Daisuke Murakami Announces Retirement | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Daisuke Murakami Announces Retirement

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Thank you to Dice for sharing his beautiful skating! I'll always appreciate the heart he put into his programs. Wishing him a successful and happy future!

Judging from what I've seen happen in the past, Dice's retirement in itself will likely have no affect on the level of funding granted by JSF for the upcoming season. There could however, be updates to the original list after test skates and JGP/GP assignments are decided. I'd assume the skater you mention could possibly be moved up to "A" providing he tests well enough and continues to demonstrate the determination to progress that he's shown over the past season. :)

Thanks for replying! I've no idea when the test skates are, but since it's Sota I was talking about I'm positive there won't be any GPs for him. Not this season, not even if he was really moved into A to the place that Daisuke vacated. Not unless he has a 3A and a quad, which I very much hope he won't risk as of yet. I'd rather he stay in B if A funding means getting a 3A ASAP...
OK, sorry about getting off-topic. :slink:

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
Best wishes to Dice in the future! It's lovely to see how much thought and kind words went into the message to his fans.

livetoskate

On the Ice
Sad, I will miss him, and where does the time go? I remember talking to him soon after he won novice men's in the USA, and watching him at US nationals. So much talent, and it's too bad that Japan became so competitive during Dice's career. I was hoping he'd stay in a little longer now that Takahito Mura retired. I wish Dice the best in his future endeavors!

yude

Record Breaker
Thank you for announcing by your own words, Daisuke. It must have meant a lot to your fans, and of course to us. I hope we'll keep hearing from you in future. Otsukaresamadeshita, and good luck :cheer:

rnois13

On the Ice
Thank you for your translation, I wish him more wonderful years ahead. I'm glad he still plans to work within the skating community.

livetoskate

On the Ice
el Henry, thanks for the story about the Philly competition. There were years where Dice could have medalled at or even won US nationals. This is such a tough sport and so many talented skaters don't make it to worlds or the Olympics. He seems so emotional that I hope he doesn't feel depressed. Hope he can continue in the skating world or have success in another arena.

Also, thank you, Interspectator, for your translation!

livetoskate

On the Ice
one more thing, I am glad to read that Dice already has a college degree in business, from a university in Japan. Wow, that's impressive that he balanced that with competitive skating, and he lived in the US for most of his life.

cinnamon

On the Ice
What was the reason he gave? He was almost crying, my god... How sad.

Strong young skaters are coming up in all over the world. When he thinks about running another four years, he doesn't see any chance to win as a 27 years old.

livetoskate

On the Ice
Dice uploaded another video yesterday. I'm not sure what he says (it's all in Japanese), but it looks like from comments he's discussing personal problems and eating disorders.

https://youtu.be/sbjITjFqL6s

He has another video up today with encouraging words from Miki Ando. He seems down on himself. I'm glad he is surrounded by his Toronto friends and relaxing. It must be so hard to suddenly wake up and no longer have to go to the rink anymore.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Dice uploaded another video yesterday. I'm not sure what he says (it's all in Japanese), but it looks like from comments he's discussing personal problems and eating disorders.

https://youtu.be/sbjITjFqL6s

He has another video up today with encouraging words from Miki Ando. He seems down on himself. I'm glad he is surrounded by his Toronto friends and relaxing. It must be so hard to suddenly wake up and no longer have to go to the rink anymore.

I read this and agree it seems he is saying he had bulimia? I echo your request here and elsewhere, if some kind soul can translate, or even just give a synopsis? Poor Dice, if true!:sad4:

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
I read this and agree it seems he is saying he had bulimia? I echo your request here and elsewhere, if some kind soul can translate, or even just give a synopsis? Poor Dice, if true!:sad4:

I haven't watched all of it, but it sounds like he had bulimia or certainly binged after extreme dieting in an attempt to lose weight ("some days I only drank coffee" to stop myself feeling hungry"). He was 17, away from home for the first time living in New York and very lost. He was training with a Russian coach, who put pressure on him to be as slim as possible.

Poor Dice. I hope he can find peace within himself, and come to recognize that although he may not have made it to the Olympics, he achieved far more than most people can even dream of.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I haven't watched all of it, but it sounds like he had bulimia or certainly binged after extreme dieting in an attempt to lose weight ("some days I only drank coffee" to stop myself feeling hungry"). He was 17, away from home for the first time living in New York and very lost. He was training with a Russian coach, who put pressure on him to be as slim as possible.

Poor Dice. I hope he can find peace within himself, and come to recognize that although he may not have made it to the Olympics, he achieved far more than most people can even dream of.

Thank you for the translation.

How awful for Dice.:( He was a lovely skater and has so much of which to be proud. And also a reminder that in this sport, not only women are subject to the extreme and harmful pressure regarding weight:disapp:

sunn1ly

On the Ice
Daisuke is wonderful athlete. It must be very hard for him to finish his career now going back and seeing all he has gone through and the sacrifices he has made. I hope he knows how much he is appreciated and even thought he never achieved all his goals, the road he took and the immense joy he has brought us are far more precious and worth than those competitions and titles. We love you and support you and wish you the best in your next steps. Also thanks a lot for sharing your thoughts your experiences and being honest with us. Good luck and thanks for everything. :)

livetoskate

On the Ice
Daisuke is wonderful athlete. It must be very hard for him to finish his career now going back and seeing all he has gone through and the sacrifices he has made. I hope he knows how much he is appreciated and even thought he never achieved all his goals, the road he took and the immense joy he has brought us are far more precious and worth than those competitions and titles. We love you and support you and wish you the best in your next steps. Also thanks a lot for sharing your thoughts your experiences and being honest with us. Good luck and thanks for everything. :)

I told Dice about your kind words, as well as the comments by el henry and another big fan. He responds, "oh my goodness! i have never seen this!!! thank you so much!!!! you made my day please tell everyone that i appreciate their kind words and really means a lot to me reading them!!!❤❤❤" It's really nice that he takes the time to actually respond to his fans and comments on his youtube videos.