Caroline Zhang's 2009-10 season | Page 49 | Golden Skate

Caroline Zhang's 2009-10 season

cornell08

Final Flight
I think its really just about Caroline realizing she shouldn't change things drastically (her consistency in jumps) during the Olympic season by switching coaches, but instead could get balanced help from both her primary coach Li and Wong who helps her with speed, choreography. The mule kick I thought was a bit better during Golden West, and hopefully will improve but mostly I just hope she speeds up and gets her 3-3 back consistently and fully rotated.

Charlene, Li and Caroline all seem to be on good terms. Charlene's posted cheery messages on Caroline's facebook photos/wall so I doubt there's any hard feelings there. Caroline's just put up some photos of her and Mirai on their way to the Skate for the Heart show and they apparently have polished off a wheel of a deep dish Giordano pizza. :no:

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
At the Crystal Skate in Massachusetts back in June, Caroline enjoyed a slice of cake at the meet-and-greet. I was kind of surprised by that.

feraina

Record Breaker
Well, on facebook she often mentions eating ice cream or cake. It seems like a very unhealthy diet for an elite athlete. And especially for a girl going through puberty. :no:

Medusa

Record Breaker
Well, on facebook she often mentions eating ice cream or cake. It seems like a very unhealthy diet for an elite athlete. And especially for a girl going through puberty. :no:
Bollocks. There is nothing wrong with a piece of cake each day, or ice-cream. As long as it's not your main food and you don't have any weight issues (she doesn't look like it), it's alright.

Of course she is an elite athlete, but even in that case I would say: if she doesn't experience any problems with her weight or stamina, why change things? And it's good for the soul.

Kypma

Final Flight

Maybe it seems like it's often because most people don't make such a big deal of eating dessert, but to her, it's a rare-ish treat? Not saying she just eats healthy stuff but maybe she has dessert after practice or after working especially hard on something? I agree with Medusa that dessert is definitely good for the soul, too. And if it's not causing problems, why cut of the good things of life? :)

-Kypma

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
it's so amazing how quickly people forget what they read... this is exactly the kind of talk that Jenny Kirk fixated on when she had her eating disorder... crap like this causes young girls to think as stupid as others who freak out when they see her EAT something... OMG! The world is coming to an end, she put CARBS in her mouth! RUN AWAY!

feraina

Record Breaker
I don't want to be alarmist, but when 80% of your facebook updates are about eating junk food of various forms -- not carbs, but fatty things like cakes, ice cream, frappuccino, pizza, etc -- then I think just maybe it's the poster has an obsession with junk food, not the readers? ... just saying.

Anyway, I hope it's really just our paranoia and not a problem for her at all.

LeCygne

Final Flight
I think Caroline is just fine.. I have seen her Facebook updates and yes, she does talk about eating and making junk food quite a bit. But as far as we can tell, it's not a problem or an "obsession." She's a teenager. I hardly think Mirai is eating salad greens all day long either. Caroline looks great, she's skating fine, and I think there's really no reason to worry.

R.D.

Record Breaker
it's so amazing how quickly people forget what they read... this is exactly the kind of talk that Jenny Kirk fixated on when she had her eating disorder... crap like this causes young girls to think as stupid as others who freak out when they see her EAT something... OMG! The world is coming to an end, she put CARBS in her mouth! RUN AWAY!

I was going to say something to this effect...it could easily mean the opposite thing- it's such a big deal to her or her diet doesn't allow it so she might fixate on it.

Bah, I have much more important things to worry about than about what some skater I don't know should or should not eat... :eek:hwell:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
you know on my facebook if i'm making or eating cookies/cake I post it... when I make a salad or just an every day meal, I don't share...

gold12345

Medalist
you know on my facebook if i'm making or eating cookies/cake I post it... when I make a salad or just an every day meal, I don't share...

Exactly. I'm sure Caroline is eating plenty nutritious foods, too, but it's more fun to talk about the sweets. :) She does seem to have a very big sweet tooth... I recall her talking about cream puffs helping her get through Jr Worlds this year. :laugh: Everyone's body responds to food differently, but it doesn't look like Caroline is having any problems.

I'm sure many people here have gone to high school or college with kids who could eat whatever they wanted without gaining a pound and while staying stick thin. Caroline is a young person training many hours a week in a high-level sport...There is a legit chance she could have a little cake or ice cream several times a week (and she probably isn't even doing this) without it having ANY effect on her. If she's eating plenty of nutritious food, too, there's no problem having some pizza or cake here and there. As long as she's not eating outrageous amounts of junk and stuffing her face with pizza and cake for dinner all the time, I think she'll be fine.

Last edited:

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
I figure Caroline isn't going to report on Facebook - "Today I ate a garden salad with no dressing, a cube of tofu, a banana and a cup of 2% milk." I guess she would only report what was unusual. There's no harm in a slice of pizza once in a while. :)

Andalusia

Final Flight
Lovely pics of Mirai, Caroline, and the rest of the cast in rehearsal for Skate for the Heart:

http://www.thaichicagoland.com/2009/09/press-coverage-on-olympic-figure.html

:rolleye: at putting Caroline's picture under Mirai's name. Caroline looks slightly taller than Mirai in that first pic of them together, but they both just look so tall and lanky now! If Michelle was in the pics with them, I'd have died and gone to skating heaven, but she would've looked shorter than Mirai and Caroline. ;)

And that huge black overcoat Mirai has on in the 8th pic does make her look strange. :laugh:

LeCygne

Final Flight
Great pictures, thanks for posting! They look like they're having tons of fun. I hope we get some video and reports from the show! I wonder what program(s) Caroline will skate?

What delightful pictures! Mirai and Caroline look charming and relaxed. I do hope they each have a year where they skate to the best of their abilities. Wouldn't it be great if they both got to go to the Olympics? (Except, sigh, that would keep Rachael, Sasha, and Alyssa out. And Kimmie. Skating--and even skating fandom--is not for the faint of heart!)