Czisny: FB Post and Hip surgery | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Czisny: FB Post and Hip surgery

Headline from IN:

"Czisny to undergo surgery for torn labrum in hip
Two-time U.S. champion requests, and receives, only one Grand Prix assignment: NHK Trophy"

Holy hat, no wonder she couldn't jump. And no wonder she was distraught about it. It must have been like trying to fly without wings.

Blue Dog, that's so great that you posted SF's lovely message where Alissa could see it. I'm sure it will make a difference to her.

verte76

On the Ice
So she is injured? She is having surgery for a torn muscle? I'm a little confused about this injury!:confused::confused::confused:

So she has a hip injury?

Last edited by a moderator:

mskater93

Record Breaker
So she is injured? She is having surgery for a torn muscle? I'm a little confused about this injury!:confused::confused::confused:
Yes, she tore her labrum (in her hip) which supposedly just started hurting while she was in Korea. It's something that happens gradually but doesn't hurt until it's really bad.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Aw.... it explains everything!
Get well Alissa... Must Recuperate Intelligently. Plenty of rest and come back at your own time and pace.

ice coverage

Record Breaker

FYI, the labrum is not a muscle. It's part of the hip joint.

"The labrum is a semilunar (crescent-shaped) cartilage structure that runs along the rim of the hip socket that provides an added cushion and stability to the hip joint. Labral tears can be caused by a sudden, specific injury or with repetitive motions that cause 'wear and tear.' Patients have pain deep in the groin on the side of the involved hip. This may be accompanied by a clicking or locking sensation in the hip."
Source: Hospital for Special Surgery

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This is the same injury that Michelle Kwan had when she withdrew from the 2006 Olympics. It is extremely painful. That being the case, Alissa had to have been in quite a bit of pain all season, ever since the GPF, and the pain had to have worsened by Challenge Cup / Worlds.

Alissa had to have realized at Challenge Cup that she was hurting and that made landing jumps very difficult, so there is no way that she should have continued on to Worlds. But she did, and skated even worse there. That she said she didn't know why she skated so poorly was probably motivated by fear of being fined by USFS, as Rachael had been in 2011.

But now we know. I'm sorry that Alissa has a serious injury, but I'm also disappointed that she didn't have the guts to do the right thing and withdraw.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I'm sorry that Alissa has a serious injury, but I'm also disappointed that she didn't have the guts to do the right thing and withdraw.

Pretty much sums up how I feel about all this in a single sentence.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
To show her you're thinking of her positively, I made a screenshot of your post, and posted it on her FB.

Ah thank you. I hope it helps boost her morale and courage. However, I don't see your post on her FB page, or do I need to log in?

...I'm also disappointed that she didn't have the guts to do the right thing and withdraw.

Pretty much sums up how I feel about all this in a single sentence.

Oh, please. Are you men or mice? Both of you would have had the "guts" to suck it up, win one for the Gipper, charge into the valley of death, cannon to the left and cannon to the right -- just like Alissa. :yes:

Last edited:

guanchi

On the Ice
Wonder if her injury is jump or spin related.
Alissa is a mediocre jumper but her spins are fantastic- which puts greater stress on that area?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Michelle Kwan had the same injury, and I can recall that over the years, she gradually left the loop jump out of her repertoire, probably because the twisting movement of the hips caused her too much discomfort. Alissa was landing the loop at the beginning of the season and at Nationals, but URd and/or fell on loops at the GPF, the Challenge Cup, and Worlds.

I recall that in the months leading up to the 2006 Olympics, Michelle struggled with her layback spin because of the pain. So perhaps Alissa's more elaborate spins did put even more stress on a damaged hip.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I have a feeling she will be bowing out maybe before nationals. I see a nice show career left if she wants it. Good luck with surgery, Alissa. Maybe she was confused. Skaters by 24 have a lot of pain. Maybe pushing flexibility is not the direction the female skaters should choose. It is beautiful to see the balletic lines skaters like Sasha, Mao and Alissa achieve but the price is too high. I am very empathetic to people suffering awful pain, and I can only say, maybe Sasha with her natural flexibility has pushed our expectations to a level where people are injuring themselves in skating with the demands for perfection in jumps, spins, spirals. Were there so many injuries in the days of Peggy, Doro, Linda Fratianne, Janet Lynn? Everyone seems to end up injured with all kinds of issues.

I think so much is expected of these ladies/girls...it makes few suceed as we define it MK and Sasha set the bar so high. Yuna and Mao set more bars...

I think we only have certain facts about Alissa. Let's not decide just yet she lacks morals, courage etc. We don't have facts but speculation. I wrote a support thread after CC but felt she should retire after worlds regardless of what went wrong=phsically mentally or both, but I agree with MM that people shouldn't call her Shady. She has pressures...herself, her coaches, USFS, her fans. Maybe it's very hard knowing what to do when you have pain, but not sure the etiology or if it is permanent. We are mostly fans here of AC as she has been around a long time, and she has smitten us with her beauty and some truly beautiful skating mpments. Alissa is special for many reasons, and she may be done. So let's respect all she has struggled to give to us her fans when she is by nature a girl who loves to skate but has fought her comp. nerves all her life. I think I would give AC the benefit of the doubt when she doesn't have all the facts herself. Pushing through pain is how top athletes and many of us live.

