Dancing With The Stars - Anyone Watching??? | Golden Skate

Dancing With The Stars - Anyone Watching???

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I thought the show was pretty entertaining. Ricki did a super great job and so did J.R. Martinez. I think Chaz will do good once he gets into it.

Maks & his brother....what are they trying to do to my heart??? :laugh: :laugh:

Your thoughts??

Johar

Medalist
I am rooting for Maks and Hope all the way, cuz I want my boy to finally win!

I'd love to see Maks win, too. I'm so glad Derek is back, also. I hope he and Ricki have a chance to stay around for awhile. The two who impressed me the most were Chynna Phillips and J.R. Martinez. She is (so far, at any rate0 elegant as all get-out, and he has charisma to spare. I'm a bit tired of wall-to-wall Kardashians, but if they want to make a career of marketing themselves, who am I to stand in their way.

heyang

Record Breaker
As a fan of the now defunct All My Children, I was most looking forward to JR Martinez and he did not disappoint. As an inexperienced actor, he has held his own against some truly strong actors due to his charisma. Also, soap fans are nothing, if not loyal and everyone loves 'Brot'; so, I would think that' he's going to go 'far' on DWTS.

I thought David Arquette did a nice job, too.

I think some stars are at a disadvantage with the new pros who dont' have a fan base.

Overall, all of the contestants seem to want to be there and learn and have fun. I though Nancy Grace would be on the bottom. I would've put her at the bottom before Ron.

Rob Kardashian did fine, but I guess he doesn't have the fan base either.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Nancy Grace is one of the most annoying tv personalities of all time. That she doesn't seem to understand how the judging works - or why she was on the bottom - is all she can talk about. I am already sick of DwtS talk just because they keep interviewing her and she won't shut up about how wrong the fans of the show are... IUGH!

silverpond

On the Ice
I watched Dancing With the Stars for several seasons, but haven't had the time to watch it this year. Really enjoyed watching Kristi Yamaguchi win the title a few years ago. You go, girl!!

Without being prudish, I kind of wish the women would wear costumes that, well, did not look as though they could pop open (aka "wardrobe malfunction) while they were dancing. Yikes.

Just my two cents, of course. :biggrin:

heyang

Record Breaker
I knew JR's story before I watched and I cried like a baby from the rehearsal through the post interview. The guy's attitude is truly inspirational. Between soap fans, military families and his own personality and because he can dance, I'd be stunned if he wasn't in the finals.

jcoates

Medalist
Heh heh...I can't believe someone thought it was a good idea to have a light saber fight as part of the pro routine. At least all the guys for shirtless. :)

Yeah, I have high hopes for JR. He is so charismatic! He's living proof that looks and sheer electricity don't necessarily have to go together. The fact that he's a good dancer really makes me hopeful for him to be in the finals and maybe win. If he were just there on sentiment, I'd feel a little less eager to see him win, but he's the total package.

The other one I want to see in the finals is Ricki. It isn't just her. Derek Hough is one of the best choreographers on the show, and if he gets a dancer who can keep up with him, it's pure magic. (The other best choreographer is Mark Ballas in my opinion. What a coincidence...they grew up in the same household--Derek boarded with Corky and Shirley Ballas in England and learned at whatever schools Mark learned at.) That "Psycho" dance...unbelievable!

heyang

Record Breaker
I agree with you Olympia about JR and Derek - just one slight detour with regards to Mark. He's a great choreographer. However, I think Derek's better at highlighting his partner and is a better teacher than Mark. When Mark has a good partner, they produce a well-balanced routine. However, when Mark doesn't have a partner that is a good dancer, he tends to dance around them and put on his flashier moves. Derek always seems to draw his partners into the routine and helps them overcome their weaknesses.

Oh, and it was nice to see Julianne back on the show, too. She and her brother are very similar in that they choreograph well and are good teachers. It's nice to hear her express appreciation for the show that launched her public career. (By public, I mean outside the ballroom community.)

I missed Chynna's routine this week, but saw part of during the recap. She's a good dancer and just 'blanked' out. I hope that she can get past her lapse - she's a good dancer too.

