Daria Usacheva | Page 30 | Golden Skate

Daria Usacheva

NaVi

Medalist
A recent video posted on twitter got me thinking that if her skating level hasn't declined after her injury that she should consider ice dance. Or switch to another country which I'll address at the end(I started writing this post before the news/rumor that Khromykh will skate for Italy... which I never thought was going to ever happen and it was denied)

1. I don't think Russian skaters will be at the Grand Prix next season no matter what the IOC says. But even if Russian skaters do get to skate, new competition and skating politics would be such that she'd most likely be looking at bronzes(silvers possible but less likely than earlier) with a very outside shot of making the GPF. And that's assuming she's still at the level she was before. And she'd lose out on Worlds and the Olympics spots before missing out spots on the Grand Prix. And if Russians have to miss another season, there wouldn't be many more seasons until it's practically manditory to have a 3A or quad to be a senior skater in Russia on the Grand Prix.

2. Even if she didn't have a lot of success in ice dance, the experience would be very useful for both a show skating(including something like Ice Age) and for coaching. Solo Ice dance if/when that becomes a thing could also be worth looking at. Pairs could even still be an option(would be harder to dabble in pairs and then go into ice dance than vice versa)

3. If she were to go into ice dance she'd have an interesting story and some clout from having success as a singles skater. It can matter in edge cases. I've not watched much Russian ice dance very recently, but the past few years during when Russians competed on the JGP I generally liked the Russian ice dancers but felt like there are not any strong and impactful personalities that leave an impression and that they're not differentiated enough between themselves.

4. If her injury was caused by repeated stress while doing her jumps rather than a freak occurrence during a singular jump, then switching to ice dance would mean not having worry about that in the future.

But, I don't think it would be wise to go into ice dance without having a partner who was already fairly experienced lined up. Kanysheva's attempt at ice dance was pretty sad as IIRC she was better than her partner and and he wasn't much bigger and he'd botch the lifts. Also, there are good reasons why Eteri got her daughter out of Russia to train.

There is the (probably more likely) country switch option. The main advantage of it is that qualifying for the Olympics probably wouldn't be that hard(but could depend on how how she's recovered) and far more easier and quicker than with ice dance. But if the ice dance bet paid off(putting the cart before the horse), I think she'd have an easier time actually earning an Olympic medal as say part of a dance team in the team event than earning an individual medal at the Olympics.

Last edited:

Scott512

Record Breaker
A recent video posted on twitter got me thinking that if her skating level hasn't declined after her injury that she should consider ice dance. Or switch to another country which I'll address at the end(I started writing this post before the news/rumor that Khromykh will skate for Italy... which I never thought was going to ever happen and it was denied)

1. I don't think Russian skaters will be at the Grand Prix next season no matter what the IOC says. But even if Russian skaters do get to skate, new competition and skating politics would be such that she'd most likely be looking at bronzes(silvers possible but less likely than earlier) with a very outside shot of making the GPF. And that's assuming she's still at the level she was before. And she'd lose out on Worlds and the Olympics spots before missing out spots on the Grand Prix. And if Russians have to miss another season, there wouldn't be many more seasons until it's practically manditory to have a 3A or quad to be a senior skater in Russia on the Grand Prix.

2. Even if she didn't have a lot of success in ice dance, the experience would be very useful for both a show skating(including something like Ice Age) and for coaching. Solo Ice dance if/when that becomes a thing could also be worth looking at. Pairs could even still be an option(would be harder to dabble in pairs and then go into ice dance than vice versa)

3. If she were to go into ice dance she'd have an interesting story and some clout from having success as a singles skater. It can matter in edge cases. I've not watched much Russian ice dance very recently, but the past few years during when Russians competed on the JGP I generally liked the Russian ice dancers but felt like there are not any strong and impactful personalities that leave an impression and that they're not differentiated enough between themselves.

4. If her injury was caused by repeated stress while doing her jumps rather than a freak occurrence during a singular jump, then switching to ice dance would mean not having worry about that in the future.

But, I don't think it would be wise to go into ice dance without having a partner who was already fairly experienced lined up. Kanysheva's attempt at ice dance was pretty sad as IIRC she was better than her partner and and he wasn't much bigger and he'd botch the lifts. Also, there are good reasons why Eteri got her daughter out of Russia to train.

There is the (probably more likely) country switch option. The main advantage of it is that qualifying for the Olympics probably wouldn't be that hard(but could depend on how how she's recovered) and far more easier and quicker than with ice dance. But if the ice dance bet paid off(putting the cart before the horse), I think she'd have an easier time actually earning an Olympic medal as say part of a dance team in the team event than earning an individual medal at the Olympics.
Navi , something mysterious is going on with Dasha. She has missed the last 2 Russian nationals so she can transfer. After her serious injury last season I don't think she will be trying ultra jumps in the future. But she would be one of the top ladies without an ultra jump without question if she's healthy and motivated.

Dasha does not follow a lot of people on Instagram. But she follows the head of the Georgia figure skating federation where Anastasia transferred to in 2021. Why would a 16 year old Russian girl follow a Georgia woman in her 30s or 40s on Instagram? I think I have uncovered something with some amateur detective work. Dasha does not follow Nastya on Instagram but she follows Nastyas boss. Hmmm. Its getting interesting. And Georgia definitely needs another lady or two as Anastasia has gotten them more spots than they can handle for International competitions. Why not Dasha when she can still live and train in Moscow?

Let's hold off on her switching to ice dance for another season or 2. But she would be excellent in ice dance if she had a good enough partner. I am sad what happened to Kanysheva.

