Does dance gold deserve an asterisk if Russians can't go? | Golden Skate

Does dance gold deserve an asterisk if Russians can't go?

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
If Navka/Kostomarov miss the Olympics because of this silly infraction how tainted will the win of the eventual winners(probably Belbin/Agosto, maybe Grushina/Goncharov though)be? I would say there will probably be a huge asterix beside the eventual win. Even the people picking Belbin/Agosto to win cannot argue how much Navka/Kostomarov have dominated the last 3 years.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
ok what is up with the asteriks thing? I see it on just about every thread.... why are we concerned with it all of a sudden?

Mafke

Medalist
slutskayafan21 said:
If Navka/Kostomarov miss the Olympics because of this silly infraction how tainted will the win of the eventual winners(probably Belbin/Agosto, maybe Grushina/Goncharov though)be? I would say there will probably be a huge asterix beside the eventual win. Even the people picking Belbin/Agosto to win cannot argue how much Navka/Kostomarov have dominated the last 3 years.

First, I really don't follow dance.
Second, I think G/G have been set up as the new heir apparents and will be placed above B/A.
Third, I think N/K will go.
Fourth, if N/K don't go because the little urine dictators think watching her pee in a cup is more important than her receiving medical attention it will be another coffin the nail as far as my skating interest goes (under heavy, heavy attack thru secret judging and misuse of PCS)
Fifth, I don't believe in asterixes.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
I said it on a previous thread and I'll say it again. the mascot for Turino should be.........................

If Totamarinin (sp) has a GB attack and can't skate or Plushy's and/or Irina's injurie/illness flair up who knows, LOL? There is already the Mao not going uproar and of course we diehard Kwaniacs who think if she doesn't go the REAL OGMedalist won't be there:biggrin: :p ;)

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Tonichelle said:
ok what is up with the asteriks thing? I see it on just about every thread.... why are we concerned with it all of a sudden?

Here is my theory. Consider the life of an asterisk. Stuck there on the keyboard over the "8." Not even lucky enough in the world of the keyboard to be placed over lucky number "7" or anything. And the asterisk is might jealous! Consider how many times THESE letters on the keyboard get used during the Olympics: G-O-L-D-S-I-L-V-E-R-B-R-O-N-Z-E. The asterisk has an evil plot to be added to EVERY medal announcement. That's the only way to become more famous than those other letters. Especially letters like O and E and L that get to particapte TWICE in every event result!!!

;) OK - now it's official - I'm totally off my rocker.

DG

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Is this a record year for the best possibly not being at Olys, or, at least not at full strength?

In dance -- N/K (maybe absent, depending on results of investigation)

In pairs -- S/Z (maybe absent, or if there, not at full speed due to injury)

In ladies -- Mao (absent due to age limits); Michelle (maybe absent, maybe not)

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Tonichelle said:

Tonichelle: As a mod can you ban the word asterik until the summer??

And no, there won't be an asterik next to any of the winners' names. Unless of course, you placed money on a Russian sweep and need an excuse when dealing with your bookie!

When will skating fans ever get over the wuz robbing? at least prior to the competiton?

If N/K can't compete... then they deserve the asterik of "stupidity" and their picture right next to Tanya Harding. I simply cannot understand why skaters wait right until they are on the verge of something big & then do something stupid... :disapp:

No asterik & no sympathy.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Now DG if *was made the mascot *wouldn't feel so needy. Besides *looks like a snowflake, totally appropriate for the Winter games.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Doggygirl said:
;) OK - now it's official - I'm totally off my rocker.

DG

well at least I'm not the only one who thinks so :rofl: :chorus: :rofl: :chorus: :rofl: :chorus: :rofl:

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Kwanford Wife said:
If N/K can't compete... then they deserve the asterik of "stupidity" and their picture right next to Tanya Harding.
How do yo equate N&K with Tonya is beyond me.

I do agree, though, that there are no asterixes in sport. The only exception I can think of is whenever people talk about Petrova & Tikhonov's World Gold, they always say "because B&S weren't there because of the stupid doping thing". The "asterix" thing can be taken very far; for instance one could make a strong argument that if Krylova & Ovsyannikov weren't injured, they would have become the 2002 Olympic Gold winners.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There was no asterisk next to Petrova/Tikhonov's 2000 World gold medal because Berezhnaya/Sikharulidze weren't allowed to compete after she took cold medicine that contained a banned ingredient.