I just watched the Tuesday show online. It was heartbreaking to see Chynna voted off, because she really had what it takes but just had a brain-freeze during her competitive dance. Hearing the voice-over made me realize what a prince Tony Dovolani is. He's so warm and protective with her. He's a treasure, and I'm glad they put him on the show season after season.

Heyang, I think you're right about Derek's superiority at teaching and at making his partner look good. I generally end up rooting for whoever his partner is, and it's got to be due to him. I was never a particular fan of Ricki Lake, and now I want her to win because of the way they dance together. That Psycho tango goes onto my best-ever list, along with Mario Lopez's paso doble done to mariachi music.

Another great asset of this show, which we probably all enjoy but don't tend to talk about, is Tom Bergeron's hosting skills. This guy is probably the best host on TV. He's so smart, and also projects kindness. He always seems to have just the right phrase to take the heat off of a situation. Some of his quips are classic. He made a comment on this show about the contestants' coming up with their best Lady Gaga costumes...."but hopefully nothing requiring refrigeration." I'm still giggling over that one. Brooke Burke I don't warm to--she sounds canned whenever she speaks (though I loved her as a contestant with Derek). But Tom always seems to hit the right note. He tones Len down, teases Maks to lighten things up, and makes the most anxious competitor a bit more relaxed.

Johar

Medalist
you are so right about host Tom Bergeron. He just keeps getting better and better. And Brooke Burke seems so dull. Wish Lachey could come back again and replace her but he already has another career.

Maks and Hope are in jeopardy :-(

Rob Kardashian keeps getting better and better.

Carson Kressley is so funny! I want him to stay around because he is entertaining.

Chaz---no thanks.

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Poor Hope! She may be a great athlete, but as a dancer....no way. She is a klutz, cannot even do graceful forward steps in the tango promenade. I can't stand to watch her, poor Maks...I would love for him to win some year, but this is not the year.

I'm rooting for JR and Karina.

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't think I'll be able to watch if Maks isn't dancing...how can I .... I would miss all that leather and zippers... is it hot in here???? :eek: :eek:

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Carson Kressley is so funny! I want him to stay around because he is entertaining.
Sorry to see Carson go as I am with you Johar, he was very entertaining. I loved watching him but at this stage of the game he should be leaving. I didn't really see any improvement as time went on.

heyang

Record Breaker
At this time, I think JR and Ricki should definitely be final 3. Not sure who the 3rd should be because none of the others are particularly outstanding iMHO.

I'd love if JR won. He's definitely got the support of military families, soap fans and a lot of overall new fans IMHO.

As mentioned, I 'discovered' him on All My Children when he was initally brought on as part of a love triangle. It was a surprising decision by casting to bring in an inexperience actor, but they helped by using his storyline and the actors he worked with just totally supported him and he is just a natural. I've learned a lot more about him from watching him on DWTS and he just has become so much more admirable than before.

Some people are just made for the spotlight (in the nice way, not in the hungry stage-hogging way), and JR is obviously one of them. The minute he steps onstage, you feel you know him and like him. I'm sorry I missed him in All My Children, but I'm sure he'll show up again in other shows...maybe in my favorite NCIS, which could surely cook up a storyline suitable for his situation. Meanwhile, if he wins Dancing with the Stars, I won't complain!

heyang

Record Breaker
So, anyone have opinions on Max's blowup?

Personally, I think Max was a bit hot tempered. They are called 'judges'. Also, Len said he 'thought it was THEIR worst dance'. Not THE worst. And , personally, I didn't think it was right for her either. At this point in the competition, Hope has not grown as much as some. I do think the judges expect more from her than Chaz. I know Max was just trying to support his partner, but I think he needs to be realistic, too. It's a a competition where you will be judged. It's not just about entertaining the audience, etc. Also, if he listened to Len, he would understand and help Hope improve on the points that the judges are making. Bruno essentially made the same critique because Len chose not to continue arguing with Maks.

As Derek says, you gotta know how to play to the audience AND the judges.

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20539746,00.html?xid=rss-topheadlines