Drama in Figure Skating | Golden Skate

Drama in Figure Skating

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I have to admit to being enjoying myself about the 'drama' in Canada. I've never even slightly been drawn to the drama with regard to the coaching in Russia - there was even talk of a duel which I found rather ridiculous. But this...a new team of experienced skaters, lack of communication between former partners, a big scandal behind one of those former skaters, and a big communication miss with the other. I enjoyed it. The speculation, the feeling sorry for one party, the excitement about an unexpected new pairing, a bit of family drama, and the whole quickness. I got involved, interested, feeling for the parties, disgusted too by a criminal congratulating them. And I realised that I'm a big, big gossip. I couldn't care less about Royalty scandals, Celebrity issues, or haircuts, but this was fascinating. Are we, Figure Skating fans, just gossip mongers? I'm feeling like one now. Even though all the gossip about coaches left and leaves me cold, the notion of a nice bit of chatting, speculating and gossiping about a new pair is very attracting. Does that make us, figure skating fans, big gossips? Chatterers?

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
TBH I don't like the figure skating drama, it'd be one thing if it was a tv show or movie, but these are real people and these are their careers.

The Russian drama is treated like a joke, I didn't think the duel thing was funny so much as threatening bodily harm online which is illegal in a number of countries (maybe even Russia).

Plus the "narrative" of the drama paints real people as heroes or villains with no consideration. The duel thing was only "funny" because the person it was directed at has been painted as a villain for so long. Imagine for example if it had been Brian Orser, Stephane Lambiel or one of the so-called "Good guys of skating". People would have been appalled. There probably would have even been calls for the law to get involved.

Once again these are human beings not characters, they have feelings and families. When we switch to a new topic or close our browser windows they're still living through the "drama" and I'm sure it'd not fun for them.

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
Well, it's practically the off-season now and the pandemic is still ongoing, so those might be factors... and it's natural to gossip over topics that interest you (skating) than stuff which doesn't (rugby for me, sorry fellow Kiwis) :)

Probably better to be bemused/self-conscious about being interested in random skating gossip than to be overly emotionally invested and start flame wars or put your mental health at stake over it.

noskates

Record Breaker
I think I liked it better when we weren't aware of the drama. Social media has ruined a lot of people in my estimation - bubbles have popped all over the place. I just want to enjoy the skating without all the bullbleep.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I think I liked it better when we weren't aware of the drama. Social media has ruined a lot of people in my estimation - bubbles have popped all over the place. I just want to enjoy the skating without all the bullbleep.
yeah... i agree with that part... i am just a fan... i do not like that now, with social media, we are expected to be fans who are aware of every perverse detail about a skater.... and on top of that, there is no way to really know the truth...... So, we are expected as fans now to have some ethical conscience about athletes just based on smoke and mirrors social media??? ugh

noskates

Record Breaker
Totally agree with you. Whatever happened or didn't happen, it's between Meagan and Eric. Too many people are quick to make judgement based on what's said in social media. From my 1000 ft. away perspective, Meagan went on with her life and her family and Eric is trying to get on with his life. None of us really know (although some put themselves forth as in-the-know experts) and frankly I don't want to know. I just want to enjoy skating performances and competitions.

odinv

Rinkside
I'm kinda ambivalent about this tbh.

1) Most of the drama is probably gonna happen regardless.
2) A little part of me thinks that at least SOME of it is staged for precisely the objective of drawing attention.
3) I enjoy it as a free sitcom too much to want to give it up entirely. I'm sorry but its true.
4) I restrict it to private enjoyment and perhaps a few funny jokes with an audience that will take it well. IMHO we should draw the line and categorically at 'cyberbully/flaming/active encouragement'.

On another note, I more of a casual fan who only has time to follow bits and pieces of what is taking place. So what this about a duel? I'm completely lost on this one. This thread is the first I'm hearing anything about it.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
On another note, I more of a casual fan who only has time to follow bits and pieces of what is taking place. So what this about a duel? I'm completely lost on this one. This thread is the first I'm hearing anything about it.
There was talk of a duel between some Russian coaches, with one challenging and another not taking it seriously. It was a bit ridiculous. But there was some media attention about it.