choreography spirals? | Golden Skate

choreography spirals?

macy

Record Breaker
could someone please explain the choreography spirals and why they changed it to this from spiral sequences? i kind of miss the sequences...

gkelly

Record Breaker
My understanding of the reasons for the change are that

-the way the levels were defined, it was not very difficult for an elite skater to earn level 4, so most skaters started with the same base mark anyway and the only distinctions to be made were on quality

-most skaters were using the same features to earn levels, which led to many spiral sequences looking the same and cut down on creativity or fitting the spiral sequence to the program theme and musical phrasing

-skaters were choosing to include variations that would gain more points (ensure a higher level) even if those variations didn't look good on their individual bodies

By eliminating the levels from the spiral sequence, the hope was that skaters would design their spirals to fit the program and showcase their individual strengths better and to give the option of holding one position for a longer time rather than being required to include at least two different positions (as was always the case in long programs -- 3 were required in SPs).

Eliminating spiral sequences -- or second step sequences for men -- from the short programs was to give more time for in-between skating outside the elements that specifically suited the individual skater and program theme, which may or may not include spirals.

I think there are arguments in favor of both approaches -- I'm not sure which I prefer.

macy

Record Breaker
that makes sense and is a good argument, i just miss seeing more spirals for a longer period of time, they are one of the iconic moves in skating. what exactly are the requirements now?

mskater93

Record Breaker
2 spirals of at least 3 seconds or 1 spiral of at least 6.

If it's not required and doesn't gain points, you're not going to see it

gkelly

Record Breaker
If it's not required and doesn't gain points, you're not going to see it

Not from all skaters. The few exceptions who happen to do a move particularly well will include it to get points for Transitions.

Unless it's so risky or energy-draining that including it would take away from the rest of the program.

If the powers-that-be want to see a particular skill from all skaters whether they're good at it or not (and encourage them to work on getting better at it), then they have to make it required.

ivy

On the Ice
I was glad to see the end of spiral sequences - so many ended up slow, awkward and with unattractive positions - kind of like we see in some spins these days.

It doesn't seem that we are seeing more beautiful, dramatic or lyrical spirals under the new plan, but hope springs eternal. Even back in the 'good old day' of Kwan, Cohen and Arakawa only a few skaters could really deliver inspirational spirals.

What I miss is Ina Bauers and Spread Eagles - I guess they don't count because they are on two feet. For me they really express that fast gliding freedom that is one of the joys of skating.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Not from all skaters. The few exceptions who happen to do a move particularly well will include it to get points for Transitions.

Unless it's so risky or energy-draining that including it would take away from the rest of the program.

That is EXACTLY my point