Doggy updates anyone?? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Doggy updates anyone??

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
Thanks Piel, my experiences with what we call police dogs are mostly good. The one that was shot was some kind of shepherd but not a german S. We had police dogs all the time I was growing up on the farm. They were really good at not letting the little ones in the barn when grampa had wild stallions in there. We were more afraid of the stallions than anything. Once in a while they got out and what a time catching them. Although, one time he got in and was swinging on the stallion's tail!! They trampled my little brothers twice at least. No lasting damage but were pretty well banged up. I do remember somehow my daddy had run over one and mother took us all in the back room while he shot it. Only time I ever saw my daddy cry. Our families first dog was a toy terrier. Then the dachsund and a "hound". Then we had male and female black miniature poodles. Had babies twice. I do miss all my puppies. But I'm not about to get any more. I don't want to take care of them and Janet & Fred are allergic to them. The only ones I have now are one's you dust. :rofl:
The hound grew into a horse. :rofl: Got it at the humane soc. and they told my hubby they thought it was a beagle. It was just too big for a house dog and so took it back eventually. I paid them more so they wouldn't put it to sleep and
if they didn't adopt it out, they would call me. He sure put some excitement into our life. He loved swiping the neighbor's sandals and chewing them up. He loved butter and one day I saw him outside with a pound of butter! I knew which neighbor had her's delivered from that dairy so I ran to town and got another pound and took it over. She hadn't missed it yet and thought it was hilarious. He loved cantaloupe and would dig a hole in one out of our patch and run all over the neighborhood holding his head in the air with the cantaloupe on it until he finished it. (We weren't allowed to have fences.)

Last edited:

PatriciaMcLinn

Rinkside
Hi Patricia! The link that was within your post to your Collie didn't work for me, but I *think* I saw a pic of him on your main site link from your signature line.

Sorry! Not sure why that didn't work. I'll try it again http://members2.authorsguild.net/patmclinn/

But also put the URL here so you can cut and paste if you'd like: http://members2.authorsguild.net/patmclinn/

BLESS YOU for supporting our troops. It must be so hard for our men and women who are deployed, with all the political pros and cons going on. I really believe that most (if not all) of them are just trying to do their job to the best of their ability. I also believe that there is more good stuff going on in Iraq than we EVER see on the news. What can I do to help??

There's a great site called www.AnySoldier.com. Soldiers come on and ask on behalf of their units (large and small), sometimes for goodies, sometimes for necessities. There's also a search function. You could search for K9, because some of those units are looking for goodies for their dogs.

Great to hear about Eich!

Pat McL

PatriciaMcLinn

Rinkside
There are many challenges to self-employment, and I'm not sure is that's your situation. But as far as my situation goes, Dogs In The Office is the BEST benefit!!

I'm mainly self-employed (also have a part-time job) and you are SO right. Along with knowing I have a great boss, since I'm my own boss. :laugh:

All the pics and links here are so wonderful. There's such good cheer in these dog's faces. They all make me grin back at them.

And that's another huge benefit of working at home and having dogs in the office -- good company, and company that makes me smile.

Just thought I'd share a story with you doggy lovers.
A member of the JRT board I belong to, who has become a good on-line friend of mine....She heard of a little female JRT living in very poor conditions with no love or care. This lady doesn't have a lot, she lives week to week, penny to penny, has a small house and small yard and 2 JRT's that she takes very, very good care of. She is going to somehow cough up the $50 the people want for the pup so she can get it and give it a better life. She went to see the pup....it is chained up outside, less than a year old, full of fleas, bloated with worms and cowered away from the 2 men that live at the house it's at (supposedly belongs to one of their girlfriends). She saw the one man slap a child while she was there so she knows they must be abusing the pup, too. She begged to take the dog and get the money to them Friday and they refused, she feels they are boozers and want the money for booze(if not drugs).
Please say a prayer that my friend is able to get this puppy into her loving care!

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
PatriciaMcLinn said:
I'm mainly self-employed (also have a part-time job) and you are SO right. Along with knowing I have a great boss, since I'm my own boss. :laugh:

:rofl: Ain't that the truth!! In addition to the office dog policy, I also like the dress code around here!

