Cohen's beauty and polish not appreciated? | Page 12 | Golden Skate

Cohen's beauty and polish not appreciated?

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Sasha has won only two titles that can be considered "major": the 2006 US title and the 2002-2003 GPF title.
The others:
GP events: SA 2003; SC 2002 and 2003; Lalique 2002 and 2003.
Finlandia 2001
Crest 2002
Campbell's 2003 and 2005
Marshall's (spring) 2004

Methinks her bucket is only half full....

Yeah and both "major" titles she won was without Kwan in the field, although she did Slutskaya to win the GP final, and that years World Champion Meissner to win the U.S title.

But I do ask, why Cohen? Why not other skaters? That's the confusing part. Please elaborate!
Because she's the only skater you defend if someone says something that you believe is negative towards her. I think its time you came out of the closet and admitted your fascination for Cohen.;)

Joe

MKFSfan

Medalist
Yeah and both "major" titles she won was without Kwan in the field, although she did Slutskaya to win the GP final, and that years World Champion Meissner to win the U.S title.

Perhaps, BUT she still did well enough to win both titles. At Nationals, there was no way Kimmie, even if she skated as she did to win Worlds, would have beaten a semi-clean Sasha. They would never sent their best US lady off to the games without the win. I thought her skate was fine, flat and lacking emotion, but she had been dealing with the flu all week, and she still skated better than the rest of the field, which is what winning competitions is about. Even when she has skated well enough, someone seems to sneak in there and skate better, which IMO, is what has separated Sasha from the Champions who seize the moment and up their level of performance, she has yet to really do that. At GPF 2003, Irina was having a rough time, her mom had just be diagnosed with kidney failure and she was up all night before the LP, and Sasha was able to capitalize on that, yet she still had mistakes. Not a knock on Sasha's win that Irina wasn't able to perform her best.

As for these Worlds, that should have been an easy competition had Sasha come to win. A few years ago, I read a statement by a well known horse trainer who said during the competition season, he would not take more than 1 day off a week, because elsewhere, someone is practicing and when you meet them, they will beat you. That is fitting for Worlds 2006. Fumie went home from Turin and practiced, reworked her spins. Kimmie practiced her tail off and came prepared. Sasha took some time off to nurse "minor but nagging" injuries and attended many interviews and parties. IMO, if she really could not show up prepared, she shouldn't have. I get the Olympic season is taxing and stressful, injuries crop up. But this was a pretty easy season competition wise if you compare to Olympic seasons from before. I wouldn't belittle Yuka's, Michelle's and Irina's Championship wins following Olympics with out the OGM, and had Sasha won this one, I wouldn't have put an asterik next to that win, anymore than saying she won Nationals, without Kwan.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Because she's the only skater you defend if someone says something that you believe is negative towards her. I think its time you came out of the closet and admitted your fascination for Cohen.;)

Joe

Before I respond, thanks for saying this in a non-condescending, straightforward way. :clap: :clap:

But, the ONLY skater? I strongly disagree. I did the same thing for Sarah Hughes on another forum - I defended her to the hilt- yet I didn't get any comments or digs calling me a Sarah fan (I also put in a disclaimer, so maybe that helped ;) )

Maybe on THIS forum it's possible I'm doing something I'm not completely conscious of. But let's break it down again. Say that what you say is true- I "defend" Cohen whenever I perceive a comment about her to be negative - (in other words I offer a counter-argument, not bash the poster in question like an ardous fan might), and suddenly I'm the biggest fan of hers that ever lived?? Eh, did I miss something? :laugh: If that was the case, I'd have no more space as it would be covered with shrines dedicated to skaters :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

ok, I'm scaring myself here. :cool:

eta: In all seriousness, though, you know how I am. I say what I think and often times get a lot of heat for it. If I really did like her don't you think I would have said so by now? I'm not scared off when posters begin to get bullying, why would I shy away from saying I was a fan of someone's? Anyone?

Last edited:

kittyjake5

On the Ice
RD-Well I am dying to know-do you have a favorite female figure skater?
I will make it a little easier for you I will name the obivous skaters that are discussed the most on this board and you tell us who you like the best,
not who you think is the best skater but who you prefer.

-Michelle
-Sasha
-Irina
-Fumie
-Shiz

R.D.

Record Breaker
I like your approach. Just don't assume the one I name as #1 is my favorite skater, because I don't necessarily have one.

Out of the skaters you listed, I'd have to say I'd put Arakawa at #1. She really is a beauty out there on the ice and I just get this cool vibe from her. In other words, she isn't a "warm" skater like, say, I might say Michelle is, but I'd call her a "cool" skater. Not cold but just cool. She doesn't project her emotion out there like Kwan does, but I don't really think she needs to. She has her own style. Off the ice, though, it's totally different...she's in her own world it seems...

Next is a tough one. If I threw up a coin on this one I'd have to say Sasha. A lot of times she leaves me cold and I don't necessarily like her style, but when she turns up the fun on a piece like "Don't Rain On My Parade", she can be quite enjoyable. I think her Marshall's 05 performance is her best (televised) rendition of it.

But normally she does sappy pieces that tend to bore me to tears (Romeo and Juliet? COME ON) and I think her GBA performance was touching in a way but still, the thought of it is so corny. I hate it when someone gets patriotic on my...(you can finish the rest :biggrin:)

Third would definitely be Kwan. There are two of her performances I will always remember: Her freeskate from Nationals 2003 and her freeskate from Worlds 2003. Especially the former was really touching to me and the only performance of hers (or anybody else's for that matter) I've actually felt TRUE heartfelt emotion from. I don't know if her fans just want to make things up or whether she truly "wears her heart on a sleeve". If she doesn't then she should go into acting immediately. But on other performances, I'm sorry...I just don't "get it" from her. I'm also quite skeptical of many of the choices she's made in her career, and that's probably what's gotten some Kwanfans to hate me so much.

Fourth, hmm...I really don't feel it from either Slutskaya or Suguri. I'll admit that Irina really had a good performance at the 2005 Worlds but I just didn't want her to win at all so I didn't really enjoy the performance itself. I do however like the power and energy that she brings to figure skating when she's on. Out of the two, I'd pick Suguri since she's the more likeable one. Something about Irina just turns me away from her. Maybe the blatant hypocrisy between what she tells the Russian press and what she tells the North American press?

eta: Also, someone not on the list...Kimmie Meissner. She's a good kid and I try to like her but just can't do it...she needs to develop some style out there.

Last edited:

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Wow, you answered. Approach eh?:cool:

Interesting and surprising.?

I just heard a group of teenage girls in the corner 10 rows up all chime in with a "we love you Red Dog!":laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
:laugh: I was expecting the same response I received. It is funny that my top 2 are your bottom on that list anyway. And I am a "Dog" lover too. ?:laugh:

Last edited:
Bravo RD!!!

As for the Kwan fans, they too have joined the Club of No Favorites. But the Kwanfans still like Figure Skating.

Can you say you like Figure Skating?

Joe

R.D.

Record Breaker
Another good question. I'll be straight up with you guys once again.

I think it's safe to say I fall "in and out of love with" figure skating. Sometimes I really enjoy talking about it and making predictions but when it comes to actually watching the event unfold I can become bored...and maybe even turn it off since most of the time I know what the outcomes are already. However, one thing stops me from completely abandoning skating, and that's keeping up and updating my extensive media collection of pictures and videos. Especially with the celeb forums I frequent posting more and more beautiful HQ figure skating pics (many I share with you guys now for the time being) it kind of keeps me "involved" if you know what I mean.

Also, I'll never stop liking the Olympics. Ladies' figure skating is the only event I really watch and keep up with at the Winter games, so that's one thing that won't stop.

As for right now, I think I'll stick it out. With most of the veterans gone my eye is really only on one skater right now, and I don't even enjoy watching that skater. Maybe that'll change, though.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
To address the topic, I disgree and think that Cohen does get rewarded for her beauty and polish. Otherwise, she'd place where Yan Liu generally places.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Bravo RD!!!

As for the Kwan fans, they too have joined the Club of No Favorites. But the Kwanfans still like Figure Skating.

Can you say you like Figure Skating?

Joe

I totally disagree with the above... I am not a member of the Club of No Favorites... :bow: I am a Michelle Kwan skating fan:bow: ... And will remain so until the bitter end... Are we Kwan fans supposed to not be a fan because her skating future is up in the air? There are still Tara & Sarah fans floating around...

And I don't like figure skating, I love figure skating... (a given seeing how time I waste at work on this board...) Just because I'm not over the moon about a new skater doesn't negate my love of skating or Michelle Kwan fandom...

Alright. Back to making the world a better place, one marketing event at a time...

R.D.

Record Breaker
I agree, though. Some dedicated fans will continue to support the person up to the very end of their career, and maybe even into other fields they may get themselves involved in afterward. Those are the loyal fans.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
I agree, though. Some dedicated fans will continue to support the person up to the very end of their career, and maybe even into other fields they may get themselves involved in afterward. Those are the loyal fans.

Can't you do both? And what's the difference with skaters? Jordan fans are Jordan fans... They still sell the ugle shoe because it sports 23 on the side... But they continue to root for other players & other teams...

R.D.

Record Breaker
sure you can. I never said you can't. I take it that although fans share a general interest in a skater, if you interview each individual fan and ask them why they like this skater you'll get plenty of different responses. :yes:

I totally disagree with the above... I am not a member of the Club of No Favorites... :bow: I am a Michelle Kwan skating fan:bow: ... And will remain so until the bitter end... Are we Kwan fans supposed to not be a fan because her skating future is up in the air? There are still Tara & Sarah fans floating around...

And I don't like figure skating, I love figure skating... (a given seeing how time I waste at work on this board...) Just because I'm not over the moon about a new skater doesn't negate my love of skating or Michelle Kwan fandom...

Alright. Back to making the world a better place, one marketing event at a time...
Boy, you jump to conclusions, KW. It seemed obvious I was talking about competitive skating. As a Kwanfan, I have no one in particular that I am rooting for at any forthcoming competitions. It's been the same with the Men. After John Curry, it took a while to think of Kurt B as a favorite, but none since.

There are many skaters I enjoy seeing from wherever in the world they come from, and hopefully see improvements each year, but they are not personal favorites.

As to liking figure skating, I enjoy all the disciplines and am always happy to see the best one or team win. I don't attend competitions to see one skater.

Joe

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Boy, you jump to conclusions, KW. It seemed obvious I was talking about competitive skating. As a Kwanfan, I have no one in particular that I am rooting for at any forthcoming competitions. It's been the same with the Men. After John Curry, it took a while to think of Kurt B as a favorite, but none since.

There are many skaters I enjoy seeing from wherever in the world they come from, and hopefully see improvements each year, but they are not personal favorites.

As to liking figure skating, I enjoy all the disciplines and am always happy to see the best one or team win. I don't attend competitions to see one skater.

Joe

I fail to see how I'm jumping to conclusions... your post indicated that Kwan fans are members of the Club of No Favorites... I simply disagree with the lumping of Kwan fans into yet another group because she's not competiting this year.

There are skaters who I've taken a shine to, not many, but then again, I'm selective by nature... And if I attend a competition this year, it will be to see two or three, but its always been like that... I guess what I'm trying to say (and yes, my articulate gene has indeed left the building...) is that while I may be an uber Kwan fan, I love skating enough to root for someone new as the season develops, because for me, its more fun that way and I never understand these differeations of fans throughout the skating community... its just illogical to me... can't one simply be a figure skating fan without all the bagage of being forced into a specific box?

Ok. My brain is fried and I can't type a coherant sentance. I'm going home.

I think the differences between us lies in the definition of a fan - any fan.

I like baseball and I am an avid fan of the METS. I'm not that interested in Football, Hockey and Basketball (team sports) but I do follow them.

With Michelle apparently bowing out of competitive skating I don't feel I have to find another skater to be a fan of. I continue to like figure skating and enjoy it. I don't feel compelled to find a new skater to root for. Other skaters do not have to be American. Michelle was fine and continues to be The Lady. I love watching other Ladies, but that is just one of the disciplines I am interested in. I follow Juniors as well as Seniors.

The Club of No Fans was not meant to be a serious statement. That is the reason for 'jumping to conclusions'. I rarely use emoticons.

In conclusion, I am a big fan of figures skating and MK will always be special.

Joe