Dead Peacock? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Dead Peacock?

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Does anyone know for certain that the reason Peacock is no longer airing figure skating is due to the K&F music issue? There has been a great deal of speculation on this board, but I have to yet to read anything definitive online that clearly indicates Peacock is not streaming figure skating because of music licensing issues. As CoyoteChris mentioned, every other website (e.g. YouTube) or network (e.g. Eurosport) would have needed to pull their coverage as well if this was the reason why. This also does not explain why NBC, USA and Peacock will still air Worlds. I doubt the skaters will be competing without music or that NBC et. al. will mute the supposedly unlicensed music when those skaters compete!

BTW - What will K&F be skating to at Worlds? Did they resolve the licensing issue or did they need to resurrect or create another program since the Olympics to compete with at Worlds?
From what I can see, Peacock is being very tight lipped. I can find nothing on the web that says from Peacock that they will definately be streaming worlds. Does anyone have a link? That doesnt mean they wont of course. They streamed some US synchro skates. Usually when a law suit is involved, everyone clams up. Someone must know the process where by a figure skating team picks a piece of music and obtains permission to use it but no one is saying anything.
Nothing on NBC sports yet

Last edited:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
OK, its Wed March 16th. My Roku Peacock app shows live and upcoming sports into April and no figure skating. Unless they can get their act together, as we all know, lawsuits take a long time...so we may have to figure out that Peacock will not have the next Int'l skates into Fall 22 so I will drop them. One can always rejoin.

alyssamarie

On the Ice
Country
United-States
OK, its Wed March 16th. My Roku Peacock app shows live and upcoming sports into April and no figure skating. Unless they can get their act together, as we all know, lawsuits take a long time...so we may have to figure out that Peacock will not have the next Int'l skates into Fall 22 so I will drop them. One can always rejoin.
I do have it in writing that they are airing worlds with replays starting March 23.
"The currently scheduled World Figure Skating Championships for 2022 on Peacock will have its first event available on March 23rd, 2022"
"Replays will be available for the 2022 World Figure Skating Championships on Peacock Premium and above"

I just asked for a schedule on their site in EST.

If it is a lawsuit for music then this could be a potential false advertising lawsuit that USFS could sue Peacock for.

I did read an article saying it's on discovery plus but idk if that's europe only. ISU says it is on NBC and their affiliates so i'd assume NBCSN or Peacock. Knowing peacock they'll put it up the day before it starts.

alyssamarie

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Hi again, here is the full current schedule for the World Figure Skating Championship content on Peacock: Wednesday, 3/23 Women’s Short– 6am ET Pairs’ Short – 1:30pm ET Thursday, 3/24 Men’s Short– 6am ET Pair’s Free – 1pm ET Friday, 3/25 Rhythm Dance – 6am ET Women’s Free – 1pm ET Saturday, 3/26 Men’s Free – 5:45 am ET Free Dance – 12pm ET

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I do have it in writing that they are airing worlds with replays starting March 23.
"The currently scheduled World Figure Skating Championships for 2022 on Peacock will have its first event available on March 23rd, 2022"
"Replays will be available for the 2022 World Figure Skating Championships on Peacock Premium and above"

I just asked for a schedule on their site in EST.

If it is a lawsuit for music then this could be a potential false advertising lawsuit that USFS could sue Peacock for.

I did read an article saying it's on discovery plus but idk if that's europe only. ISU says it is on NBC and their affiliates so i'd assume NBCSN or Peacock. Knowing peacock they'll put it up the day before it starts.
Thanks! A new day of hope and change.
I remember some years back when they used to issue ear bugs with 3 channels at nats that one of the 2 commentators (one of the Santee brothers?) on one of the channels said that the USFS was responsible for paying the music fee, that usually went to one of two or three big music rights holders. They did not address the issue if someone who was not registered with these rights companies had their music used.

Last edited:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Hi again, here is the full current schedule for the World Figure Skating Championship content on Peacock: Wednesday, 3/23 Women’s Short– 6am ET Pairs’ Short – 1:30pm ET Thursday, 3/24 Men’s Short– 6am ET Pair’s Free – 1pm ET Friday, 3/25 Rhythm Dance – 6am ET Women’s Free – 1pm ET Saturday, 3/26 Men’s Free – 5:45 am ET Free Dance – 12pm ET
Thanks. Yes, shifting everything to PT, those are the times on the ISU color schedule. I will eagerly await them to appear so I can book mark them.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thanks! A new day of hope and change.
I remember some years back when they used to issue ear bugs with 3 channels at nats that one of the 2 commentators (one of the Santee brothers?) on one of the channels said that the USFS was responsible for paying the music fee, that usually went to one of two or three big music rights holders. They did not address the issue if someone who was not registered with these rights companies had their music used.
Jimmie. Skate Radio with Jimmie Santee.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thank you everyone for keeping track of what is listed on Peacock. I guess I will be keeping my subscription, for now. ;)

