Daisuke Takahashi | Page 116 | Golden Skate

Daisuke Takahashi

ioanna

Record Breaker
While Dai's retirement itself was not unexpected, I have to say his sudden decision still startled me because I thought he would be waiting for a year before making up his mind. It seems like he came to this conclusion a month ago and the main reason for his departure from competitive skating is his lack of motivation rather than injuries.

But as I've been reading his statements it seems like he did not expect the kind of attention he got and wished for a much smaller press conference. He actually thought his retirement would go unnoticed and this confused and stunned me. Nothing has changed; he still has no idea what to do or which path to take. He decided to retire because he felt uneasy about taking a break for a whole year - I don't really understand why. I feel like he rushed into making a choice without actually being certain of it. He still talks of an eventual comeback but he thinks now it would be hard because the whole press picked up the retirement news and everyone is making a big fuss out of it. This just shows he's still underestimating his status and achievements.

I would have wanted Dai to retire without regrets and I wish he could have been able to look back and say "I am satisfied and do not wish to come back in competition again". This is not the case right now, so I truly wish he will be able to find a new dream and pursue it without any second thoughts.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I watched the news clip Smasma posted. While my information is certainly far from complete, and likely poorer than many people's, I noticed how Dai didn't completely go the whole "I've accomplished everything I wanted/there are other things I want to do now" route. I mean, he did talk about future projects, ect... But when he was explicitly asked why he was retiring, he implied it would be difficult to keep up with the technical demands. Now, I'm not saying this is the only--or even main--reason why he retired, but I have to wonder if it played a part... (As a side note, I commend Dai for not just being 100% fake-happy-positive).

From an outsider's perspective, he had a good run and there's nothing to regret. But who knows how Dai feels... I know many would say Dai made a smart choice by not exposing himself to further injury. That's well and good... I just hope Dai feels that he's done all he wanted to, rather than feeling like injuries/age/demands of the sport pushed him into retirement.

ioanna

Record Breaker
I watched the news clip Smasma posted. While my information is certainly far from complete, and likely poorer than many people's, I noticed how Dai didn't completely go the whole "I've accomplished everything I wanted/there are other things I want to do now" route. I mean, he did talk about future projects, ect... But when he was explicitly asked why he was retiring, he implied it would be difficult to keep up with the technical demands. Now, I'm not saying this is the only--or even main--reason why he retired, but I have to wonder if it played a part... (As a side note, I commend Dai for not just being 100% fake-happy-positive).

From an outsider's perspective, he had a good run and there's nothing to regret. But who knows how Dai feels... I know many would say Dai made a smart choice by not exposing himself to further injury. That's well and good... I just hope Dai feels that he's done all he wanted to, rather than feeling like injuries/age/demands of the sport pushed him into retirement.
You're right, he does not feel like he has accomplished everything and even mentioned he has regrets. He wanted to skate at Worlds in Saitama and he wanted to retire there but that didn't happen and he was left with a feeling of dissatisfaction. He also doesn't know what to do from now on. He thinks retirement may help him clear up his mind and set new goals so it was more like something he needed to get off his chest rather than a definite decision. He is still not at peace with himself so I can only hope he will find happiness in this brand new stage of his life.

ayarose

On the Ice
While Dai's retirement itself was not unexpected, I have to say his sudden decision still startled me because I thought he would be waiting for a year before making up his mind. It seems like he came to this conclusion a month ago and the main reason for his departure from competitive skating is his lack of motivation rather than injuries.

But as I've been reading his statements it seems like he did not expect the kind of attention he got and wished for a much smaller press conference. He actually thought his retirement would go unnoticed and this confused and stunned me. Nothing has changed; he still has no idea what to do or which path to take. He decided to retire because he felt uneasy about taking a break for a whole year - I don't really understand why. I feel like he rushed into making a choice without actually being certain of it. He still talks of an eventual comeback but he thinks now it would be hard because the whole press picked up the retirement news and everyone is making a big fuss out of it. This just shows he's still underestimating his status and achievements.

