Double sal help | Golden Skate

Double sal help

Figuringitout

Rinkside
Hi everyone, hoping I can get some advise for my double sal?

This jump has been driving me crazy. I've landed it a few times over the past month but they've always been scrappy landings and slightly UR. Recently a mental block has been setting in too which has never happened on this jump before 😔.

I am working on this with my coach but any extra advice will be appreciated! Also practice the sal-backspin excerise and off-ice regularly.

Link to my most recent attempt: http://imgur.com/gallery/JIKaIIj

(P.S. I have an axel jump, but thinking of it as an axel from a backward entry doesn't seem to help either!)

eclipse

Rinkside
Hi everyone, hoping I can get some advise for my double sal?

This jump has been driving me crazy. I've landed it a few times over the past month but they've always been scrappy landings and slightly UR. Recently a mental block has been setting in too which has never happened on this jump before 😔.

I am working on this with my coach but any extra advice will be appreciated! Also practice the sal-backspin excerise and off-ice regularly.

Link to my most recent attempt: http://imgur.com/gallery/JIKaIIj

(P.S. I have an axel jump, but thinking of it as an axel from a backward entry doesn't seem to help either!)
All I can say is you should jump up not around like you are doing so hitting a full h position then snapping down and internally rotating your hips so you can wrap vs trying to only go half way, the only thing you can really do for that issue is taking a step back and doing walk throughs on and off ice.

Then again it also looks like you aren't actually stepping down and transferring your weight which may be another thing so salchow loop combos will help with that making sure you are landing in a reversed h position that crosses over.

Take all of this with a grain of salt I am not your coach nor am I jumping doubles yet, just a few things which I think I have noticed

Figuringitout

Rinkside
All I can say is you should jump up not around like you are doing so hitting a full h position then snapping down and internally rotating your hips so you can wrap vs trying to only go half way, the only thing you can really do for that issue is taking a step back and doing walk throughs on and off ice.

Then again it also looks like you aren't actually stepping down and transferring your weight which may be another thing so salchow loop combos will help with that making sure you are landing in a reversed h position that crosses over.

Take all of this with a grain of salt I am not your coach nor am I jumping doubles yet, just a few things which I think I have noticed
I do tons of walk throughs and off-ice already, plus sal-loop, sal-backspin excerises etc.

My coach is telling me I need to get over my hip more, so I guess you're right about the weight transfer thing - I just can't seem to put this into practice. Also you're definitely onto something with the jump up first then rotate - when I compare that vid to one where I've landed my 2S I'm definitely jumping up a lot more.

My only problem now is the mental block - I think this is whats stopping me from jumping up. My coach recently changed my sal entrance though, so I'm hoping it's just a case of getting comfy with the new entrance...

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
My only problem now is the mental block - I think this is whats stopping me from jumping up. My coach recently changed my sal entrance though, so I'm hoping it's just a case of getting comfy with the new entrance...
If the video showed is the new entrance, then this might be the case.

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
Maybe try thinking of keeping your free leg wide on the take off. As others have said, you're not really jumping the jump and it looks like your free leg is coming though right beside your skating leg. With the inside take off, a close free leg makes it difficult to really step up into the jump. Keeping it wider will help with this.

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
You aren't actually transferring into rotation at all.
Try single salchows into back pirouettes (back twizzles, backspin, whatever with rotation).

Until you transfer, you will never be able to have stable jump as you never cross your legs and hit rotation position.
This will:
1) Cause very slow rotation - you get good inertia and thus "collapse" out of jump, low maximum velocity of rotation so difficult to rotate.
2) make landing the jump very difficult - you will never be over right hip unless you open out sooner than neccessary.
Two things working against you, two very important things.

Things to try:
Attach ankle weights off ice, and do standing rotation. force your left ankle to tighten and snap to the right ankle.
After hitting the "h" position, imagine that ankle crossing Underneath the left ankle. Sometimes this is easier way to visualise this.

This jump isn't very organised in general compared to where it needs to be as a finished project, but these are some fundementals you need to sort out if you are going to improve your success with it - and then the rest of the timing will polish the jump.

It'd help if you can get an "accelerated takeoff", but with this height it is enough for double. Just need to get the air position good and sort the timing.

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
After hitting the "h" position, imagine that ankle crossing Underneath the left ankle. Sometimes this is easier way to visualise this.
I've always wondered why more coaches don't coach air position like this. I've been coaching it like this since I started. I found my students wrap less than those that visualize it thinking about the left leg on top but that's just anecdotal and could have better reasons... I could just be a better coach, the world may never know ;)

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
I've always wondered why more coaches don't coach air position like this. I've been coaching it like this since I started. I found my students wrap less than those that visualize it thinking about the left leg on top but that's just anecdotal and could have better reasons... I could just be a better coach, the world may never know ;)
An interesting thing to think abour:
When you tell a child to cross left leg down, half the time or so their left hip will start to turn out. This will often hinder the rotation position.

When crossing right below the left, often the hips stay square and this offers a tighter position.

It also often improves the takeoff transfer (particularly in jumps with big weight transfer, and better organisation throughout the jump. (Salchow, toe, axel all have some sort of pass through with right legs - so it doesn't make sense for me to have left leg squeezing down crossing the ankle when the right leg is the one bent in the air)

Im sure some people do just fine thinking about left crossing over right, but it can leave too much room for mistakes to creep in if they don't visualise it correctly, and this is why I'm partial towards trying to get them to have right ankle crossing behind left.

BunniesSkate

Rinkside
This is sort of old (it popped up when I was writing my own thread) so I don't know if you've fixed it already, but I'll just add my opinion in anyways because I like hearing myself talk :D. I think in the video you aren't using your arms as much as you could be to maximize height and rotation speed. It looks a little like you're holding them in but not using force to bring them in, if that makes sense. I'm actually also working on using my arms in my jumps more. Maybe if you think about throwing something and then catching it in? It could increase the height and speed up the rotation.

Figuringitout

Rinkside
Hi all, would just like to thank everyone for their advice! Unfortunately, I haven't been able to put much into practice as the tongue of my boot snapped off, so I had to replace and break in new boots, and then the holidays hit! I've only managed to skate a couple times since I replaced my boots, and only tried a handful of double sals, but I can already see improvement!

Link to my most recent Double sal https://imgur.com/gallery/wvbYAui

I think I'm jumping up more and getting over my hip a bit more, but still missing the leg cross and the last bit of rotation

mskater93

Record Breaker
It's because you aren't finishing the "through" motion with the free leg. it is stopping before it is completing the entire motion up to help you convert to the landing side. I think about driving it through and "across" the take off side.

Figuringitout

Rinkside
It's because you aren't finishing the "through" motion with the free leg. it is stopping before it is completing the entire motion up to help you convert to the landing side. I think about driving it through and "across" the take off side.
Ahhh I see what you mean! Thanks, I'll try thinking of this next time I'm on the ice!

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Ahhh I see what you mean! Thanks, I'll try thinking of this next time I'm on the ice!
I'm so late to this, but I suspect you are not finishing the movement because your arms are throwing you off axis. Your left arm is going wild and your right arm is in too early.

It has improved a lot!!