Does anyone still make warm skating tights? | Golden Skate

Does anyone still make warm skating tights?

Kat12

Rinkside
Mondor (I think it was Mondor) used to make rib-knit sweater tights, a loooooong time ago. I still have my two pairs and I love them. It doesn't seem, though, that anyone makes nice warm skating tights anymore? (I can't imagine why not. Warm tights made skirts wearable for me, when I wanted to wear a skirt, and I'd think there'd be enough kids who'd want to wear a skirt yet whose parents wanted them warm.)

I keep trying to find warm beige tights, and it seems like no one makes them (sometimes I want to wear a skirt/dress in winter but don't especially want my legs to be black or brown or gray or navy or any of the other colors of my sweater-knit or fleece-lined tights). Naturally I thought of my skating tights (I don't think I'm going to find heavyweight beige tights in regular stores; I've searched and searched) and wish I'd bought the footed version as well back then (but I never was into footed tights for skating; I preferred socks, and I liked the footless-tights look anyway).

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Mondor (I think it was Mondor) used to make rib-knit sweater tights, a loooooong time ago. I still have my two pairs and I love them. It doesn't seem, though, that anyone makes nice warm skating tights anymore? (I can't imagine why not. Warm tights made skirts wearable for me, when I wanted to wear a skirt, and I'd think there'd be enough kids who'd want to wear a skirt yet whose parents wanted them warm.)

I keep trying to find warm beige tights, and it seems like no one makes them (sometimes I want to wear a skirt/dress in winter but don't especially want my legs to be black or brown or gray or navy or any of the other colors of my sweater-knit or fleece-lined tights). Naturally I thought of my skating tights (I don't think I'm going to find heavyweight beige tights in regular stores; I've searched and searched) and wish I'd bought the footed version as well back then (but I never was into footed tights for skating; I preferred socks, and I liked the footless-tights look anyway).
Try here

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada

I also still have a stock of those warm Mondor knitted tights, both footed and legging style. I haven't needed to see if they're still being made/sold, but I do also buy full length leg warmers from dance shops, made for ballerinas. They come in a lovely range of colours, are soft, lightweight and warm, and on someone like me who's not tall, the longest length ones come up almost to the pants of my skating dresses and skirts.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
There is a company called Just Cozy in Canada that makes amazingly comfortable tights in two thicknesses. The thicker ones are called "fur lined" and are very warm and comfortable. The ladies in my yoga class swear by them. They primarily have bright prints, but I see some plain beige ("mocha" and "latte") on the website. They are also very affordable.

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
There is a company called Just Cozy in Canada that makes amazingly comfortable tights in two thicknesses. The thicker ones are called "fur lined" and are very warm and comfortable. The ladies in my yoga class swear by them. They primarily have bright prints, but I see some plain beige ("mocha" and "latte") on the website. They are also very affordable.
Just placed an order. They send parcels internationally at a VERY affordable rate. Bought the black and the skin color fur lined leggings and also the pink knitted mittens since they're so cute and I couldn't resist. Looking forward to receiving my order and hope these leggings will be my warm companion at the rink during the Winter :) Thank you so much for your post :)

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
I received my order!! :yahoo:

The mittens are SO warm! They will be great in VERY cold days :)

About the tights, I ordered M size (which is what I buy here for Japanese brands, or European brands) and didn't bother to check measurements, completely forgot I am a S or XS for north American brands (S for Mondor skating tights) so they're quite loose & big for me (especially around the waist/hips and lower leg). My mistake! I'll ask my husband or coach who are skillfull with a sewing machine to see if they can make them smaller for me. I put them on, both the skin color and the black ones and they feel SO cozy (just like the brand of them, Just Cozy), so warm and so comfortable. I will definitely wear them, if my husband or coach cannot fix them, I will just wear tight shorts and my crash/padded pants on top to prevent them from falling.
VERY, very happy with my purchase, was sent so fast, and they sent me a very cute hair tie, to tie my hair, as a present. Really recommend to others to purchase, but unlike me, please mind the sizes and check measurements to not make size mistakes!

