Charlie White talks politics on Twitter | Golden Skate

Charlie White talks politics on Twitter

Jennifer Lyon

On the Ice
http://www.espn.com/olympics/story/...ncer-charlie-white-finding-voice-social-media

Since then, amid personal snapshots and promotional tidbits for the ice shows he does with partner and co-gold medalist Meryl Davis, White, whose Twitter handle is @CharlieaWhite, has posted a steady stream of strong opinions about national politics. Many of his Tweets have pointedly criticized the Trump administration, but White keeps returning to a more general theme he felt keenly as an international athlete: the image and example his country presents to the world.

Warwick360

Medalist
Ah. I thought he wasn't staying silent on the matter of whether he's retiring or not. Ah, how disappointing. :eek:hwell:

bestolen

Rinkside
I thought it was about Virtue/Moir beat Shibs/Shibs.:coffee:
He wasn't silent on politics on twitter.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
That was a really wonderful interview. I have been impressed with Charlie's willingness to engage with people of all political persuasions and so with his tone. He is very respectful and disagrees without slamming the other person personally.

Jennifer Lyon

On the Ice
That was a really wonderful interview. I have been impressed with Charlie's willingness to engage with people of all political persuasions and so with his tone. He is very respectful and disagrees without slamming the other person personally.

I'm wondering if perhaps Charlie plans to run for office at some point? Or maybe he's planning to work on one of the 2018 midterm campaigns?

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am so impressed with Charlie's tone and respect and willingness to engage on Twitter that I have followed him.

And this interview is very informative, not only for what he says about his speaking out now, but about his interviews as a competitor. Honest and self aware, bravo:clap:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
LOL. He and Meryl were a PR person's dream and a reporter's nightmare. And I'm sure they would still be the same about skating and skaters. What would be the opposite of dishing the dirt? I guess washing the dishes (with an antibacterial detergent). He's a better person than me. I've gotten to the point where I actively hate a good number of my fellow citizens and my own country and want nothing at all to do with them. At all. They played divide and conquer and sowed hate and now they're reaping their results.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Good for him for exercising his right to speech.

While I respect it, I don't give his views any extra credence or importance.

He's just a guy, saying what he thinks.

I'm wondering if perhaps Charlie plans to run for office at some point? Or maybe he's planning to work on one of the 2018 midterm campaigns?

Charlie and Tanith were once on a local "Newlywed Game" sort of interview on TV. One of those things where you try to find out how much one partner really knows about the other. So the question about Charlie was, "what does he want to be after his skating days are over?"

Tanith guessed "politician." Charlie saiid, "Lawyer." :)

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
LOL. He and Meryl were a PR person's dream and a reporter's nightmare. And I'm sure they would still be the same about skating and skaters. What would be the opposite of dishing the dirt? I guess washing the dishes (with an antibacterial detergent). He's a better person than me. I've gotten to the point where I actively hate a good number of my fellow citizens and my own country and want nothing at all to do with them. At all. They played divide and conquer and sowed hate and now they're reaping their results.

Oh, my.

I don't actively hate anyone, certainly not my own country nor my own countrymen.

I disagree with many, hate none. Hatred is self-poisoning.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well good for you. But I don't need to be condescended to.

Yes. Good for me. My ideal candidate is not in the White House. But the sun still rises.

I'm not being condescending. I wish you peace. Genuinely.