Did Dick insult Tarasova? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Did Dick insult Tarasova?

J

Jules Asner

One More Try

I'll give it one more try. Let's see how many people I can offend or alienate in one post :lol:

This "mystery" person who told Exidra that Dick Button called Tarsova "a big Russian lady with a cold heart" (see first post of this thread) is the person who accused Dick Button of saying that, not Exidra. That person, who may or may not be a native speaker of English and in either case does not seem to have a full grasp of the English language IMhumbleO, misinterpreted Dick's words and then decided to pass on this misinformation. Exidra then asked the question to the forum, and IMO she further misinterpreted this to mean that, if it was true, Dick was calling Tarasova "Fat" by using the word "Big" and wondered what Dick would do next - bash the gay community and so on and so forth. Therefore, we have two misinterpretations of English in one post as far as I'm concerned. Capishe? Probably not. Ah well, so much for my ability to communicate.

and Sarah, you may be on to something.. in fact, I bet Tarasova was sent here as a soviet spy to infiltrate and sabotage ladies skating one skater at a time and Dick is the only one who's on to her.

Dick and Tarasova have been around the sport for a long time, to me he sounds like he speaks of her in an affectionate way you would speak of a long time peer or acquaintance that you get a kick out of. I can remember Dick speaking in the same tones about Carroll, Toller Cranston and other greats who have been in the sport for a long time. And reading and writing a language is different from understanding the tones of voice, people often say it is very hard to tell a joke effectively in a new language, just as it may be harder to tell if someone is joking or being sarcastic if they are talking to you in your second language. and I don't think its silly to think words can cause wars - a misinterpreted line said by an actress in Thailand caused riots this year as did a line from a reporter in Nigeria which sparked riots which killed over 100 people.

E

Excidra2001

Re: One More Try

Pather,

I think your post was geared to me, so i'll respond. Dick does like my favorite skater(Irina Slutskaya). During an interview with Slutskaya, he told her that she is one of his favorite skaters of all time.

My last post on this thread.

P

Ptichka

Re: Did Dick insult Tarasova?

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>After all, would any US commentator have ever joked about Frank Carroll in any way, shape, or form?[/quote]
Frank does get pretty much left alone. But I think there were plenty of jokes about John Nicks, who does not exactly have the best relationship with the press.

O

Ogre Mage

Dick Button

The belief that Dick Button only ridicules skaters from other countries is not correct. Haven't you ever heard him at U.S. Nationals? Don't you remember him calling Angela Nikodinov's skating a "refrigerator break?" And that's not the only example. During one event, he said Nicole Bobek was "unprepared and out of shape." Pay closer attention -- Dick does not discriminate with his barbed tounge. He insults Americans AND non-Americans.

C

Chaignee

DICK BEING A D*CK?

Dick and Tatiana know each other personally...in that book MY SERGEI, there was a part (when TT was coaching G/G) that she mentioned she was gonna call Dick to enter G/G in their first pro event- so I doubt he would make fun of her to offend her; maybe as most old friends do, they joke around.

That coat does come in handy. At Trophee Lalique this last year, a bird flew in the arena, and TT took out some kind of food which distracted the bird, which prevented it from distracting skaters.