Of course, the men are at the worst time for me, :( so I do hope there is a replay.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Yippeeee.I was hoping Peacock would come through. They do replays all the time but sometimes not until the next day.
Every time I look for a replay, its up in a couple of hours but I will take your word for it. Replays are nice if you want to go back and watch again as you can write down the times of the skaters and you can go through the ice resurfaces, etc. IIRC, When they had the replays up for Olys, did they not ditch the commericals? With premium, I didnt start getting commercials until the olys but since they lost their donkey on the Olys, we shall see if Worlds has commercials. Hopefully, Peacock stays up through worlds. J and T coverage is abysmal. One two hour segment and a 3 hour wrap up. Roku lets me download the USA app but wants me to have a prescription to Hula or Sling or ?

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Thank you everyone for keeping track of what is listed on Peacock. I guess I will be keeping my subscription, for now. ;)

Of course, the men are at the worst time for me, :( so I do hope there is a replay.
I am gonna use the ladies short as a bell weather for replays. If they dont appear, well, its a good week to not get any real sleep. :pray: Thanks oh great one for answering one of my two prayers.....If you answer the other one, I am going to have quite the celebration!

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Jimmie. Skate Radio with Jimmie Santee.
Thanks! I learned alot....fans would text him questions and he would answer them in the slow moments. He really tried to explain ice dance scoring and how there was so much work to do for the tech panel that they would dibbie up the workload. At that point, I stopped trying to figure out ice dance and just concentrated on enjoying it. I miss the Shibs, Tan and Ben, Charlie and Meryl......

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Every time I look for a replay, its up in a couple of hours but I will take your word for it. Replays are nice if you want to go back and watch again as you can write down the times of the skaters and you can go through the ice resurfaces, etc. IIRC, When they had the replays up for Olys, did they not ditch the commericals? With premium, I didnt start getting commercials until the olys but since they lost their donkey on the Olys, we shall see if Worlds has commercials. Hopefully, Peacock stays up through worlds. J and T coverage is abysmal. One two hour segment and a 3 hour wrap up. Roku lets me download the USA app but wants me to have a prescription to Hula or Sling or ?
At first the Oly replays had commercials. Next day the replays didn't have commercials. Day after that the commercials were back and stayed back on all the replays I watched.

Yes, to use NBC sports or USA network app you must subscribe to a cable system or something like Hulu+ (I think about $65/mo) or Sling (maybe $35/mo). When you use the app you have to provide your username/password and the app checks to verify that you are paying for that service. I have Spectrum internet and when I tried using my credentials for that on the NBC sports app I couldn't get in because I only paid for internet service and not tv service.

I don't recall any commercials for Worlds last year and I only pay $4.99. Thinking back over the last couple of seasons, I never had commercials on any skating competition until the Olys. I certainly hope that Peacock stays up and provides replays for at least a month and if there are commercials I will just calm myself and enjoy the skating.

macy

Record Breaker
i'm really sad this happened with peacock, i got it free with xfinity and i was only using it for skating and some gymnastics. it is so difficult to watch skating at all today and i'm so sad my only outlet got taken away. i hope it comes back very soon.

noskates

Record Breaker
Chris - I agree that most of the Peacock replays come up soon but a few took longer during the Olys or maybe I wasn't looking in the right place. I literally cannot stand to listen to Tara's non-stop babbling. I love johnny's commentary but she just makes my teeth itch. I'm so glad Peacock is still broadcasting skating.

Amei

Record Breaker
Chris - I agree that most of the Peacock replays come up soon but a few took longer during the Olys or maybe I wasn't looking in the right place. I literally cannot stand to listen to Tara's non-stop babbling. I love johnny's commentary but she just makes my teeth itch. I'm so glad Peacock is still broadcasting skating.

Check the Olympics YouTube channel for replays, the ones I've watched have had no commentary

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
..... I certainly hope that Peacock stays up and provides replays for at least a month and if there are commercials I will just calm myself and enjoy the skating.
Thank you so much for this sensible perspective! For me, I was pretty persuaded that the issue was the music rights, and I was pretty hopeful, even confident, Peacock would come through for Worlds. I know we all need our skating, but for me it was a bit early to be figuratively running in circles with worry. The coverage will be there. Breathe, as I truly believe the Peacock is still doing -- not dead yet.

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
i'm really sad this happened with peacock, i got it free with xfinity and i was only using it for skating and some gymnastics. it is so difficult to watch skating at all today and i'm so sad my only outlet got taken away. i hope it comes back very soon.
I just checked Peacock and the U. S. Synchronized Championships which started March 3 was streamed live and is still available for replay. My opinion is that is a sign we will have the live stream for Worlds and replays available for some unknown amount of time. I will not dilly-dally around this time and will watch and rewatch everything that really interests me as soon as humanly possible!

SkateSand

Rinkside
Worlds coverage is now listed on Peacock. You have to scroll down to the very bottom of the sports section to the figure skating section.