DG

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
NJSk8Fan said:
Just thought I'd share a story with you doggy lovers.
A member of the JRT board I belong to, who has become a good on-line friend of mine....She heard of a little female JRT living in very poor conditions with no love or care. This lady doesn't have a lot, she lives week to week, penny to penny, has a small house and small yard and 2 JRT's that she takes very, very good care of. She is going to somehow cough up the $50 the people want for the pup so she can get it and give it a better life. She went to see the pup....it is chained up outside, less than a year old, full of fleas, bloated with worms and cowered away from the 2 men that live at the house it's at (supposedly belongs to one of their girlfriends). She saw the one man slap a child while she was there so she knows they must be abusing the pup, too. She begged to take the dog and get the money to them Friday and they refused, she feels they are boozers and want the money for booze(if not drugs).
Please say a prayer that my friend is able to get this puppy into her loving care!

Stories like this are just so sad. I hope your friend is able to rescue the pup. Has she thought about calling Animal Control or maybe the Humane Society to get some help with her rescue effort? I honestly don't know why some people feel the need for a dog when they chain them outside and don't take care of them at all. Please keep us posted on your friend's progress - I hope this story has a happy ending!

DG

Linda has the dog in her possession.....she had to bathe her twice and she said fleas were jumping everywhere! She's worried Faith, as she named her, may have had some sort of back or hip injury as it doesn't seem to walk quite right, sorta sideways with it's knees pulled way up under is how she described it. Maybe that is just from fear and it'll straighten out. Linda is going to do her best to keep this dog, if she can't she'll try to find it a good forever home.
I think Linda did not want to involve animal control because so many JRT's end up in shelters and either not getting adopted or getting adopted by people who do not understand the breed. Due to the tv show Frasier and Eddie(Moose) the JRT on it, JRT"s became very popular, over-bred, in-bred and people adopted them thinking they'd get this cute, well-behaved lap dog like they see on tv. JRT's can be a lap dog at times, but they are very intelligent and energetic, they need LOTS of physical AND mental exercise! They are not a good breed for the casual pet owner.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Bless your friend for taking into her heart and home this little unfortunate dog. There is a special place in hell for those who mistreat animals. Those people you've described will have first class accommodations waiting for them when they get there. :mad:

It sounds like the child's welfare is also at stake and authorities need to be contacted. ???

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
NJSk8Fan said:
Linda has the dog in her possession.....she had to bathe her twice and she said fleas were jumping everywhere! She's worried Faith, as she named her, may have had some sort of back or hip injury as it doesn't seem to walk quite right, sorta sideways with it's knees pulled way up under is how she described it. Maybe that is just from fear and it'll straighten out. Linda is going to do her best to keep this dog, if she can't she'll try to find it a good forever home.
I think Linda did not want to involve animal control because so many JRT's end up in shelters and either not getting adopted or getting adopted by people who do not understand the breed. Due to the tv show Frasier and Eddie(Moose) the JRT on it, JRT"s became very popular, over-bred, in-bred and people adopted them thinking they'd get this cute, well-behaved lap dog like they see on tv. JRT's can be a lap dog at times, but they are very intelligent and energetic, they need LOTS of physical AND mental exercise! They are not a good breed for the casual pet owner.

I'm glad your friend was able to SAFELY (for her and the puppy) remove Faith from the bad home. My main thought in asking about Animal Control or the Humane Society was more about concern for your friend not getting robbed or worse trying to deal herself with these obvious A-holes. But I'm glad to hear that part went well.

I am sorry to hear that the puppy might be suffering from current or past injuries. I wonder if the Humane Society or a rescue organization might be able to help your friend get a free vet evaluation or something. Jeez - if she lived in my area (far southwest Chicago suburbs, just in case!) I would call my own vet and make a plea (Lord knows they get enough of my money LOL!)

I know what you mean about particular breeds becoming popular due to a movie, or whatever, and then being over-bred, in-bred etc. (a bad start) and then placed in homes with owners who have NO IDEA what kind of temperament to expect, and what type of activity levels, space, time, etc. need to be provided. German Shepherds suffer from a lot of that. They tend to be a "popular breed" especially for macho types who envision a "protection dog." These people don't know anything about the breed, and what is involved with training and other needs, and of course there are zillions of crap breeders who are happy to accomodate demand while producing crap puppies.

I can think of several breeds that just have way to much tragedy due to all of this irresponsible behavior up and down the line.

OK - rant over (for now) I hope Faith is OK as far as the back / hip concerns go.

DG

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Patch - are there JRT rescues? I know there are dog rescues... and I know there are dozens of pug rescues out there, as well as German Shep. rescues, but are there any JRT rescues, and if so could she contact one in her area should she not be able to afford to get the medical attention that pup surely needs?