Everyone loves a winner and a lucky person, and if you fall, the world quickly turns on you. I think Alissa reads these boards and she may be using twitter to slowly let people know why she ended her season sobadly, and maybe she is told by her coaches what to do. So I don't think RFlatt deserved the words she got ( wasn't reading myself) that were so negative. And people should give Alissa a break.What would you do? Most would likely choose her choices given the fines. She is a timid person who likely overthinks everything and I think she is following what her coaches advise. Elite skating is a game and she did what her and her team felt best. Hey, she's not some wall street criminal that deserves verbal beating and incarceration.

When the chips fall and her career is mostly over, I am in her corner. She has given us her best. It is hardly of much consequence-it's not skategate or close.

Last edited:
I agree. We don't know enough to criticize her--or Rachael. I continue to respect them both for their efforts as skaters and the way in which they represented their country and skating itself.

Let's see how Alissa recuperates, and then we'll know whether she chooses to continue in competition, go pro, or retire. I support her whatever she decides (and hope that she continues skating in some venue or other).

deedee1

Record Breaker
I think we only have certain facts about Alissa. Let's not decide just yet she lacks morals, courage etc. We don't have facts but speculation. I wrote a support thread after CC but felt she should retire after worlds regardless of what went wrong=phsically mentally or both, but I agree with MM that people shouldn't call her Shady. She has pressures...herself, her coaches, USFS, her fans. Maybe it's very hard knowing what to do when you have pain, but not sure the etiology or if it is permanent. We are mostly fans here of AC as she has been around a long time, and she has smitten us with her beauty and some truly beautiful skating mpments. Alissa is special for many reasons, and she may be done. So let's respect all she has struggled to give to us her fans when she is by nature a girl who loves to skate but has fought her comp. nerves all her life. I think I would give AC the benefit of the doubt when she doesn't have all the facts herself. Pushing through pain is how top athletes and many of us live.

Everyone loves a winner and a lucky person, and if you fall, the world quickly turns on you. I think Alissa reads these boards and she may be using twitter to slowly let people know why she ended her season sobadly, and maybe she is told by her coaches what to do. So I don't think RFlatt deserved the words she got ( wasn't reading myself) that were so negative. And people should give Alissa a break.What would you do? Most would likely choose her choices given the fines. She is a timid person who likely overthinks everything and I think she is following what her coaches advise. Elite skating is a game and she did what her and her team felt best. Hey, she's not some wall street criminal that deserves verbal beating and incarceration.

When the chips fall and her career is mostly over, I am in her corner. She has given us her best. It is hardly of much consequence-it's not skategate or close.

:thumbsup:

Reading the first part of your post, I much worry about female skaters...do we really want to see the skater hitting the biellman position at the cost of her potential injury? Of course not.

Last edited:

Pepe Nero

On the Ice
I'm relieved in a way to know that AC was suffering this injury. There had to be some special explanation as to why she struggled at the Challenge Cup and Worlds. I never bought into "the old Alissa is back" hypothesis.

Part of the reason news of this injury is a relief (for me and perhaps other fans of AC, anyway) is that the cause of the late season struggle for AC could have been something much worse. It didn't occur to me that one could experience an inhibiting injury that one would not be aware of (due to pain), and it was hard for me to believe that she would conceal an injury just to compete at Worlds. My paranoid mind had thought of all kinds of worse explanations as to why AC struggled so much in the last third of the season.

I am looking forward to next season -- a recuperated Alissa preparing for Nationals at the NHK Trophy. Where did I read that she was planning to choreograph a new LP with Zoueva before learning of the injury? I hope that happens regardless -- it will be spectacular.

macy

Record Breaker
^i read that on IN. that truly will be magnificent.

gosh i hope she gets through this okay and that she keeps her head up. and that she doesn't rush back into it like i think she might. but i hope to God the injury isn't caused by her spins. i'm thinking the biellman might have done it since she does such a beautiful one, but if she is told not to do the spins we've seen anymore i will be truly heartbroken.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Honestly, I think this is it for her competitive career. Hip surgery- that's big stuff right there.

She's managed to stay injury-free for many years, but obviously the mileage quickly caught up to her this season.

periperi

On the Ice
Man, I hope Alissa can recover from this well.

Isn't this type of injury more likely to be caused due to the twisting nature of figure skating jumping (not spinning)? I'm more concerned about her jumps honestly. Alissa still has things to improve on when it comes to her technique, and she gets so little height on her jumps that with this magnitude of an injury along with aging.... I don't know.

I hope she can recuperate in time for Nationals, at least. If she's going to get her LP choreographed by Zueva, I'll definitely be looking forward to it. Stay strong, Alissa!