Defying odds, Mexican figure skater will compete in Olympics (LA Times article) | Golden Skate

Defying odds, Mexican figure skater will compete in Olympics (LA Times article)

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This article on Donovan Carrillo in the Los Angeles Times is fascinating, describes the obstacles that Donovan has had to overcome, and if you don't understand why allowing small feds to compete in the Olympics is important after reading this, I don't know what to say.

Excerpt:

The Ice Sport Center, hidden in a corner of the Plaza Mayor mall, is as dark and dank as a coal mine, with a rink less than two-thirds the size of an Olympic-sized surface. Yet twice a day, Carrillo makes the 15-minute drive there from the house he shares in León with Gregorio Núñez, the only coach he has ever known, hooks a breadbox-sized speaker to his cellphone and skates to Santana’s “Black Magic Woman” and “Shake It,” the songs he will use in his 2-minute 40-second short program in Beijing. When recreational skaters join him on the soft ice, the rink’s owners make Carrillo turn the music off, leaving him to imagine it in his head.

🤯

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
This article on Donovan Carrillo in the Los Angeles Times is fascinating, describes the obstacles that Donovan has had to overcome, and if you don't understand why allowing small feds to compete in the Olympics is important after reading this, I don't know what to say.

Excerpt:

The Ice Sport Center, hidden in a corner of the Plaza Mayor mall, is as dark and dank as a coal mine, with a rink less than two-thirds the size of an Olympic-sized surface. Yet twice a day, Carrillo makes the 15-minute drive there from the house he shares in León with Gregorio Núñez, the only coach he has ever known, hooks a breadbox-sized speaker to his cellphone and skates to Santana’s “Black Magic Woman” and “Shake It,” the songs he will use in his 2-minute 40-second short program in Beijing. When recreational skaters join him on the soft ice, the rink’s owners make Carrillo turn the music off, leaving him to imagine it in his head.

🤯

Thanks for sharing. Good article and revealing. My favorite line: The only ice there was in the margaritas. I will be rooting for Donovan to make the FS in China.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Do we know if he’s the flag bearer?

It's odd that this article did not mention it. This article says he is:

I will use Google translate rather than my own, as I can make my way through a Spanish article, but I don't trust myself to translate it:

The Jalisco skater Donovan Carrillo closes the year 2021 with a flourish when he is named flag bearer of the Mexican delegation that will participate in the Winter Olympic Games next February in Beijing, China (February 4 to 20).

The website is for "Code Jalisco",

The State Council for Sports Development (CODE Jalisco) is a decentralized public body of the Jalisco Ministry of Education, with legal personality and its own assets, which governs the sports activity of the state of Jalisco.