Yes, there are JRT rescues, Toni. People from the MB we belong too are reaching out to help in all kinds of ways.
Linda, along with her neighbor who was her co-hort in obtaining the dog, have reported the people both to animal control AND child welfare services. They found out there was a chihuahua and another dog on the premises living in foul conditions. Linda knows the right people to contact because she is a legal secretary.
Faith is settling in pretty well so far...of course, it's going to be a chore getting her other 2 dogs, True and Gracie, and Faith to get along. But she's up for it. Linda posted pictures of Faith and she's just the cutest little thing!
My husband and I hope to rescue our next JRT, but we're letting our Aggie finish her life as the "queen" doggie at our house...bad enough I rescued the kitten and Aggie now has to share the house with her. (BTW, we allowed Philly out of her pen with Aggie in the same areas of the house as she, no muzzle on Aggie, and it went well!)
I call this picture "Mom, me bein' gud now, but me mite eet dat kat later!"
c.png

Last edited:

backspin

On the Ice
Here's my love-mutt , Inca! We had our first agility class last night--I was so proud of him. The lesson was "things you go through" & he did every single thing, including the tunnel w/ the chute! I think he's going to really like it.

backspin

On the Ice
NJSk8Fan said:
Inca is a cutie, what neat markings! What kind of dog is he?

Ah, yes, that's the million dollar question!! :unsure: LOL, I got him from the pound when he was 8 months old, & they had no info on him. They called him an Austrailian Shepherd mix. He definitely has the herding dog personality/brains. As far as the rest--it seems to be anyone's guess. I've heard something different from everyone who's offered an opinion.

My agility teacher says his mannerisms are more like a Border Collie, and he is more that size & type of coat, but those markings.....who knows?? Border Collie crossed with a Dingo? :biggrin:

I sent some pictures to a friend who replied "your dog looks cool but he looks like he's got the devil in him." That pretty much sums it up!! :laugh:

Last edited:

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Inca is so COOL!!

Backspin - congrats on your agility class!! From the photos, Inca sure looks like the kind of high energy dog that would LOVE agility. It's so funny having a "mutt" where you really don't know what they are, and the zillions of speculations you hear. Our "mutt" Cleopatra is like that - we'll never know but have had endless fun guessing.

Best wishes - I've always thought agility looked like lots of fun.

GRGranny - I just hate all the stories of animal abuse. I guy near where we live just got several felony counts against him. He kidnapped a puppy with the intent of getting ransom from the owners. The plan went afoul, and he ended up tossing this puppy in a pen with his two skanky, mean, nasty dogs who promptly killed the puppy. At least they've got him on felony charges, but the sad part is that if he's found guilty on all counts, the MAXIMUM jail sentence he will get is a couple years. It just makes me sick.

DG

PatriciaMcLinn

Rinkside
Doggygirl said:
I know what you mean about particular breeds becoming popular due to a movie, or whatever, and then being over-bred, in-bred etc. (a bad start) and then placed in homes with owners who have NO IDEA what kind of temperament to expect, and what type of activity levels, space, time, etc. need to be provided. ... OK - rant over (for now) I hope Faith is OK as far as the back / hip concerns go.

DG

It was a great rant, DG <g> I always remember a post on a collie rescue site about people who gave up a wonderfully tempered collie because the woman said there was too much fur. Gee, who would ever think a collie would have a lot of fur????

Patch, I'm so glad your friend prevailed. Bless her heart. And another bless her for pursuing the reporting those people.

I just read some very sad news re: the JRT my on-line friend rescued.
She didn't give a lot of detail because she is very raw and emotional from it all just happening. Her heart is broken.
There was a gathering in Ohio of the members of the MB(we had hoped to attend but decided our old gal, Aggie, was too old for the long trip from NJ to Ohio) and Linda attended with her 3 dogs, including Faith the rescue.
Apparently something very unpleasant happened. Linda had to decide to put Faith down, and Faith's body will have to be checked for rabies. I'm guessing Faith bit some dog or some person at the gathering.
:cry: :cry: :cry:

JOHIO2

Medalist
NJ, cute pic of girl and puppy. I'm sure they're both adorable.

Sorry your friend had to have her rescue dog put down. She probably feels like a failure, no matter what happened. Keep reassuring her that she is doing good trying to rescue dogs.