do i have a small chance? | Golden Skate

do i have a small chance?

joonieskates

Rinkside
I'm sorry im back again, i'm really annoying im sorry but

i'm 14 and started skating just this year. i'm just out of grade 4 and should start grade 5 next lesson.
I originally had hope that one day i could do little competitions. not like the Olympics bc i started way too late. just little ones, but i'm starting to think it's impossible...
i'm a bad skater. i wanted to blame it on the fact that i was having lessons in bad recreational skates with 0 support, but i'm starting to think that its me...
i've only figured out how to do a basic backward glide last lesson and it's taken me so long... i can only afford to have one lesson a week. i have to rely on my mum to pay for them, we can't afford more than that. i was hoping when im older i'll get a good job and pay for all my own stuff and have private lessons at least 3 times a week, but that's so far away... i'll never get any good, will I? if we can't afford more than once a week now, it'll be too late to compete by the time i'm any good. i fractured my wrist and i'll miss the lessons for ages and i'll miss so much stuff i need to know...

i love skating so much, its the only sport i've ever liked and i so wish i could do it more, i'd happily do it every day if i could. my family still doubt me and think i'll give up soon and i won't. i try my best to learn everything and practice for about 1 or 2 hours after my lessons so i do try. but i was just sort of hoping i could be good one day... i wanted to at least do a little competition but i dont think i can....

gkelly

Record Breaker
Where do you live?

Are there competitions nearby for beginning levels and the next levels as skaters progress into figure skating?

In the US there are both competitions for USFS learn-to-skate levels and also ISI competitions. One or the other may be more popular in different areas.

Is there something similar near where you live?

jf12

Final Flight
If you love skating, it’s reason enough to continue. Who cares if it takes 10 years for you to get comfortable competing? There are plenty of competitions for adults, if you don’t get there until you’re older and have a job. Nobody tells people to quit jogging just because they will never run a 3 hour marathon. Whatever happens, you’re still enjoying yourself and getting good exercise, improving your balance and coordination. That’s worth it if you ask me.

Mussique

On the Ice
Agreed with gkelly and jf12.

Overall, don't worry --you've got your whole life ahead. Even if you can't get to regionals on standard track (or how-to-skate competitions, if you don't have these), adult competitions are a thing, and if you continue skating and are interesting there's a super high probability you'll get to compete in those.
Just --don't hurry. Don't try things that are above your level unless you're super confident you can do them. That's how you injure yourself.
Enjoy your current level and don't be so focused on competing & winning and all that. Skating is about more than that! And for sure you'll be a great skater in time.

There are some fantastic skaters at my rink that started way later than you! One of them has doubles except for axel and Lutz and he started with 25 years -- he may be an odd case, but still. I myself started way later than you (21), but I'm not great either :^P But I have fun!
Figure skating combines artistic and athletic skills. Both of them have in common one thing: they require practice, practice, practice... everything will come with time. In the meantime, enjoy!

If you want, I've added some references adressing some of your issues:
* General sticky thread of "how far will I get".
* Adult competitions, competitions outside the Standard Track, and questions regarding Standard Track.
* Timing of Skill Acquisition
* More about skill acquisition (those two threads focus mostly on jumps, though)

Cheer up and happy skating!

joonieskates

Rinkside
thanks guys, you made me feel a lot better.
i'll still go with my plan of "go to group lessons once a week until i can afford to go more myself when im older"
for uk competitions, all i can find is the british championships. Guess i'll aim for that one day then!

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
thanks guys, you made me feel a lot better.
i'll still go with my plan of "go to group lessons once a week until i can afford to go more myself when im older"
for uk competitions, all i can find is the british championships. Guess i'll aim for that one day then!

There are international adult competitions in Germany and Vancouver- you could definitely do those someday! Don't give up- I know someone who started at 22 and is now learning double jumps. You can learn to skate and improve at any age.

joonieskates

Rinkside
also i have a question thats kind of off topic, but when i'm doing forward chasses around a circle, how do i keep going and not slow down? I have to stop, go forwards normally, and start again, i can't go around the full circle without slowing down so much i stop. what am i doing wrong? I've asked my coach and she just said "you have to keep going without stopping". which was VERY HELPFUL. NOT.

RoaringMice

On the Ice
You need to get more "gas/petrol" into your pumps. Each push with your free leg should give you gas, as you push with the edge of your skate. So for example, when you push forward, you actually need to push. Look at this video. See how that guy pushes with that free leg?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BqJUai_g5k

And notice, before he pushes, he bends his skating leg.

Bend push. Bend push. Bend the skating leg, then push with the free leg. This gives you gas so you move.

Cirrusate

Spectator
I know this is a little late, but I just wanted to add that rental skates probably have A LOT to do with your struggles.
When I first when skating for fun in a pop-up rink one winter, it took me about an hour to get away from the wall. That's how it was pretty much every time I went skating. Well, last year when I decided I wanted to actually join the sport, I got a pair of Riedell Opals for around 60 dollars. I was able to skate without touching the wall at all within minutes! (If you are looking for skates, I would recommend low level Riedell or Jackson skates, they are affordable and the Riedell Opals will last you until at least freestyle 1, I know almost nothing about Jacksons or Edeas, sorry.)
It isn't just me who has tested this- If you want to see, just type in "Figure skater skates in rental skates" and plenty of challenge videos will show up. The difference quality skates make is amazing, trust me. I am sure you would be, and can be, a beautiful skater with the proper tools of the trade! And I'm sure you'll make it to competition- I started when I was 13, so around the same time as you, and I am planning on competing in the freestyle 2 or 3 competitions within this year. Don't doubt yourself- I know you can do it!

joonieskates

Rinkside
Cirrustate, i dont have rental skates, i have jackson artiste lol!!

and i guess i'll just try harder at the chasses...

Curlygirly81

On the Ice
Keep skating, if competing is a goal of yours stick with it. Like others said, there are adult competitions which include beginner levels up to elite. If you feel like you need more ice time join a municipal learn to skate program which is an instructor lead class but no where near the cost of private lessons at a figure skating club. You could do both. You can also get more practice on your own at a public skate.