Stopping tights from riding up ankles | Golden Skate

Stopping tights from riding up ankles

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
Hello, hosiery conundrum here. I wear skating tights rarely and only for tests/performance/competition. I avoid footed tights since I prefer wearing socks in my skates, and I dislike over-the-boot tights. However, the couple of footless tights I've tried (Mondor, medium denier nylon/microfibre) creep up and expose my ankles by the end of my skate. I've tried wearing them both inside the boot (like footed tights) and outside (over the hooks) but they just won't stay put :(

I'm wondering if I just need a bigger inseam, but I take about 28-30 " for practice leggings which doesn't seem too extreme. The tights are the right size based on the height/weight sizing chart.

I was thinking of sewing small lengths of elastic onto the ankle openings as stirrups to keep them inside my skates.

Would anyone have suggestions on how to deal with this issue?

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
You could also try making the vertical seam bigger from the bottom to a few inches from the bottom. Or if there isn't a vertical seam, make one on the inside of the leg. Taper the seam so it goes from 1/2 inch, or whatever you need, to nothing at the top.

Let me know if this (or the elastic) works, as I have a similar problem with long underwear that I wear as pajama bottoms. The reason I think it might work is that they used to stay down, but don't since I have lost weight. Hence my idea that they would stay down, if only their ankles were smaller or my ankles bigger.

scottie99

Rinkside
I'm the same way, I prefer wearing socks. I usually use over-the-boot tights, but since you dislike those, I would recommend putting your socks on, then footed tights over the socks. Tights are so thin that you probably won't feel a difference in the skate, and you can still wear your socks! This is what I did for the longest time. I have also done what you are talking about with the elastic. It does work, but will eventually tear your tights, so you'll get 1-3 wears out of them before you need a new pair.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Why not go with footless dance tights? I find that Mondors are "creepy" for lack of a better term, but some of the brands of dance tights have tighter ankles and stay down better and stretch more. I have a pair of dance tights I managed to pull down over the heel of my boot they were stretchy enough. And they STAY PUT.

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
Why not go with footless dance tights? I find that Mondors are "creepy" for lack of a better term, but some of the brands of dance tights have tighter ankles and stay down better and stretch more. I have a pair of dance tights I managed to pull down over the heel of my boot they were stretchy enough. And they STAY PUT.
Would you mind sharing what brand/model of tights worked for you? Most flesh-coloured dance tights I've seen look a bit too thin to skate comfortably in. Have you had any luck wearing those tights inside the boot instead of over the heel?

I'm the same way, I prefer wearing socks. I usually use over-the-boot tights, but since you dislike those, I would recommend putting your socks on, then footed tights over the socks. Tights are so thin that you probably won't feel a difference in the skate, and you can still wear your socks! This is what I did for the longest time. I have also done what you are talking about with the elastic. It does work, but will eventually tear your tights, so you'll get 1-3 wears out of them before you need a new pair.
That is a good point, I never thought of wearing tights over socks! I'll pick up a footed version to try sometime. What denier tights do you have?
If it works for me, I guess I could repurpose my footless tights as thermal underwear...

mskater93

Record Breaker
Would you mind sharing what brand/model of tights worked for you? Most flesh-coloured dance tights I've seen look a bit too thin to skate comfortably in. Have you had any luck wearing those tights inside the boot instead of over the heel?

That is a good point, I never thought of wearing tights over socks! I'll pick up a footed version to try sometime. What denier tights do you have?
If it works for me, I guess I could repurpose my footless tights as thermal underwear...
I wear Balera tights. I don't like them in my boots, BUT I've pulled them down to just over the hooks and they stay put. They are thinner, but you could always wear 2 pair

LokiPoki

Rinkside
I wear tights/leggings from a brand called Aim'n. They're not specifically skating tights, but they work for me. The have a nice high waistband, and some are a little bit thicker, which is good for those cold mornings and evenings.

I pull mine down to cover the first hook and they don't tend to move around, or creep up.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Hello, hosiery conundrum here. I wear skating tights rarely and only for tests/performance/competition. I avoid footed tights since I prefer wearing socks in my skates, and I dislike over-the-boot tights. However, the couple of footless tights I've tried (Mondor, medium denier nylon/microfibre) creep up and expose my ankles by the end of my skate. I've tried wearing them both inside the boot (like footed tights) and outside (over the hooks) but they just won't stay put :(

I'm wondering if I just need a bigger inseam, but I take about 28-30 " for practice leggings which doesn't seem too extreme. The tights are the right size based on the height/weight sizing chart.

I was thinking of sewing small lengths of elastic onto the ankle openings as stirrups to keep them inside my skates.

Would anyone have suggestions on how to deal with this issue?
Have you considered leggings in a skin tone? They give the look of tights but are considerably warmer and don't tend to ride up the same.

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I'm a bit late to this thread but I always size up from the recommendation as I'm pretty much near the cap of one of the sizes. It definitely prevents this for me. Might be a moot point if you're in the bottom of the height and weight of your size.