Do off-ice spinners help? | Golden Skate

Do off-ice spinners help?

blanchey

Spectator
Hey all,
Do you recommend off ice spinners? I was thinking of maybe getting the one by RushSlowly (much cheaper than the one by edea) but I've heard conflicting reviews. Should I just get it and see how it goes, or not waste my time? I heard they're good for practicing jumps as well (like salchows). Thanks!

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hey all,
Do you recommend off ice spinners? I was thinking of maybe getting the one by RushSlowly (much cheaper than the one by edea) but I've heard conflicting reviews. Should I just get it and see how it goes, or not waste my time? I heard they're good for practicing jumps as well (like salchows). Thanks!
The E-spinner from Edea is the only one you can practice take-offs with. The other brands aren't designed for it, but honestly I don't think any spinner gadget really helps much.

faunneverhors

Spectator
Hey all,
Hi! I like to use my spinner (basic Edea) for spins and it does help to find and strengthen the position you need to be in. However, as the rocker is shaped slightly differently to the rocker on a blade, it does not help with centering spins on ice. As for jumps, I do practice them with the spinner, but it’s easier to just do them off ice without it.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I think that spinners help with getting used to rotation, which is useful for people who haven't been skating long or are returning after a break. I know many skaters who use them diligently for practising spinning and the positions required and they really feel there is a benefit. These are the flat spinners that you stand on and they rotate.

I am extremely suspicious of the Edea-type of shaped plastic that are supposed to replicate the blade rocker. To my mind, they are just accidents in waiting. I've seen too many people slip, fall and injure themselves to even consider trying one myself! And whilst you are supposed to be able to practice take-offs, I'm doubly suspicious. The only place I think you can really practice jump take offs is on the ice, or off-ice with proper instruction.

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
The Edea spinner is awesome and I love it! Only thing is that depending on the floor on your home, it can leave marks. It did leave marks on my floor (thankfully we were able to fix them), so I take this spinner to practice elsewhere. For my home I use another style of spinner that is one steel/iron like plate in the bottom, a spinning mechanism in the middle and then another steel/iron like plate on the top, where your foot goes. You can practice with this anywhere in any kind of floor and it will not damage the floor.
I don't know RushSlowly, but I do recommend the Edea spinner where/if the kind of floor is not an issue, and then this spinner by the brand Jerry, can be used in any floor https://jerryskate.com/product/metal-spinner/

SK4T3

Rinkside
Yes these spinners are great for:

getting used to rotation

I'm only familiar with Edea Spinner (Not E-Spinner!)

The E-spinner from Edea is the only one you can practice take-offs with. The other brands aren't designed for it, but honestly I don't think any spinner gadget really helps much.

I don't advise take-offs with the spinner (all brands and models); in my opinion it's excellent to get used to rotation as @WednesdayMarch mentioned.
But Yes it's a gadget (with all nice and new prints)

The Edea spinner is awesome and I love it! Only thing is that depending on the floor on your home, it can leave marks. It did leave marks on my floor (thankfully we were able to fix them), so I take this spinner to practice elsewhere.

I was worried too; bought an IKEA Kolon Floor Protector; but please attach non skid mats underneath (based on your type of flooring; else you have another "slipping issue".)

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Yes these spinners are great for:

I'm only familiar with Edea Spinner (Not E-Spinner!)

I don't advise take-offs with the spinner (all brands and models); in my opinion it's excellent to get used to rotation as @WednesdayMarch mentioned.
But Yes it's a gadget (with all nice and new prints)

I was worried too; bought an IKEA Kolon Floor Protector; but please attach non skid mats underneath (based on your type of flooring; else you have another "slipping issue".)
I was basically stating edea says that. I don't ever advise take offs except from your foot in sneaker to floor and back. That is all and there's proof of my stance across this forum.

jorge2912

On the Ice
Country
Chile
Maybe can help to get more confidence technically talking but that don't substitute the professional advice of a coach .

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I don't think anyone here (esp me) would or was suggesting to practice jumps and spins for that matter, w/o the pro advice of a coach.

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I was advised to use one at home to train my back spin and ended up passed out on the floor with my right shoulder dislocated behind my right chicken wing. Took weeks to heal and luckily no surgery. Never would I recommend one EVER.

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
Maybe can help to get more confidence technically talking but that don't substitute the professional advice of a coach .
I'd think coaches are aware of what their skaters do for off ice training. When I started practicing spins and jumps, my coach taught me how to use the spinner and what exercises/practices to do with it. Then I came back saying my home floor is all marked, then we found another spinner for home practice that doesn't mark the floor and I use the other one at the rink before ice time where I have more space anyways to practice not only spins but jump take off too (E-spinner. The one for home with the two metal plates not really useful for take offs).

Nothing substitutes a coach, off or on ice