If Navka is banned, that is too bad, but no asterisk is needed.

Vash01

Medalist
There are no asterisks in sports. Those who are present are eligible to win. Those who are not there, for whatever reason, cannot win and it does not mean the actual winners did not deserve their wins. It happens in all sports and that's life.

Vash

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Ptichka said:
How do yo equate N&K with Tonya is beyond me.

Because anyone who cost themselves the big prize by cheating, violence or failure to follow known rules is stupid, IMHO.

Tanya didn't have to whack Nancy to get to the Olympics, she would've beaten a cute as a button, but young Kwan - she also have a 50/50 chance with beating Nancy. Navka could've figured out a way to manage her injury while peeing in the cup. Just because one was a crime and forced us to listen to "WHY?!?" over & one was bad judgement doesn't erase that both broke the known rules... just Ina & Zimmerman.

curious

Final Flight
Kwanford Wife said:
Because anyone who cost themselves the big prize by cheating, violence or failure to follow known rules is stupid, IMHO.

Tanya didn't have to whack Nancy to get to the Olympics, she would've beaten a cute as a button, but young Kwan - she also have a 50/50 chance with beating Nancy. Navka could've figured out a way to manage her injury while peeing in the cup. Just because one was a crime and forced us to listen to "WHY?!?" over & one was bad judgement doesn't erase that both broke the known rules... just Ina & Zimmerman.

Do you have any proof that N&K cheated or is just wisful thinking on your part?lol!

Would you feel the same if Michell cuts her hand goes straight to the hospital to take care of her precious hand instead of peeing in a cup? I guess not cause she is the KWEEN right? lol!:biggrin:

Last edited:

Jill

On the Ice
Rules are rules. Besides, I don't remember any *s when Tai & Randy withdrew.

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
i don't believe in footnotes either (at least for the records) - scientific papers is a different story!

No offense to Tai and Randy, they were condtenders for gold only in the eyes of NA media. You could argue that their world gold needs an "*" b/c Rodnina was out on maternaty leave (or injured - can't recall).

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
curious said:
Do you have any proof that N&K cheated or is just wisful thinking on your part?lol!

Would you feel the same if Michell cuts her hand goes straight to the hospital to take care of her precious hand instead of peeing in a cup? I guess not cause she is the KWEEN right? lol!:biggrin:

As usual, you're missing the point... I never said that N&K cheated... What I said is that its stupid to miss the games on a technicality. Whether Navka, Michelle or Dick Button failed to respect the harsh drug testing rule without having enough sense to do both, then that person is stupid. That's my point. And for the record, I'm a huge Navka fan & am expressing my frustration that she wouldn't comply with the drug testing requirement ~ despite her hand.

Please, try & keep up. :cool:

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
chuckm said:
There was no asterisk next to Petrova/Tikhonov's 2000 World gold medal because Berezhnaya/Sikharulidze weren't allowed to compete after she took cold medicine that contained a banned ingredient.

If Navka is banned, that is too bad, but no asterisk is needed.

I strongly disagree on that point. Pratically everytime Petrova/Tikhonov skate it is pointed out by announcers, atleast her in Canada, that their World title win was with Berezhnaya/Sikharlidze being excluded from the event due to the doping infraction. It is like a broken record. Also every bio out on them points that out as well. You cant follow this team and not know that, so that would make it a huge asterix from my way of thinking anyway. If it isnt mentioned in the U.S that much it is probably the reduced interest in the pairs event, with the exception of rare times a North American pair(usually Canadian)is at top.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
JillLaQ said:
Rules are rules. Besides, I don't remember any *s when Tai & Randy withdrew.

Because they were NEVER likely to beat Rodnina and Zaitsev. Their biggest claim to fame was winning Worlds when this unbeatable Russian team did not compete due to her being pregnant. Tai and Randy were not the dominant team going into the Olympics, despite their World title, that Navka and Kostomarov clearly have been the last 3 years.