Dance - Original - COC TV | Golden Skate

Dance - Original - COC TV

I wish the Non Hispanic dancers would check out how the latino men and ladies dance. It's the lower part of the torso. Flailing arms are not in latin dances. Shaking the hips is subtle and only with the music. Not hollywood style. The music is downbeat. It is not a waltz or polka upbeat.

But I don't think the judges really care about that anyway.

Joe

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
I thought Navka's costume looked like peacock/leapord roadkill.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Latin dancing and Latin ballroom dancing are two different creatures. There's a limit to what skaters can do with their hips and still remain on their edges. I wish that the broadcast had shown the first half of Chait/Sakhnovski's program. He did an excellent chacha.

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
I thought Navka's costume looked like peacock/leapord roadkill.:laugh: And why does she always wear a headband?

hockeyfan228 said:
Latin dancing and Latin ballroom dancing are two different creatures. There's a limit to what skaters can do with their hips and still remain on their edges. I wish that the broadcast had shown the first half of Chait/Sakhnovski's program. He did an excellent chacha.
I totally agree, but if you saw Silverstein and Omeara, you would notice they came closest to a skating latin dance.
My objection is basically the beat is not upbeat with so called passion but downbeat with so called sexy.

I can believe Sakhnovski's cha cha would be very good because he is a sincere skate dancer. They are really looking good this year and I dig their hair colorings.

Joe

equestrianguy

On the Ice
Navka's costume looked like peacock/leapard roadkill!!!!! LOL That is WAY funny.. Maybe she had the bird flu..

Also, did you see Galit Chait's costume of the ISR team. She must have bought Bjork's swan dress that she wore to the Oscars.. lol

Linny

Final Flight
Feathers

Interesting that both of Zulan's female ice dancers are wearing feathers. Perhaps he owns stock in a feather company?
Linny

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
but if you saw Silverstein and Omeara, you would notice they came closest to a skating latin dance.
I didn't get to see their OD, just the download of their FD. He struck me as a little subdued, the few seconds I watched him, which wasn't often, since I found her completely riveting in the tango. I'd be a little worried being lifted by a guy moving his hips at all during that trick. I think dancers on the whole do better with tangos than the options in the Latin combo: Cha Cha, Rhumba, Samba, and no more than one of Merengue, Salsa, and Mambo. Although I really like some of the slower straightline footwork with twizzles to Cha Chas this year.

Hockeyfan - Tango is not a latin dance. It comes from the Spanish dance, Beguine, and was enjoyed by the whole of Europe. It later transcended into the Tango. The Italians who went to Argentina (by no means a latin American state) and worked the pampas brought the tango with them and it developed into the Argnetine tango.

Latin dancers are the cha cha, mambo, merengue (Caribbean) Samba (Brazil).

Hip swinging is part of the 'passion' of latin dance; lifts are not. I think if skaters to fulfil their score card of points should be able to work that out without fear.

Joe