I would have wanted Dai to retire without regrets and I wish he could have been able to look back and say "I am satisfied and do not wish to come back in competition again". This is not the case right now, so I truly wish he will be able to find a new dream and pursue it without any second thoughts.

I feel you although I don't think "lack of motivation" is the right word. From what I can gather from his interviews, Dai has plenty of motivation but his sense of direction has always been a bit unclear and has a great propensity to depreciate himself. I understand that he was stuck in a ditch on what to do but I wish he took more time to find himself. But what's done is done and all we could do is just to pray that he might be able to find an answer for himself.

ioanna

Record Breaker
Dai wrote a message on his official blog on the Kansai University website.
http://www.kansai-u.ac.jp/sports/message/takahashi/index.html
Based on what Google Translate is giving me, he is talking about his retirement.

And here's a rough translation based on what I've read on twitter and my own interpretation

As you may know, I have announced my retirement from competition. I apologize for only informing you on my website now.

When I started skating I never imagined I would represent Japan in the Grand Prix Series, World Championships and Olympics. Thanks to the encouragement I got from everyone I managed to fulfill my dreams and win Worlds and an Olympic bronze medal. 20 years have passed since I started skating and I've had many wonderful opportunities and I was able to compete for a very long time.

To my fans, my skating life has been full of ups and downs like a roller coaster so I thank them from the bottom of my heart for supporting me.

According to the ISU rules, it seems like I can only make a comeback in competition once, and I'm still interested and have regrets regarding my departure but I feel like this is a good time to stop. I still don't know where this decision is going to lead me, don't know what to do in the future and I feel a little anxious but that's just me. I'm looking forward to my new life and can't wait to get a sense of fulfillment out of new goals.

I will be happy if you keep watching over me and I'll see you all soon!

deedee1

Record Breaker
I must admit it's been very rude of me to take so much time to reply. But let me allow to say it now: 'my sincere thank-you' to demarinis, golden and all the others who did extend very caring words to me here and at other threads. It's not easy, but by believing my dad does not want me to forever be sad, I am regaining my usual-self little by little. Visiting Golden Skate Forum during my free time also helps me.

A translation of the lecture Utako Nagamitsu sensei held in Tokyo on September 4th.

Many thanks to the translator Twind and Daisuke Takahashi Road To Sochi for sharing.

G: What is your thought looking back Sochi Olympics?
N: Oh, my, ... I still can’t see the videos of Nationals and Sochi. Well, uh..that’s the only thing I can say. They are probably the phases necessary to him.

Thanks as always for all updates, ioanap. But Utako-sensei's above comment on Nats & Sochi just breaks my heart;;;;; I saw his Nats performances live myself (and Sochi ones on TV), technically those performances might be filled with jump mistakes, but Daisuke was very beautiful I thought.

We know that skaters usually skate same programs for a number of times in a season. I may be a bit biased or too much obsessed but when it comes to Daisuke, every single one of his performances does give me a different impression, or even look to me a 'complete different program' sometimes (His 2011-12 SP at SC http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YbmcD6IPq0 and at NHK http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsUplazBWp0 is the best example: at SC he skated it as angular, dynamic ethnic dance, say, Balinese dance, but the way he skated it at NHK was something 'unhuman'), though of course he skates same programs to the same music, like other skaters. His well-known artistry, superior skating skills and/or fabulous performance ability aside, that's probably the biggest reaosn why I've been so addicted to his skating. His performance to me is always as if '一期一会' in Japanese; (in English how can we say, once-in-a-lifetime-opportunity?), so that makes me always tell myself while watching it: 'you never ever miss anything, never ever forget anything, okay?'. And a bit strange to say but I tend to love Dai's performances when he had several mistakes, because I think I can see Dai himself more in them. Especially at the Nationals where he often showed more emotions, his inner emotions. Well, when he had to skate while injured it saddened me a lot as his fan of course, but for instance these two are my favorite ones among his Nats performances.

-Rachmaninov LP at Nats 2005-06: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_534KiZ4GP4 He missed the second 3A into 1A, but he skated beautifully throughout and the last Straight Step sq was so powerful. I can see how desperately he wanted the sole ticket to Torino. Dai and Utako-sensei (we can see her cosoling hand to his shoulder) from 9:58 breaks my heart, though.

-Piazzolla LP at Nats 2010-11: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-k_jL4eBPU We all know Dai competed there while in terrible pains in the neck and upper back, due to the collision during GPFinal that season. He placed 4th in SP after Taka, Yuzu and Nobu, and he had to move up to 3rd overall in order to go to the Worlds (originally scheduled in Tokyo, where he probably would have planned/wanted to retire from competitive career in front of his home crowd and say a goodbye to them, but then of course it had to be postponed to April at Moscow...) His LP skate was like '窮鼠、猫を咬む' in Japanese ('a cornered mouse will attack the cat'). This do-it-or-die-like LP totally grabbed my soul.

His Rachmaninov LP at Torino Olympics is also I love. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yMxXxaSqHU It typically reflects purity and fragility of his skating and his inner self. So beautiful. The way he looks at Utako sensei around 6:30 is makes my heart twinged every time I see it though, as if I were his auntie, you know.

A couple of days since his retirement announcement. My feelings have been out of my hand still, like a 5-way-crossroads...sigh.

Shock first. Of course. And emptiness, naturally. That we won't be able to see Daisuke and his programs at competitions anymore. Then relief. That he does not have to push himself anymore to intensive training to risk further injuries. But sadness. That Dai did not have one last opportunity to skate in front of his fans to say goodbye. Only gratefulness, in the end. I'm only and tremendously grateful to Dai for having competed for many years. For showing us so many fabulous performances full of his heart and passion. 4 years of time after Vancouver he continued competing is simply a sweetest gift from Daiske to all skating fans in the world. And for creating such versatile, demensional and innovative programs that only he can paint on ice with his whole body and blades work, while coping with ever-changing CoP rules and inconsistent/capricious ISU's preference. No one can make music come alive like the way he does. For saving ice rinks in Osaka and Kurashiki, that once faced close-down, by organizing numerous fund-raising charity shows for the sake of younger skaters. For being a front runner, along with Nobunari, of Japanese Mens figure skating for many years, to promote the sport and rise its popularity among people and medias in our country by saying in a loud voice time and time again that Men figure skating is also interesting and more exciting to watch. When the reality was most people believed figure skating is a sport for girls only back in the days...My list of thanking to Daisuke and his contribution to the sport can be on and on. Let alone all his glorious achievements in result-wise.

At the end of press conference on his retirement at Kurashiki on Oct 14th, Dai also expressed his gratitude to all the media people there for their covering stories on the sport and on himself for many years. And there was a huge heartfelt claps from all those media people, it says: https://twitter.com/mainichi_haga/status/522040886364872706
たくさんのリツイートありがとうございました。
15日付の朝刊は東京、大阪、中部の各本社発行版でカラー紙面をお届けできる見通しです。
ぜひお手に取ってご覧ください。
余談ですが、記者会見では、私たちメディアにも高橋大輔選手から謝辞がありました。
思い切り拍手をしたのは言うまでもありません。

This alone explains how sweet Dai is as a person. He may not be one of the strongest competitiors, but he sure is one of the most beloved ones by many of those concerned with the sport; skaters, judges, coaches, fans and media. Daisuke will be missed a lot by everyone who ever got acquainted with/to know him, both on and off ice, at one point during his long competitive skating career. Who deos not love this guy?