Mariiiiskate

Record Breaker
Navi , something mysterious is going on with Dasha. She has missed the last 2 Russian nationals so she can transfer. After her serious injury last season I don't think she will be trying ultra jumps in the future. But she would be one of the top ladies without an ultra jump without question if she's healthy and motivated.

Dasha does not follow a lot of people on Instagram. But she follows the head of the Georgia figure skating federation where Anastasia transferred to in 2021. Why would a 16 year old Russian girl follow a Georgia woman in her 30s or 40s on Instagram? I think I have uncovered something with some amateur detective work. Dasha does not follow Nastya on Instagram but she follows Nastyas boss. Hmmm. Its getting interesting. And Georgia definitely needs another lady or two as Anastasia has gotten them more spots than they can handle for International competitions. Why not Dasha when she can still live and train in Moscow?

Let's hold off on her switching to ice dance for another season or 2. But she would be excellent in ice dance if she had a good enough partner. I am sad what happened to Kanysheva.
The Georgian fed and Team tut have always had a good relationship both Morisi and Nika skate in team tut after all. Im pretty sure she has always followed both Georgian fed and the head of Georgian feds IG account, like everyone else from team tut.

Scott512

Record Breaker
The Georgian fed and Team tut have always had a good relationship both Morisi and Nika skate in team tut after all. Im pretty sure she has always followed both Georgian fed and the head of Georgian feds IG account, like everyone else from team tut.
Interesting Mariiii. Very interesting. Hopefully Dasha will be skating for Russian next season and doing a great like she was before she got hurt. But if she wants to transfer she has a country to go to that needs another world-class skater for ladies. Maybe two more. I would think the lady head of the Georgia figure skating Federation has thought about Dasha joining them before.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker

Mariiiiskate

Record Breaker
If she doesn't find a good ice dance partner, i hope she will try to switch to another country. She still is able to jump. She posted this today.
Honestly I think one of the reasons for the move to ice dance in the 1st place is the fact that she wont be able to be competitive in singles anymore especially if she needs few seasons to find her form and heal. I wish she would/ could switch countries.

Mariiiiskate

Record Breaker
She did them in shows?

If she is staying in singles i hope she is changing feds. 3F-3T is more than enough anywhere but Russia.
I hope she has roots somewhere else.
No she has been posting videos of her training in Khrytalni with the captions coming soon and work in progress, you can also see Maia and Morisi in the background.

Yeah her content isnt enough in Russia and due to the ban and her injury stopping her from competing in more than 1 senior competition she has no chance at a GP or a big International assignment next season.That being said I have doubts that Rusfed will let someone with a senior GP medal leave but maybe her injury and the fact that she never preformed a ultra c jump even in training could sway they decision there.

Mathematician

Pilgrim on a long journey
Medalist
Retirement seems highly likely given her leaving of Tutberidze's team. Apparently though, shes going to start coaching summer camps and hopefully that means one day she can become a high level trainer and continue her career in that sense.

Shame to see her go from competition and hopefully she will come out with some exhibitions still. She was very unique artistically.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Retirement seems highly likely given her leaving of Tutberidze's team. Apparently though, shes going to start coaching summer camps and hopefully that means one day she can become a high level trainer and continue her career in that sense.

Shame to see her go from competition and hopefully she will come out with some exhibitions still. She was very unique artistically.
I hope she does continue to do shows.

@Mathematician, welcome to Golden Skate.

Mathematician

Medalist

I would like to deliver a throwback for the deepest pure artist we ever had in ladies skating, because I think she deserves to be remembered.

To me its important not to forget this skater or let her fade into obscurity with the other retired girls whose time came naturally. Her scores were good, so was her technique, but she did not distinguish herself like that. She did however truly distinguish herself as an unbelievably complete artistic gift - exceedingly flexible, fluid, deeply intelligent and humble with gorgeous lines on the ice. I think we have nobody today who is a pure artist like her.

Perhaps the most unique and under-appreciated skater I know. Unbelievably tragic yet somehow it poetically makes sense that she was her who suffered to the whim of pure misfortune more acutely than one else, as someone who originally was gifted by pure chance to deliver us the highest art also moreso than anyone else.

DizzyFrenchie

Record Breaker

I would like to deliver a throwback for the deepest pure artist we ever had in ladies skating, because I think she deserves to be remembered.

To me its important not to forget this skater or let her fade into obscurity with the other retired girls whose time came naturally. Her scores were good, so was her technique, but she did not distinguish herself like that. She did however truly distinguish herself as an unbelievably complete artistic gift - exceedingly flexible, fluid, deeply intelligent and humble with gorgeous lines on the ice. I think we have nobody today who is a pure artist like her.

Perhaps the most unique and under-appreciated skater I know. Unbelievably tragic yet somehow it poetically makes sense that she was her who suffered to the whim of pure misfortune more acutely than one else, as someone who originally was gifted by pure chance to deliver us the highest art also moreso than anyone else.

What struck me was her elegance, so I used to call her "The Lady on Ice". I too hope that she won't be forgotten, and that she can skate in shows, because in my opinion she doesn't need jumps to remain this. Do you know what her projects are?

Mathematician

Medalist
What struck me was her elegance, so I used to call her "The Lady on Ice". I too hope that she won't be forgotten, and that she can skate in shows, because in my opinion she doesn't need jumps to remain this. Do you know what her projects are?
I dont even think shes going to be doing many shows any more. In her Telegram she does really short freestyles to music sometimes but otherwise she just coaches little kids. I don't know for sure but it seems like shes showing absolutely zero interest or advertisement about things like organized performance.