Caroline Zhang & Grant Hochstein Engaged | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Caroline Zhang & Grant Hochstein Engaged

NAOTMAA

Medalist
Congratulations! :)

I remember the year Caroline made her senior debut, she was a tiny little thing, and now she's engaged to be married. Time really does fly :laugh:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
She probably told him, "I can only marry a man who is top ten in the world." It gave him the inspiration to land that quad. :)

Hahaha, Lord of the Rings style:

"My daughter shall wed no man less than a National pewter medallist and top ten in the world." Nailed it, Grant! ;)

Weathergal

Medalist
So happy to read such awesome news!

I had been wondering how she was recovering from her hip surgery. Looks like she is in heels in some of the photos so fingers crossed that is a good sign. Hope she is feeling well and continues to heal.

What a lovely couple! I wish them much love and true happiness!

brightphoton

Medalist
In celebration, I shall post some of my favorite Caroline skates! :yahoo: :yahoo:

The famous exhibition that rocketed Caroline to fame, You Raise Me Up at 2007 Jr Nationals
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0J2hkcYxWo

2008 Ave Maria at Nationals
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LpW3f5EYSs

2008 Lullaby for a Stormy Night at TEB Exhibition
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9i4RpKDYqrg

2007 Spanish Gypsy, 2007 Junior GPF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zE0pKn3iQ6s

and Caroline's Pearl spin in slow motion
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JaMJUdvoZI

Alchamei

Record Breaker
I had no idea they were even dating as well! But I'm so happy for them, what a lovely couple. :love:

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Wow congrats, can't believe Carolina is old enough to be engaged now, what a season it's been for Grant, first senior National medal, top 10 finish at 4CC and Worlds (at home too!). Congrats to the happy couple!

brightphoton

Medalist
Hochstein went the traditional route and started by asking Zhang's father for permission to marry his daughter.

"The most stressful part for me was asking her dad," he said. "He was like, 'I'll consider your request,' and then he didn't say anything for a month and a half."

I like Dad Zhang's style :)

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Very sweet story about the proposal on Ice Network; sorry for the repetition if someone already posted & I missed it:

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2016/04/06/170770142

Lovely story.

After apgold's comment asking if Caroline was coming back, I started wondering when her last competition was. So, I looked it up, and Stats On Ice and Wikipedia both said 2015 Nationals.

But, when I was on her Wikipedia page, I spotted something that I had never heard before. Caroline's Chinese name: Zhang Yuanyuan. And seeing this started me thinking.

OK, so it is probably a bit early to be talking about this, but I wonder what type of ceremony they plan to have. Traditional Western ceremony, or traditional Chinese ceremony? Or a ceremony that is a mixture of both? Or even 2 ceremonies?

From reading that story, it does seem that Grant places a lot of importance on Caroline's heritage, and the traditions that go with it. So, I hope that they will be able to have a wedding that reflects both cultures.

Whatever route they go down, I hope it is the happiest day of their lives!

CaroLiza_fan

brightphoton

Medalist
Lovely story.

After apgold's comment asking if Caroline was coming back, I started wondering when her last competition was. So, I looked it up, and Stats On Ice and Wikipedia both said 2015 Nationals.

But, when I was on her Wikipedia page, I spotted something that I had never heard before. Caroline's Chinese name: Zhang Yuanyuan. And seeing this started me thinking.

OK, so it is probably a bit early to be talking about this, but I wonder what type of ceremony they plan to have. Traditional Western ceremony, or traditional Chinese ceremony? Or a ceremony that is a mixture of both? Or even 2 ceremonies?

From reading that story, it does seem that Grant places a lot of importance on Caroline's heritage, and the traditions that go with it. So, I hope that they will be able to have a wedding that reflects both cultures.

CaroLiza_fan

The wedding won't be until after the 2018 Olympics so there's plenty of time to speculate. :)

Yuanyuan in Mandarin means Circle Circle, or Round Round. Because of that, one of Caroline's nicknames on GS was OO.

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I'm FB friends with Grant and he posted more than a year ago that Caroline had converted to the Catholic religion and even posted photos. I'd guess from that the ceremony with be Catholic.

Someone asked Caroline why she doesn't go by her Chinese name (her sister does use her Chinese name) and Caroline commented that she really didn't want to be known as "RoundRound".
I wish them the very best for a long and happy life together.
Lovely story.

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I'm FB friends with Grant and he posted more than a year ago that Caroline had converted to the Catholic religion and even posted photos. I'd guess from that the ceremony with be Catholic.

Very interesting. Thanks for the info.

The wedding won't be until after the 2018 Olympics so there's plenty of time to speculate. :)

And knowing what this forum is like, there will be plenty of speculation! :laugh:

Yuanyuan in Mandarin means Circle Circle, or Round Round. Because of that, one of Caroline's nicknames on GS was OO.

Someone asked Caroline why she doesn't go by her Chinese name (her sister does use her Chinese name) and Caroline commented that she really didn't want to be known as "RoundRound".

Wow! So YuanYaun means "RoundRound"

Now that I know what her proper name means, I can totally understand why she uses an Anglicized name.

A girl who does figure skating who is called "RoundRound". I can imagine the sort of cruel things the other kids would have said when she was growing up if they twigged that her name meant that.

Sad, really.

I have a good friend whose family is originally from Hong Kong. His Chinese name is See Rock, but he always uses the Anglicized name "Bob". Although I don't actually know what his name means in Cantonese, you can imagine the sort of taunts that English-speaking kids would have made just from hearing it said. So, I understand why he uses the Anglicized name all the time.

That said, his whole family use their Anglicized names all the time. So, it is not just him. On the other hand, his cousin's family use their Chinese names all the time.

I always found it curious that 2 branches of the same family took different approaches. So, I find it particularly interesting that the same thing is happening in Caroline's family.

Anyway, whatever she calls herself, what matters here is that Grant calls her the love of his life! ;)

CaroLiza_fan

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
Wow, this is such a shocker for me, they look so cute together!

Congratulations on the engagement, such wonderful news following his great Worlds showing! Wishing them both an eternity of love and happiness together. :luv17:

carriecmu0503

On the Ice

I wish them the very best for a long and happy life together.

I wouldn't be surprised if they do a version of both for their ceremony. My best friend, who is ethnic Chinese, married one of my other close friends, a Caucasian, Catholic male. They had both a traditional Catholic ceremony, with the bride in a traditional white dress, and a traditional Chinese tea ceremony, with both in traditional Chinese dress.

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I could easily see Grant and Caroline doing something like this. They seem so much in love and so caring about each other that I can easily imagine them wanting to include both families in the ceremony.

I wouldn't be surprised if they do a version of both for their ceremony. My best friend, who is ethnic Chinese, married one of my other close friends, a Caucasian, Catholic male. They had both a traditional Catholic ceremony, with the bride in a traditional white dress, and a traditional Chinese tea ceremony, with both in traditional Chinese dress.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I loved the TSL interview of these two and yes it does talk about Caroline's conversion as a Christian and shows Grant's devotion to her and vice versa. So happy for them; yuo wonder how they can afford it being second tier skaters with dreams and in Carolie's case major comeback from injury. I much prefer GS thread about this happy event rather than the sniping and mean spirited comments I read on what site about Grant. This couple deserves a fairy tale ending - they may not be olympic medallists (at least yet) like tanith and charlie but you don' t have to have a world or olympic medal to marry your special person for life. I hope we see a triumpant life whether or not they rise again in the skating ranks.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I also knew someone who had both a traditional Catholic ceremony and a Chinese ceremony.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I went to a combined Methodist/Hindu wedding ceremony. It was very inspiring and well done!