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
I received my order!! :yahoo:

The mittens are SO warm! They will be great in VERY cold days :)

About the tights, I ordered M size (which is what I buy here for Japanese brands, or European brands) and didn't bother to check measurements, completely forgot I am a S or XS for north American brands (S for Mondor skating tights) so they're quite loose & big for me (especially around the waist/hips and lower leg). My mistake! I'll ask my husband or coach who are skillfull with a sewing machine to see if they can make them smaller for me. I put them on, both the skin color and the black ones and they feel SO cozy (just like the brand of them, Just Cozy), so warm and so comfortable. I will definitely wear them, if my husband or coach cannot fix them, I will just wear tight shorts and my crash/padded pants on top to prevent them from falling.
VERY, very happy with my purchase, was sent so fast, and they sent me a very cute hair tie, to tie my hair, as a present. Really recommend to others to purchase, but unlike me, please mind the sizes and check measurements to not make size mistakes!
I don't even need new tights, but you've done such a good selling job I'm tempted ;)! And thanks for the warning about size. I probably should be looking at S then, depending on the leg length.

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
I don't even need new tights, but you've done such a good selling job I'm tempted ;)! And thanks for the warning about size. I probably should be looking at S then, depending on the leg length.
Not sponsored at all, I paid for my tights and mittens, but I like giving throughout reviews, the kind I like to find if it's me looking to know a review.
Maybe they need to hired me for sales 😂

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
Not sponsored at all, I paid for my tights and mittens, but I like giving throughout reviews, the kind I like to find if it's me looking to know a review.
Maybe they need to hired me for sales 😂
Oh, I knew it wasn't sponsored :biggrin:, but you were so enthusiastic you were doing their selling for them!

I looked at the site, and they don't give a leg length, but I'm assuming they're stretchy? I bought a pair of skating tights years ago that must have been mislabelled because they were way too short. I'd yank them up and hope the pants of my skating dress would hold them in place, but they were determined to crawl back down. I'd end up after an hour with the waistband peeking out of the sides of the dress's legholes. It was not an appealing look :palmf:, and those tights ended up in the trash.

I'll start out with leggings and see if they're long enough or do they end up as capris on my legs, which are disproportionately long for someone my height. My big growth spurt from 4'10" at 15 to 5'3" at 16 was mostly legs.

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
@Diana Delafield I just took a measuring tape and measured them. I apologize I don't know/ am not familiar with inches and don't have anything at home with the capability of measuring inches, it's metric system over here.
From the waist trim to the end of the legs it measures 101 centimeters (take this approximately, since I'm not a professional measuring person).
They are stretchy. Not VERY stretchy like Lululemon leggings since the cloth/material is much thicker (but so soft and comfortable, and light weight too) but they do stretch some. The measurement above is with the leggings not stretched, I just put them on my bed and measured the legs.
I am 163 cm tall and 50 kg, for reference. The lenght of the legs is not a problem since we can use the extra lentgh to put them over the skates, but it was more the circumference of the waist and butt/hips, really big for me, and I saw a little bit too much material between where the calf muscle ends, going towards the ankle, but this will be probably irrelevant once I'm wearing my skates, since I will just put the ends of the legs over my boots.

Yes, I'm very enthusiastic and happy with the purchase, :clap:even with so weak yen (Japanese currency), I wouldn't be able to buy anything remotely similar with this excellent price over here, and Canadian dollars are worth more than yen. But it's not only the very cheap price of the items and the cheap (AND quick delivery) parcel fee, I'm honestly VERY happy with the purchase. I wish I wasn't so stupid and had bought the correct size. Not important now, even though I bought 2 of each color, black and skin color, I will most likely purchase again when they have good sale again and this time make sure to buy the correct size:LOL:

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
@Diana Delafield I just took a measuring tape and measured them. I apologize I don't know/ am not familiar with inches and don't have anything at home with the capability of measuring inches, it's metric system over here.
From the waist trim to the end of the legs it measures 101 centimeters (take this approximately, since I'm not a professional measuring person).
They are stretchy. Not VERY stretchy like Lululemon leggings since the cloth/material is much thicker (but so soft and comfortable, and light weight too) but they do stretch some. The measurement above is with the leggings not stretched, I just put them on my bed and measured the legs.
I am 163 cm tall and 50 kg, for reference. The lenght of the legs is not a problem since we can use the extra lentgh to put them over the skates, but it was more the circumference of the waist and butt/hips, really big for me, and I saw a little bit too much material between where the calf muscle ends, going towards the ankle, but this will be probably irrelevant once I'm wearing my skates, since I will just put the ends of the legs over my boots.

Yes, I'm very enthusiastic and happy with the purchase, :clap:even with so weak yen (Japanese currency), I wouldn't be able to buy anything remotely similar with this excellent price over here, and Canadian dollars are worth more than yen. But it's not only the very cheap price of the items and the cheap (AND quick delivery) parcel fee, I'm honestly VERY happy with the purchase. I wish I wasn't so stupid and had bought the correct size. Not important now, even though I bought 2 of each color, black and skin color, I will most likely purchase again when they have good sale again and this time make sure to buy the correct size:LOL:
Canada also uses metric, but we switched in 1975 so, being older than I care to admit, I grew up in the old system and tend to use them interchangeably. (I've read that in general, Canadians tend to still use feet/inches and pounds when describing people -- birth announcements, for instance -- and metric for everything else, like groceries or travel distances. We do use metric for people's size for official purposes like drivers' licences.) Metrically, if that's a word, I'm the same size as you in both height and weight. Having long legs, though, that length would be about right for me. At that low price, I might order one each in both S and M, and if the M is biggish on me also, I can always pass that on to my daughter who is a bit taller than I.:thank:

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
They have stores in malls all over Canada. Several in the lower mainland; just google them. Their Penticton store is seasonal; they close up for the summer and come back in time for holiday shopping. You can always try them on in the store and order online if they don't have the pattern you want at that store.

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
Canada also uses metric, but we switched in 1975 so, being older than I care to admit, I grew up in the old system and tend to use them interchangeably. (I've read that in general, Canadians tend to still use feet/inches and pounds when describing people -- birth announcements, for instance -- and metric for everything else, like groceries or travel distances. We do use metric for people's size for official purposes like drivers' licences.) Metrically, if that's a word, I'm the same size as you in both height and weight. Having long legs, though, that length would be about right for me. At that low price, I might order one each in both S and M, and if the M is biggish on me also, I can always pass that on to my daughter who is a bit taller than I.:thank:
I only visited Canada once, more than 13 years ago (I'm not a kid either, I just turned 37!!) while staying in the USA (Boston). I had the impression that only the USA used inches, feet, yards, pounds, farenheit in the whole world and I remember carrying a converter with me when shopping, because nobody knew what I wanted if I used metric system or spoke temperature in Celsius, and I didn't want to be rude :oops: but since then I've lived in 3 other metric using countries, went back to my own country that uses metric system too then moved to Japan after getting married and my converter is long gone with so many movings😅
Now thinking about it, they understood my metrically requests (let's make that a word) in Canada, because I still have awesome Winter wear I bought there. (one more reason I made that order right away, that Canadian winter wear is great and great quality since I still have it and use it so many years later).🥰
Wow, we're size twins! Let me know how the size S fits you if you buy, please!! 😃

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
I only visited Canada once, more than 13 years ago (I'm not a kid either, I just turned 37!!) while staying in the USA (Boston). I had the impression that only the USA used inches, feet, yards, pounds, farenheit in the whole world and I remember carrying a converter with me when shopping, because nobody knew what I wanted if I used metric system or spoke temperature in Celsius, and I didn't want to be rude :oops: but since then I've lived in 3 other metric using countries, went back to my own country that uses metric system too then moved to Japan after getting married and my converter is long gone with so many movings😅
Now thinking about it, they understood my metrically requests (let's make that a word) in Canada, because I still have awesome Winter wear I bought there. (one more reason I made that order right away, that Canadian winter wear is great and great quality since I still have it and use it so many years later).🥰
Wow, we're size twins! Let me know how the size S fits you if you buy, please!! 😃
Younger Canadians are more likely to use metric all or most of the time because that's what they grew up with. I had learned the old system in school, and it's harder to switch the mindset if it changes when you're an adult, even a young one. My husband was a scientist, so it was easier for him than for me. Probably Celsius and speeds of km per hour and groceries in litres and kg are the easiest for me to use without having to think about it. Even my daughter living in Scotland has to do conversion in her head, now and then. As far as I know, only the USA, Liberia, and Myanmar still haven't converted to metric. :)ot:)

To get back to warm skating tights, my daughter wants me to get patterned leggings in case she inherits the M ones. I'm waiting for her to make up her mind which she'd like, if she ends up with them, and then I'll place my order.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
Update: I discovered that the company has three stores in the Vancouver area, one of them close to the club where I skate. So instead of ordering online, my pairs partner's wife and I made a shopping trip there after our session on ice yesterday (she goes off and plays tennis at the same club while we skate, and he stayed at the club and hung out with friends while we drove to the store afterwards).

I tried on both the S and M leggings, and found that although the S was the right fit for ordinary movement, they felt short in the legs on me just standing up. When I tried a sitspin position they pulled up to what would have been above the top of my boots, almost to a capri level, and then stayed there when I stood up. I'd be left with a chilly gap there while skating, and I like leggings or footless tights to cover my boots down to the heels. The rest fitted all right, although the waistband was a bit tight (I had three kids, after all, and when you've had twins, even at only 22, your waistline never completely recovers :(.)

So I bought two pairs of the M in the plain grey and the black for myself, and bought my daughter the green checked and blue tartan ones she wanted and will mail them to her as a surprise gift ;). The M was, as you said, a bit loose around the hips and thighs, but I wouldn't be surprised if they shrink a bit in the dryer, so I'm allowing for "laundry alterations". They're the right leg length for me. And my shopping companion bought herself a pair in one of the wilder patterns, and the mittens and hat, for when she occasionally goes cross-country skiing :)

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
Oh, very nice and lucky! It's so much better to try on cloths in person than buying online if possible.
I'm the same as you for figure skating leggings, I like my leggings to be able to cover my ankles of my skates, and if it's tights ( like Mondor tights), my favorites are the ones that go over the feel. I don't like any other tight, no tights with foot (I'm VERY particular with what socks I wear on my feet, inside the skate and Mondor and other figure skating tights with foot I've tried just not comfortable for me), I'm sure to always have plenty of tights that cover the heel and have even bought the ones that only cover that ankle in one size bigger (these Mondor tights are mega stretchy) so I can use them as heel cover tights, because I love how they feel and how they look. Sometimes I wear Lululemon leggings for skating practice, but underneath I have my tights and I cover my heels with them, so it's ok if the leggings won't.

Thank you so much for your review :) I'm now very poor, we're moving homes to be only 5 minutes walk from the rink (now I take 2 trains) in the middle of skiing season (my husband is a skier, I ski too, - for fun- so we always spend a lot during skiing season - trips, season passes, lift tickets, hotels gasoline etc, on top of my usual monthly expenses with skating), it costs a small fortune to move homes around here, so I'm on hold of any new not very essential purchases for at least 2 months, but as soon as I'm able to recover my savings, I will visit Just Cozy website and buy a S size legging just to try it, either skin color or black. I took my Just Cozy leggins to the rink already and they felt great, mega comfortable and cozy, but I'd love them to be a little less loose. If they end up being too short, then, same as your friend, I can use them as base layer for skiing :clap: