this year and was never exactly a 100% clean skater anyway. I think it will be a treat if she medals honestly. I have a small hope that Gracie could win if she's 100% clean and sells everything out of those programs as she did at Nationals but worried the nerves will get to her.

thegreendestiny

On the Ice
A clean Evgenia is light as a feather, smooth as silk.

A clean Gracie is like cotton, while pleasing, it's still not silk. :)

winky97

Medalist
A clean Evgenia is light as a feather, smooth as silk.

A clean Gracie is like cotton, while pleasing, it's still not silk. :)

I must prefer cotton over silk than because it they are both clean my preference would be Gracie and I am not really a fan of her's. Evgenia loses me with too much back loading and way too many tanos.

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
LOL
Yuna can

:laugh2:

Anyway, I'm leaning more towards to a clean Gracie. Hypothetically of course, but with Worlds being in the US and her constantly getting high scores despite of mistakes... I can see her being Zhenia's main competitor.

Oops can't forget about Lena. But she seems less stable this year. I mean, muscling out triples is admirable especially at a time of puberty but I find myself feeling more nervous due to how much she has to do in order to make those jumps work.

As much as I want to say Mao can beat Zhenia, it's not gonna happen sadly. She's almost like Ashley. She needs to be an underdog and have no pressure on her to rise up....which she has a lot on her shoulders. #keepingitreal

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Only Mao Asada, but only in theory, not in practice. Mao also gets much lower PCS so it probably still wouldn't be enough.

Love that person linking Skate America skate where Medvedeva fell(so not clean) and Gold still only won by so little that Medvedeva would have beat her if she hadn't fallen. How convincing.

Procrastinator

On the Ice
I disagree that judges will throw 75+ PCS to Medvedeva. GPF may have been outlier in terms of scoring and also the judges won't be blown away seeing that W/E routine performed cleanly for the 17th straight time, whereas Gracie going clean for once internationally would have a "wow" factor about it. I think Evgenia is capped at 72 PCS

I don't particularly think Gracie was overscored at nationals. Her PCS were noticeably fair (~70-71); I expected that performance to yield ~74 PCS easy at nationals. Most of the elements were also +2 GOE, no questions asked.

Either way, I really am loathing worlds because you all will just cry wolf no matter who wins. If Gracie wins it's because the judges were biased by the event being in the US; if it's Med., everyone will just claim she was overscored, etc. Even if Mao wins, someone will complain about madame butterfly not being one of her better programs. There's no way to escape the madness! Besides logging off of course ;)

whatif

Medalist
Clean Mao beats everyone.
Clean Gracie will blow clean Medvedeva out of the water as well.
6 clean triples vs. 7 clean triples.
http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1516/gpusa2015/gpusa2015_Ladies_FS_Scores.pdf

What does this post even mean??? This makes no sense.
1. Medvedeva is the one with 7 3s not Gold. That already put her at advantage.
2. Even with an uncharacteristic fall by Medved, the GOE difference was still just 2 points. So there is not much of GOE advantage by Gold as some may claim.
3. So far, Evgenia showed more consistency out of all skaters not named Miyahara.
4 And finally, as others already mentioned it seems like since SA, 5 years passed, that's how much international judges grew their marks for Evgenia. She is basically, Yuna/Mao level in PCS.

So, Gold will have to blow very hard to even cause a commotion.

stryke

On the Ice
Here is how I envision Worlds playing out:

Gracie - triple double, invalid single jump, 2A = 75.8 points
Evgenia - Clean with backloaded jumps and tanos = 76 points

hashtag graciegold hashtag worldsisinamerica

In reality Gracie is 0/2 against Evgenia. Both events started out with Gold skating after Evgenia. Evgenia straight up struck fear into Gold. Phased her completely.

thegreendestiny

On the Ice
I find it ridiculous however that Gold is considered the main competitor of Evgenia. Seriously?

Are we forgetting that regardless of the quality, there is always an Elena in the podium. She is the only one who has the mentality to beat Medvedeva. She is the only one who has beaten a junior and senior Medvedeva. If her legs get stable, she has the biggest chance. She just needs to channel that inner confidence she has like in Moscow.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Here is how I envision Worlds playing out:

Gracie - triple double, invalid single jump, 2A = 75.8 points
Evgenia - Clean with backloaded jumps and tanos = 76 points

hashtag graciegold hashtag worldsisinamerica

In reality Gracie is 0/2 against Evgenia. Both events started out with Gold skating after Evgenia. Evgenia straight up struck fear into Gold. Phased her completely.

Things will be very different when Worlds comes around. Trust me when I say that the Ovation Gracie will receive as the US Champion in Boston will be HUGE!! Fortunately for Evgenia, She is a very beautiful skater who most US Fans know after her win at Skate America. Maybe it's the commentators who make it seem like American audiences don't like Russian skaters but, I can tell you from first hand experience that Sotinkova was very popular even before she won in Sochi. I think after her win at Skate America the US Fans will really give Evgenia a big Ovation. Especially if she comes in as the European Champion.

Last edited: