Cohen's Comeback | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Cohen's Comeback

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
I have the perfect solution for all these comebacks. Instead of trying for the Olympics, they could go on one of those "Skating with the Stars" programs, where, as celebrities, they are paired with active skaters.

Sasha (actress), paired with Johnny Weir.

Kristi (professional dancer), paired with Evan Lysacek.

Michelle (international diplomat), paired with her old partner Matt Savoie :rock:

Matt would first have to reinstate, but then he could be reunited with his teammate from some of the old cheesefests where they competed in two-person "teams."

They would blow away celebrity-skater pairs teams like Justin Timberlake/Mirai Nagasu or Peyton Manning/Rachael Flatt. :yes:

I like this whole concept, but would rather see Kristi with Johnny and Sasha with Evan :p, but Peyton Manning and Rachel Flatt, yeah, that would be worth tuning in for! Football QB and wholesome girl-next-door-skater should generate some fandom for skating, maybe.

Oh, and I'd like to see Matt again on ANY terms! :yes:

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I think she is simply saying this to get attention. A year from now there will be a mysterious injury or deeply thought out personal decision or some such nonsense.

How do you know? The same could be said for Plushenko.

I haven't read anything that she is on the Hollywood A-List, so we can forget about the acting thing. Acting is on again off again. Sasha seems to want to make a name for herself, and I believe she can do it in figure skating. I think that would be her best bet. She won't have to compete with Kirsten Dunst et al.

In Torino, she got quite a bit of attention - a silver medal, and later a tour of the post Oscar's dinners. I really think she was at her happiest in this period.

I'm all for her to come back, if that is what she really wants. Of course, she has to work hard at getting back to what she had And then, work harder to get her technical up to the current standards of 3x3s. She'll not only face the new breed of American ladies, but also the Asian invasion into the ladies' division.

I wish her the best but at the same time I do not want her to preclude one of the new breed of American ladies. BTW, I would say the same about Kwan.

lmarie086

Medalist
I wish her the best but at the same time I do not want her to preclude one of the new breed of American ladies. BTW, I would say the same about Kwan.

Same here. I am a huge/longtime Kwan fan, but I wouldn't want her to return now. Kwan and Cohen belonged to a different era; I'd like to see the latest generation make/continue to make their marks.

And in regards to Cohen, I'll try to say what I said on fsuniverse (if I can remember it correctly). She obviously has a lot of talent, and there's nothing that says she can't make a comeback. But making a comeback and making podiums are two different things. Cohen is a very graceful skater; her strengths lie in the spins and spirals. However, these days we have skaters who can do both and land the jumps on a regular basis. She also did not have the best training habits back when she was competiting, so I don't really see that she would improve them now, after not competitng since 2006.

Also, with the news that she'll be headlining SOI, I'm skeptical that she ever will come back at this point, in time for Vancouver. But if she does, I'll be happy for her fans.
I'd rather see a pro-competition of some of the greats such as Kwan, Cohen, Arakawa, Slutskaya, etc. though.

^^^^
I'm all for a "Senior Tour". (Senior meaning Retired) of competitions. Say 4 comps a year. Golf has them; Tennis has them. Why not figure skating.

Bennett

Record Breaker
I feel that Shizuka would be able to come back if she wants as I hear that she has continued to improve and is even better now than before. I have only seen her shows on TV and do not know if she still does 3-3. But I heard that her 3-lutz is still very easy. I also heard that she rarely misses any of her (easier) jumps in shows.

Perhaps she does not want to come back though, as she seems so happily busy with what she does now (appearing shows, TV sport news reporter, commentator).

In any case, I can surely say that her presentation has certainly become so much better after she turned to pro. Can't believe how boring she was early in her career. I also like her costumes better after turning to pro. I didn't like the tastes of her costumes when she was ama. I feel that Sasha was one of the few ama skaters who had really fashionable costumes with fashionable makeup and hairdo. I don't really feel that she would be competitive against Mirai and Rachel with her edge problems in lutz and flip and inconsistency in her jumps. But I feel that Sasha was really pleasurable to watch. I would love to watch her skate on TV again.

Last edited: