Documentary 'Harley & Katya' released on Australia's ABC iview | Golden Skate

Documentary 'Harley & Katya' released on Australia's ABC iview

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
A documentary was released yesterday on the pairs team of Ekaterina Alexandrovskaya/Harley Windsor, from promising beginning to heartbreaking end and aftermath. I hope it helps bring peace and healing to those affected and awareness and change so that such tragedies never happen again.

A trailer and summary can be found in this news article.

Here is the link to the full documentary (you need an ABC account but apparently it's free).

On a related note, glad to see Anastasia Golubeva thriving in her partnership with Hektor Giotopoulos Moore. Maybe I'm reading a bit far but I like to think of this as a positive legacy from Harley and Katya's partnership - not just results, but in lessons learnt on nurturing a happy, well-supported team.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
A documentary was released yesterday on the pairs team of Ekaterina Alexandrovskaya/Harley Windsor, from promising beginning to heartbreaking end and aftermath. I hope it helps bring peace and healing to those affected and awareness and change so that such tragedies never happen again.

A trailer and summary can be found in this news article.

Here is the link to the full documentary (you need an ABC account but apparently it's free).

On a related note, glad to see Anastasia Golubeva thriving in her partnership with Hektor Giotopoulos Moore. Maybe I'm reading a bit far but I like to think of this as a positive legacy from Harley and Katya's partnership - not just results, but in lessons learnt on nurturing a happy, well-supported team.
Reading the article made me sniff a bit. Heartbreaking!

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I remember in 2016, I made a snapchat saying "Oh my gosh, Australia wins! Oh my gosh..." when Katya and Harley got their first JGP medal and it being gold. That's how I think of them. Putting Australia on the map for pairs. And I remember being excited when they won junior worlds. And being bummed they didn't make the FP at the Olympics. When I saw on Instagram on what happened to Katya, my heart sank. Such a horrible way to go. So young. As someone who lost a teammate to suicide, I hope Harley is doing alright. It does weigh on you at times. I hope he knows it wasn't his fault (It's that I know sometimes people blame themselves when it had nothing to do with them). You gave the support and love to Katya that a skating partner needed.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
This was such a sad documentary. Poor Katya 😞 I was so happy for her and Harley when they won Junior Worlds and looked forward to following their career.

It was really awful to hear how alone Katya was in Australia and how the Australian Sports people never tried to get her a translator or anything. It's terrible to think she felt she had nothing to live for.

Also the Aussie media proved to be crummy, I didn't know there was a headline that blamed Katya for her and Harley not making the FS at the 2018 Olympics. Talk about uncalled for.

Anyway, I always pray for Katya and for her mother when I'm in church.

Anni234

Ina Bauer
Record Breaker
Country
Estonia
This was sad to watch. I enjoyed them as a pair, but was not aware of a lot of the difficulties they faced and that I can realise now are probably very common in sports and especially with international pairings (language barrier, housing, being away from friends and family, funding). It's devastating that the support and help was not there for Katya at the time.

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
Anyway, I always pray for Katya and for her mother when I'm in church.
:ghug:
Aw, Moose. I'm glad you are keeping her memory alive. I hope her mum is doing alright these days.
This was sad to watch. I enjoyed them as a pair, but was not aware of a lot of the difficulties they faced and that I can realise now are probably very common in sports and especially with international pairings (language barrier, housing, being away from friends and family, funding). It's devastating that the support and help was not there for Katya at the time.
Yes, what strikes me is how common these challenges are among international teams - it's a lot to deal with, especially for athletes so young as skaters tend to be. Katya was particularly unlucky to be facing so many of them at once without the necessary support. I hope coaches and federations with athletes in similar situations heed this and take extra care to look out for their mental and physical wellbeing.