My best memory of Daisuke from competitions I attended is probably this one: from around 7:30 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrSUreowZ5U, thanks to all participating skaters that night. :yes:

Let me copy some quote from my small report on WTT 2012, in case if it's unclear what I'm talking about:

Mens LP <6>

Then came my main dish of the night, finally.

Room temperature has risen up another 3.C!
Everyone was so excited already, even before he got started. I guess Dai must have pressured out that the audience expected him to go perfect, and he kind of realized beforehand he could not miss anything. :laugh:

After Dai managed to land the opening 4T somehow, he was happily flying over the ice for the rest of the program. No one doubted he would go clean.
Well 4T looked borderline even from the upper deck, yes I agree, but who cares at this comp?, why, to some fans and skaters it's a joke to begin with. :biggrin:

The audience, skaters, coaches, officials, medias, backyard staff...almost everyone at the arena got into their feet with thunderous applause, flowers and stuffed aminals poured into the rink from everywhere, from the upper deck where I was, it was like big fireworks exploded. :party2:

At first, I did not realize from where that big sounds, bang bang, came.
What a nice surprise for the audience to realize these bang bang were from other countries' skaters as if demanding for a good score.
I cared the least myself what score he was gonna get, after seeing Dai's such happy smiles. But, to be appluaded by fellow skaters, who themselves are the top skaters in the world, what a nicest compliment to Daisuke!, I thought to myself. I was just happy for him for that, and my eyes got watery.

That was probably the best moment for me, because of this scene.

https://twitter.com/#!/valemarchei14...820096/photo/1

And when the score came up finally, it was like the entire arena became one, appreciated for many great performances from the world's top pair skaters, ice dancers, and male skaters and celebrated the great feast of figure skating together. :clap:

ioanna

Record Breaker
deedee1, thank you for taking your time to visit GS and sharing your thoughts with us. I think a lot of people still harbored a small hope for Dai to come back (even Utako sensei if I understood her words correctly), no matter how impossible this may seem at this moment. His sudden decision was both unexpected and shocking. While he does leave an open door for an eventual return, I sincerely hope this closure will help him start a new chapter in his life, no matter how much his absence will pain me. He promised to keep skating in ice shows for his fans and I'm feeling grateful for that.

While he is my all time favorite skater and I'm fairly sure nothing's going to change that at least in the near future, I have never seen him skate live no matter how much I wanted to. But I probably feel as blessed as everyone who did meet him, just for having the opportunity to see him skate live on my tv, and just for being able to experience the thrill of the competitions in real time - he is that special. To me, just knowing him has been a privilege.

On a lighter note, I found this lovely fanart on twitter made by this user. It shows Daisuke surrounded by his team mates (Nobunari, Takahiko, Yuzuru and Tatsuki) and it's a very accurate representation of how much he is loved.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B0S1SweCcAIinqD.jpg:large

Interspectator

Record Breaker
On a lighter note, I found this lovely fanart on twitter made by this user. It shows Daisuke surrounded by his team mates (Nobunari, Takahiko, Yuzuru and Tatsuki) and it's a very accurate representation of how much he is loved.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B0S1SweCcAIinqD.jpg:large

That's so cute and beautiful! He is indeed loved. I would like Daisuke to do some shows internationally so the rest of the world can continue to enjoy his skating.

Last edited:

cdngirl

On the Ice
Thank you for your wonderful post, Deedee, and I hope you are doing well. As for me, I have no words but have enjoyed reading everyone else's heartfelt posts so thank you all for not only your thoughts but providing links. My heart is breaking that Daisuke has officially retired and I cannot even compose a well thought out post to convey what I'm feeling. For now all I can do is thank him for everything and that seems so minimal compared to all that he has done for us. So thank you for the joy you've brought to so many, Daisuke, and I know you will continue to shine brightly in the future just as you always have. You are a hero, legend and brilliant star that will always have a place in my heart. Please know that your fans will always remain loyal to you, no matter what it is you choose to do, because for some reason you bring out the best in us.