How many times can you replace the blade on a boot | Golden Skate

How many times can you replace the blade on a boot

Tinner

Spectator
Not going to go into a long story with the details, but I had some problems with my Coronation Ace blades (manufacturing defect that JW were very helpful about resolving and that was covered under their warranty) that led to the blades having to be replaced with a new set of CAs. I'm still not happy with the replacement blades, so I'm thinking about switching them out for a different (lower level e.g. Mirage) blade that I feel may be more appropriate for my level. I just feel like the CAs are not "stable" enough for me if that makes sense, I'd like something with more contact with the ice.

The boots are still in great condition. My question is how many times can you replace a blade without compromising the integrity of the sole? Since most of the hole places have been used up by the first two sets of blades, is it possible to change blades again?

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Not going to go into a long story with the details, but I had some problems with my Coronation Ace blades (manufacturing defect that JW were very helpful about resolving and that was covered under their warranty) that led to the blades having to be replaced with a new set of CAs. I'm still not happy with the replacement blades, so I'm thinking about switching them out for a different (lower level e.g. Mirage) blade that I feel may be more appropriate for my level. I just feel like the CAs are not "stable" enough for me if that makes sense, I'd like something with more contact with the ice.

The boots are still in great condition. My question is how many times can you replace a blade without compromising the integrity of the sole? Since most of the hole places have been used up by the first two sets of blades, is it possible to change blades again?
Look at the protege blade. I will let @tstop4me and/or @High Carbon answer the rest. :)

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
As long as you fill the old holes with permanent plugs, you can mount blades over and over. The key word here is permanent. Many techs often fill an old hole by simply pounding a peg into it. This is simple, quick (can be done while the skater waits), and adequate for keeping water out of the hole. But if you drill in or near the peg, the peg will come loose, and you can't securely insert a new screw there. With a permanent plug, the old hole is drilled out to expose clean, fresh material; and a suitable adhesive is applied to permanently affix a peg or other filler. You can then drill in or near the peg or filler, and securely insert a new screw there. You will need to leave the boots at the shop and come back, since suitable adhesives will take at least several hours (some 24 hrs) to fully harden.

What boots do you have?

Tinner

Spectator
Excellent, thank you for the replies! I will definitely look into the Protege blades.
The boots are Jackson Debuts.

High Carbon

Skate technician
Rinkside
Country
United-States

Indeed you can keep swapping out blades! Like most things there is a point where the integrity of the sole is too far gone but you'll break down your skates before you switch enough blades out to compromise the sole so I wouldn't worry about that. If your switching out blades with similar plates then the holes usually line up. If your switching conventional JW to Rev or MK/JW to Matrix or to Ultima then the holes may not all line up and will essentially need a "new mounting". Often I find the front two holes to line up, thought it is not the case always, but it is possible. The holes left from old screws can allow moisture to accumulate within the sole so it's very important to always make sure to dry out your skates. In arid areas its very easy to do but if you are in a humid area it'll be important to keep them in a warm dry area when not on the ice. I'll often put tiny dowels in the holes (similar to toothpicks) that are cut to size to plug the hole. This can keep some small amount of moisture out, though not perfect so properly drying skates is still recommended. But it does allow a new screw to bight into a material instead of empty space if the blade alignment sits close enough to an old hole that it's likely to slip over and shift the blade.
Hope this helps! Just make sure you find a reputable technician that knows what they are doing :)