Coronation Ace defect? | Golden Skate

Coronation Ace defect?

BearSkater

Spectator
Hello all,

My wife purchased a pair of Coronation Ace which was just sharpened for the first time after being installed on the boots.
image-67234049.jpg
image-67190785.jpg

A1 and A2 are photos of the same blade. The drag pick has chrome finish which is odd (A1) and the tail end of the blade also looks like the corner has already been rounded off (A2)
image-67216129.jpg
image-67191041.jpg

B1 and B2 are of the other boot. See the thickness of the bottom part of the blade (the rough textured part). The inside and outside thickness is different where B2 side is visibly thinner.

We compared them to another set of Coronation Ace that we have on another boots, and the thickness is definitely thinner on these ones.

I am wondering if we bought a defect and wonder if it's returnable even after the sharpening.

I welcome anyone's input.

Thank you!

Elija

On the Ice
The a1 photo does look weird. To be clear, did they look like this before they were sharpened? I’m just wondering if the sharpener has messed them up rather than it being a defect.

SK4T3

Rinkside
Yeah; Picture A1 is very strange; I'm not familiar with the production process; but looks like the grinding after Chrome Finish in production went wrong.

(Please let me know if someone has a "How it's made" video of Figure Skating blades or a guided tour @ JW or MK)

Picture A2 is hard to judge because I see a small black 1mm sharpening at the end of the blade; but also reflection of something black on the side of the blades.

If Picture B1 and B2 are from the same blade --> That's strange; As we call (I'm not native English) "sharpening surface" should be equal on both sides.

Can you make pictures of the sharpening (hollow) itself?

Anyone familiar with a "Blade Edge Checker" for correct Sharpening? So you're sure it's not angled sharpened or torqued mounted?

blade-edge-checker.jpg

BearSkater

Spectator
The a1 photo does look weird. To be clear, did they look like this before they were sharpened? I’m just wondering if the sharpener has messed them up rather than it being a defect.
My understanding is that it was like this before the sharpening, but I'm not entirely sure. I mean, as far as A1 is concerned, I doubt chrome finish would suddenly appear after sharpening. It's more natural to think that the step to add the rough surface has missed that part.
Yeah; Picture A1 is very strange; I'm not familiar with the production process; but looks like the grinding after Chrome Finish in production went wrong.

(Please let me know if someone has a "How it's made" video of Figure Skating blades or a guided tour @ JW or MK)

Picture A2 is hard to judge because I see a small black 1mm sharpening at the end of the blade; but also reflection of something black on the side of the blades.

If Picture B1 and B2 are from the same blade --> That's strange; As we call (I'm not native English) "sharpening surface" should be equal on both sides.

Can you make pictures of the sharpening (hollow) itself?

Anyone familiar with a "Blade Edge Checker" for correct Sharpening? So you're sure it's not angled sharpened or torqued mounted?

blade-edge-checker.jpg

It's a bit hard to take a pic of the hollow. B1 and B2 are indeed from the same blade. We have another set of Coronation Ace, and these look much thinner even though these are newer and still only had done one sharening.

We will take them to the skate shop and see what they say.

Thank you guys!

Elija

On the Ice
My understanding is that it was like this before the sharpening, but I'm not entirely sure. I mean, as far as A1 is concerned, I doubt chrome finish would suddenly appear after sharpening. It's more natural to think that the step to add the rough surface has missed that part.

It's a bit hard to take a pic of the hollow. B1 and B2 are indeed from the same blade. We have another set of Coronation Ace, and these look much thinner even though these are newer and still only had done one sharening.

We will take them to the skate shop and see what they say.

Thank you guys!
Yes, the a1 photo is definitely strange. The other issues could possibly be a bad sharpening (I had blades severely butchered by a bad sharpening, making them completely uneven in the edges and from front to back), but could also of course be a defect. I’m also surprised the sharpener wouldn’t have noted the defects when they sharpened them, especially regarding the first photo. And yeah, good luck, hopefully the shop will sort it out.