Current Innovators | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Current Innovators

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Um, no he doesn't? Evgenia has a beautiful one (in an I-spiral position, no less!) and Joshua's elegant skid spiral was a feature of his famous Schindler's List ChSq.

I said if not the only. And sorry, I'm not counting Evgenia's I position. I'm talking about traditional slide spirals.

Nothing against Josh, because I love his skating, but if you ask anyone about slide spirals in mens skating etc nowadays they always mention how gorgeous Jeremy's is.
If you don't like Jeremy then that's your problem, but you don't have to throw shade every chance you get. :rolleye: Last I checked this wasn't a sit around and debate thread, I mentioned Jeremy for his innovation of his own doing and that's all, so you can calm down now.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Is he really competing though. We've heard hints and how serious is he now that quads are the norm. There isn't room for clean triple programs especially with Jason Brown around. The artist that he appears to be he now has Brown and Rippon to deal with. he does seem to be fading or faded.

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
Based on his work with Savchenko/Massot and James/Cipres, John Kerr seems to be massively innovative in terms of choreography. His work is gorgeously complex and unconventional in theme for pairs skating. Sui/Han are massively lucky that Lori is pulling out all the stops in crafting them equally gorgeous and complex and unconventional programs. As much as I loved their 2015-2016 programs with Lori, they are completely outclassed by their 2017 programs.

I would agree with Savchenko & both her partners. First with Bruno because of this twist alone; I wish the rules weren't so strict so they could've kept it in. And with Robin because of their Pina program which really ruins any other programs with that music for me. The fact that they had actual dance choreography--not just transitions in and out of their elements--is pretty innovative not only for pairs but also for solo skaters. So often we get people lauding "choreography" usually meaning a spread eagle or hydroblading (which are indeed very nice), but hardly any actual dancing or upper body movement. It's almost Moskvina-esque and what she does/did for her teams.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Is he really competing though. We've heard hints and how serious is he now that quads are the norm. There isn't room for clean triple programs especially with Jason Brown around. The artist that he appears to be he now has Brown and Rippon to deal with. he does seem to be fading or faded.

as far as i know, he had a solid quad toe..
and to keep going, if someone does competitions like japan open, i think we can say that this skater is current right?

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I would agree with Savchenko & both her partners. First with Bruno because of this twist alone; I wish the rules weren't so strict so they could've kept it in. And with Robin because of their Pina program which really ruins any other programs with that music for me. The fact that they had actual dance choreography--not just transitions in and out of their elements--is pretty innovative not only for pairs but also for solo skaters. So often we get people lauding "choreography" usually meaning a spread eagle or hydroblading (which are indeed very nice), but hardly any actual dancing or upper body movement. It's almost Moskvina-esque and what she does/did for her teams.

oh lord...

so i watched the example about the twist... sure.. i agree.. the rules are tight but i can understand they want a landing to happen and there is no landing on the example you have given... but cool move ;) reminds me of the isu saying jumps need to be landed on one foot... and then surya does a one foot backflip :)

then i watched pina... and it killed bruno for me forever... sorry dude... robin.. you have all my love... and well aljona even landed her 3flip throw on one foot... so yeah... wow... gorgeous skating, edges from BOTH partners... miss you robin....

TerpsichoreFS

Marin Honda's skating skills
Final Flight
I wish! but no, Hanyu just keeps his free leg low, while Deniss actually has leg movement during his twizzles, they're absolutely divine, went so well with the music.

Not quite. Yuzu does his with much more open arms and a torso contraction then opens up with a torso release and arms into ballet 4th. Similar but completely different in effect.

you're right! I guess I wished hard enough my eyes deceived me. Well, they're still nice. Deniss' leg movement is really cool.

then i watched pina... and it killed bruno for me forever... sorry dude... robin.. you have all my love... and well aljona even landed her 3flip throw on one foot... so yeah... wow... gorgeous skating, edges from BOTH partners... miss you robin....

so one thread wasn't enough to bash Bruno, was it? And the point was about choreography.

macy

Record Breaker
Adelina Sotnikova's amazing extension on her Charlotte spiral. I've only seen her and Sasha Cohen perform it like this, the rest are not aesthetically pleasing.
https://youtu.be/0lJmcS20NDM?t=2m59s

Alissa czisny also had a beautiful charlotte spiral that I probably would rank with sasha's.

as far as innovators go, caroline's pearl spin comes to mind. I'm not sure if she performs it still, but I don't think I've seen anyone else really try it or perform it as beautifully as she did.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Alissa czisny also had a beautiful charlotte spiral that I probably would rank with sasha's.

as far as innovators go, caroline's pearl spin comes to mind. I'm not sure if she performs it still, but I don't think I've seen anyone else really try it or perform it as beautifully as she did.
Mirai Nagasu does the Pearl spin as well or better than Zhang.

Heleng

Medalist
Country
United-States
I think in pairs, the most interesting skaters, are I/M. Of course, they created all these gorgeous lifts with her flexibility, but two years in a row they brought some special transitions into their death spirals... i think they are trying to create new moves into their elements... D/M were very special that way....

Agree about Lubov/Dylan, but who are D/M?

Grin

Medalist
Which have all been around for years, so why would anyone speak about them in a thread about innovators? Not enough threads for you to complain about those things elsewhere?
But no one was using rippon/pantomime/backloading at the same time before. So, I suppose, that counts )

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
But no one was using rippon/pantomime/backloading at the same time before. So, I suppose, that counts )

Eteri certainly started pushing Zhenia to "innovate" the backloaded jump layout but I'm going to credit my homegurl Julia with showing Eteri the way. When she missed that 2a-3t-2t at Euro's and moved the combo jumps to the second half due to the mistake and scored a 209 (which used to be a big deal) I think a little light went off in Eteri's mind. They even tried to reproduce the backloading at WC in order to give her a shot at catching Mao. So...while Zhenia perfected the backloading I'm giving the "ah ha" moment to Julia :)

Sima was the original Tano spammer IMO and brought that to the group...I'm all for the tanos BTW :yes:

Zhenya can have the pantomime award although both her and Sima were all about doing that in Juniors under Eteri :)

ejnsofi

Final Flight
Eteri certainly started pushing Zhenia to "innovate" the backloaded jump layout but I'm going to credit my homegurl Julia with showing Eteri the way. When she missed that 2a-3t-2t at Euro's and moved the combo jumps to the second half due to the mistake and scored a 209 (which used to be a big deal) I think a little light went off in Eteri's mind. They even tried to reproduce the backloading at WC in order to give her a shot at catching Mao. So...while Zhenia perfected the backloading I'm giving the "ah ha" moment to Julia :)

I wouldn't credit it to Yulia. Eteri might be evil but she is smart when it comes to COP. I bet with every new choreography she makes Version B and Version C in case something goes wrong and it was this case. It would be the same as saying that Yuzuru Hanyu was innovative with changing layout during the program after making a mistake or skipping the combo

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My post was intended as lighthearted humor and in no way to be taken as absolute fact. Just some off season humor y'all :party: