Changing Ice Dance Rules & Marina Anissina | Golden Skate

Changing Ice Dance Rules & Marina Anissina

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Marina Anisina complained recently, in Russian, that "Unfortunately, we are going through an americanization of ice dance"

http://www.championat.com/other/_skating/news-977455.html

There is a long thread at FSU inspired by this statement by Anissina:
http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=80893

However, I have a somewhat different conversation in mind than having fans of different eras and different teams start defending their favorites (not to mention some complaining by both citizens of the US and Canada about being lumped together as Americans.)

Marina's comment started me thinking about the process of changing the rules in skating, and the conclusion I've come to is this: those who are consistently losing, and are unhappy about that, are in the final analysis the groups that drive rule change, just because they have thought long and hard about the "unfairness" of the current way of doing things, and have ideas about what needs to be fixed in the rules.

Generally, winners are likely to love the rules under which they are winning!

When it became necessary to develop COP in 2002, after the ice dance/pairs scandal, all the criticisms that could be leveled at the ice dance rules and judging of the 1990's and early 2000's coalesced about that effort, and a number of the old complaints were at least partially addressed.

What!! You didn't know there were criticisms???? You thought along with Marina that her era was the bestest ice dance era Evah??

Well there were indeed criticisms of the era, and are some of them were:

1. In Anissina's era, it was common for team members to have grossly unequal skills. People point to Margaglio being much less skilled than Fusar-Poli, but they were only the most extreme case. Chait was much less skilled than Sakhonovsky, Lobacheva less skilled than Averbukh, Goncharov than Grushina, even Peizerat was not as skilled as Anissina. Now it is unlikely that two people will have exactly the same skill level, but it certainly should be a goal, both in dance and in pairs. COP rewards equal skills. Both partners have to do 100% of all the prescribed turns and twizzles equally in both directions and on both feet, and on correct edges to get top levels in step sequences.

2. Undue reliance on lifts and speed, and Over The Top drama, not skating. As a result, the original version of COP had much more emphasis on complex step sequences as the 'quads' of ice dance. That was later relaxed.

3. The judging of the CD was very contentious, and wasn't settled at the beginning of COP. A recent revision of COP got rid of the CD-but instead of really getting rid of it, it has been enshrined in the SD in a more rigorous form. The key points have to be skated on correct, clean edges, on the correct beats, or you lose levels. During the Anissina era, a lot of inaccuracy was tolerated if only you skated fast (or "big") enough, with enough of the character of the dance to get by. The first version of COP CD judging was just a slightly revised 6.0 style judging-a large block of the dance was given one GOE number. There were no levels.

Here's the protocol from the 2010 World Championships, the last worlds with the old style CD:

http://www.isuresults.com/results/wc2010/wc10_IceDance_CD_Scores.pdf

Naturally, winners under the old rules, like Anissina, are likely to be offended by the new rules, and the winners under the new rules. She reminds me of Peggy Fleming back in the early 1980's who was really nasty then about ladies who could do triple jumps, and wanted to label every girl whose jumps were weak as strong on the artistic side, and denigrate every lady with strong jumps as somehow not artistic. Once Peggy retired from pro skating, she became more mellow.

The losers cry deal; then the old winners, who are now losers, cry deal again.

Of course, this is idle speculation on my part, but I thought, maybe someone else would be interested.

So what do you think about Marina's statement? About what causes the changes in rules, and what changes actually happen and why those changes and not others? Or anything else that interests you?

jcoates

Medalist
Nice post Doris, with lots of really interesting points. I remember writing something about this a few months ago. The 90s and early 00s had a lot of low points in ice dance in terms of quality of skating, but high points in terms of drama. Sadly, many fans confused drama for quality. I remember Peggy's disdain for jumpers well. She always preferred Kaday and Trennary to Thomas even though Debi was a far stronger competitor. Even in the early days of Michelle's career, Peggy appeared to favor Bobek who was more expressive at the time. Once Michelle blossomed, Peggy came around big time. In fairness though, the explosion of jumpers in the 80s was not received well by a lot of traditionalists in the 80s and early 90s. I think skating is going through another major transition period now much like the period after figures went away. People griped about that for nearly a decade and a whole different group of skaters rose to the top to win events. That same behavior is going on now because other skaters now have a chance, particularly in dance.

Poodlepal

On the Ice
This is part of a general trend in figure skating that some people like and some don't. The emphasis is much more on edges and footwork and less on "splashier" skills like jumps, lifts, and overdramatic choreography. I've said this before, but I'll say it again: while this might be a good move to return figure skating to what it may have started out as, (i.e. actual skating) it hurts it as a televised spectator sport.

Remember the time in the late 80's, early 90's, when ice dancing was really over the top? When women used to lay on the ice and get pulled by their skate, with their head dragging? When every free skate ended in someone dying or falling on the ice? That may have driven the purists crazy, but it was fun to watch! There's something about doing a twizzle on the right edge that just doesn't compare.

gkelly

Record Breaker
With ice dance in particular, there seem to be different definitions about what does or doesn't constitute "dance." People with different definitions are going to resent programs that don't fit their definition, especially if those programs are winning.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
It really comes down to the rules. Just as in the other disciplines of the sport, the "Free Dance" is too rigid. Twizzles should not be a requirement in Free Dances. Pair spins should not be a requirement in Free Dances. Having 4 lifts should not be required.

Another problem is how gaining Levels on elements gets rewarded more than quality and excellent choreography/interpretation. Sometimes a "Level 1" footwork sequence is a good thing.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I can't say that I am in favor of Level 1 steps in dance, since in general they are pretty sloppy. However, some freedom in what you can do in a step sequence would be nice. The current version is basically having to do at least one of everything every way possible. Since the rink is only so large, the step sequences end up looking a lot alike. I'm like to see the option for 4 lifts eliminated. IMO, there are now tood many lifts again.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
I have to disagree about the old theatrical style of ice dance being so much fun. Even though I do enjoy a certain amount of theatrics and storytelling ,here and there, I really enjoy the dancing bits , which were becoming harder and harder to find. It certainly didn't attract viewers among my family and friends. It actually got quite depressing , to me.

Part of the problem was the inevitable urge to emulate . Team Wannabe : Oh, that was successful for them , so we'll do something similar , only even more dramatic . If one partner can't keep up technically , we'll just hide him / her behind the good one as they fly past the judges , emoting like mad.We'll think up an even more outlandish story and be even more artistic. :rolleye:

One of my most persistent memories from those years was the year U/Z were supposed to be statues coming to life ( 4 seasons ?). At the same time , I think K/P were supposed to be wind and sand dunes ( LoA )...anyway, you couldn't really tell one from the other without a program. As luck would have it , at the commercial breaks, they kept playing a commercial that featured statues coming to life and going for coffee break .:laugh:It was like being caught in a bad nightmare.

T

Taffy

I have to disagree about the old theatrical style of ice dance being so much fun. Even though I do enjoy a certain amount of theatrics and storytelling ,here and there, I really enjoy the dancing bits , which were becoming harder and harder to find. It certainly didn't attract viewers among my family and friends. It actually got quite depressing , to me.

I have to agree with this.

I was actually completely turned off to ice dance for many years because of the ridiculous theatrics and many really horrible costumes.
I have vivid memories of watching ice dance on TV and the whole family roaring with laughter. No one was impressed with the supposed "artistry."

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I can't say that I am in favor of Level 1 steps in dance, since in general they are pretty sloppy.

It all comes down to how well the team actually does it. All that Level means is the # of steps and turns included in the step sequence, with some other criteria. A step sequence with just a few very difficult steps/turns that blazes across the ice could very well be called as "Level 1" even though it's very difficult to execute well.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I think, too, that the "old dogs" cry foul on the CoP because they look at it like some of the "newer fans" of the sport do. That CoP negates what they did, which just isn't true, but yet our boards are filled with posters who completely dismiss the all time greats due to the "simpleness" or "easiness" of the ordinal system.

Antilles

Medalist
Listening to some skaters complain reminds me of people complaining that music was only good in their own era. It's not specifically CoP. Skaters have been griping about the next generation for sometime, and long before CoP arrived. Apparently it's human nature to think you came from the best era.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Agreed. If you were like classical, jazz is just insolent noise. If you like jazz, rock is the devil. If you like rock, rap/hip-hop is a sign of the apocalypse. Nostalgia just ain't what it used to be.

True, but come on. Rock and roll of the fifties and early sixties? Elvis Presley? Chuck Berry? Little Richard? Its been all down hill since then. :yes:

callalily

On the Ice

ITA. The OTT theatrics did nothing for me.

I love beautiful edges and technique, and in a well-designed program, with emotion, top-notch skating is gorgeous to watch. :)

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
This is part of a general trend in figure skating that some people like and some don't. The emphasis is much more on edges and footwork and less on "splashier" skills like jumps, lifts, and overdramatic choreography. I've said this before, but I'll say it again: while this might be a good move to return figure skating to what it may have started out as, (i.e. actual skating) it hurts it as a televised spectator sport.

Remember the time in the late 80's, early 90's, when ice dancing was really over the top? When women used to lay on the ice and get pulled by their skate, with their head dragging? When every free skate ended in someone dying or falling on the ice? That may have driven the purists crazy, but it was fun to watch! There's something about doing a twizzle on the right edge that just doesn't compare.

I have to admit this sorta freaks me out, because that's a staggeringly narrow image of what the sport should be.

callalily

On the Ice

The story, or presentation, should be compelling at the elite level; I certainly agree with that.

But edgework and quality skating skills are the foundation of each skating discipline. They are what make gorgeous skating possible, and must be rewarded, IMO.

If one simply wants dramatics, why not go to the theatre, or the opera? Skating technique is unique to the sport, yet permits us to create great beauty, as T/D and V/M have done, for example.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Listening to some skaters complain reminds me of people complaining that music was only good in their own era. It's not specifically CoP. Skaters have been griping about the next generation for sometime, and long before CoP arrived. Apparently it's human nature to think you came from the best era.

true... to some extent... they just seem more vocal now, but I think that might also be because of the internet age...

callalily

On the Ice
they just seem more vocal now, but I think that might also be because of the internet age...

ITA, the Internet has given (us all) a platform to express our views in any way we want to, and reach a large audience.

It's interesting to see the role the Internet plays in shaping public opinion, especially among niche communities.The minute Marina was quoted at FSU, the debate was on.....

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
ITA, the Internet has given (us all) a platform to express our views in any way we want to, and reach a large audience.

It's interesting to see the role the Internet plays in shaping public opinion, especially among niche communities.The minute Marina was quoted at FSU, the debate was on.....

Indeed the Internet has also allowed people to make comments that are uncalled for. Just on these the ice dancing threads alone, there has been comments that Tessa Virtue is fat, that Katelin Weaver dresses like a tramp and that the Shibutanis are grotesque smile monsters.

These comments seem to come in, imo, because the posters cannot say anything constructive about their skating. Do I think V/M, W/P or S/S are perfect? Of course not! But I think there has been some very good posts with valid criticism of the technical and artistry of what they do instead of a personal attack on the skaters themselves.

As for dissing the old school ice dancers, I don't quite agree with that either. For the most part, I still feel the right people won in the end (although some could debate the 1994 Olympics...). Probably what's more at debate is what certain skaters in that 3-6 ranking got held up/held down.

Last edited: