DWTS cast | Page 4 | Golden Skate

DWTS cast

Johar

Medalist
Derek is the obvious teacher's pet. I wish he and Mark Ballas would take a year off.

And Olympia, you said what I felt. I felt so bad for her, as she was consistent and improving. Honestly she didn't deserve to go home last night. The show, ufortunately, often relies on popularity.

heyang

Record Breaker
Personally, I love Derek as a performer, choreographer and teacher. In the past, he's been great at it and really showcased his partners. He still does. However, I think he's ready to move beyond DTWS. It's obvious that's he's pushing the rules of the dance and I don't think it's out of arrogance, but because he wants to stretch as an artist. Due to his ongoing back issues, he may have to take a break from DTWS and I think he'll make a great choreographer.

I've always felt that Mark shows himself off more than needed. His body of work is good, too, but I think I'd like him more if his partner was more of the 'flash' than him.

Tony's obviously a nice guy, but (for me) he isn't always successful at bringing his partner out of a shell. Leah R surprisingly (to me) seems more comfortable with Latin vs Standard. He needs to 'break' that barrier IMHO as a teacher.

In general, I think the female pros have the most work most of the time. If the guy can't lead, it makes her job that much harder. If the guy can't really dance, you can tell by how much time he spends not moving is feet at all while waving arms around or acting as a device for the lady to twirl or shimmy around.

The best male dancers can lead anyone.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Johar, weren't you ballroom dancing?? Are you still??? I thought it was you but I could be wrong.

Heyang, when you commented that Derek was pushing the rules for dance, I guess I find that questionable especially since his partner got lower scores. I don't understand the pros for doing that, Karina did the same thing with Corbin.

Personally, I love Derek as a performer, choreographer and teacher. In the past, he's been great at it and really showcased his partners. He still does. However, I think he's ready to move beyond DTWS. It's obvious that's he's pushing the rules of the dance and I don't think it's out of arrogance, but because he wants to stretch as an artist. Due to his ongoing back issues, he may have to take a break from DTWS and I think he'll make a great choreographer.

That's been my take on Derek as well. He's such a sterling choreographer, and I think that accounts for the judges' obvious fondness for him. He probably should "graduate," though I don't know what's out there for someone like him these days. Ironically, DWTS gives him more exposure and more opportunity to choreograph as his own boss than many other jobs would. Like you, I really love Derek and could watch him for hours.

I had never considered your point about female pros' working harder than the male pros, but I'd say you're right. And there are certain moves where the female partner is just about taking her life into her hands. There are lifts and throws that give me heart palpitations. Even just the rehearsals--remember that time Hines Ward fell on Kym? He was that close to snapping her neck.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Tony is a splendid partner, and I'm glad he finally won a season. I gather he's a nice guy and popular among the other pros as well as with his partners.

I suppose I should be less patient with Mark than I am, but his choreography is so wonderful that I can't be peeved at him. Derek and Mark both give themselves a lot to do, but they also show off their partners by creating really original takes on the dances. I just adore both these guys but especially Derek. I wish there were something more in the film world that was open to them, like those great old MGM musicals where dancing was an important part of the storyline. I think that dance has become enough of a part of the landscape by now that someone might risk an original dance movie (i.e., not a remake like the recent Footloose).

Center Stage feat. Ilia Kulik came out in 2000. I have not seen a great dance movie since. Sadly movies are so dark, scary, creepy, sad, I can find little to watch.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
A dance movie that I enjoyed:
Robert Altman's film "The Company" (2003) with Neve Campbell, James Franco, and Malcolm McDowell.

IIRC, Campbell in real life has a strong background in dance; was heavily involved in conceiving the film; and undertook (additional) professional dance training for her onscreen role.

I remember hearing about The Company. It always sounded very interesting. I never got to see Kulik's movie (I know it's not really Kulik's film; he didn't have a major role), but maybe someday it will turn up.

My favorite dance movie remains The Turning Point, largely because the dancers' roles were played mostly by dancers (with Anne Bancroft as the exception--even Shirley MacLaine is a dancer), so they could be shown moving like dancers without any camera trickery. Baryshnikov of course began a stellar acting career with that film, and Leslie Browne was such a find, utterly believable emotionally while moving, standing, and sitting as the dancer she was. And she wasn't even the first choice for the role! Originally, Gelsey Kirkland had the part.

I never went to see The Black Swan precisely because the trailer showed Portman's intense face in close-up and then someone's legs en pointe. As Leslie Browne proved, dancers don't just look like dancers when they're rehearsing or performing. They walk differently, sit differently, pass the salt shaker across the table differently. Hats off to Natalie Portman for studying dance intensively before the filming, but it just isn't the same thing.

heyang

Record Breaker
Johar, weren't you ballroom dancing?? Are you still??? I thought it was you but I could be wrong.

Heyang, when you commented that Derek was pushing the rules for dance, I guess I find that questionable especially since his partner got lower scores. I don't understand the pros for doing that, Karina did the same thing with Corbin.

I took ballroom dance classes years ago. When you hit the 'sweet spot', it's a great feeling. As my cousin asked the teacher, "How'd you make her do that?" so effortlessly.

I probably said rules of the competition. I was thinking particularly of the samba performed by Derek & Shawn Johnson with Mark Ballas during a prior season. Judges found it entertaining, but they said their wasn't enough standard samba move.

There have also been other teams who have pushed aside the rules to please the audience , even knowing that the judges may not like the movement.

Tuesday morning: I loved Cher's guest appearance! She seems to be such a good sport. You don't get the feeling, as you do with Madonna, that she's always guarding her image and speaking to provoke. She seems to enjoy being around other people and is comfortable in almost any situation. I'm not a huge fan of her music, except for one of her songs: "Song for the Lonely." By itself it's beautiful, and along with the video, made after Sept. 11, 2001, it moves me to tears. When those buildings start going up, I'm just done in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmL-d5SGgeg

heyang

Record Breaker
I liked Cher as a guest, but not as a judge. I didn't really feel she added anything as related to really critiquing the dances. However, she's not the worst celebrity judge.... there are some celebrities who have appeared on SYTYCD and who really don't add anything (no real constructive criticism, personality, fun - i.e. Carly Rae Jepson.)

WHile I was watching last night, I found myself thinking that Amber, Elizabeth and Corbin are the ones I want to see as the final 3 this year. They are all pleasant people and the best dancers remaining. While Bill E and Jack O are really nice people (very pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed watching their experience), they really don't dance nearly as well as the other 3.

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I was surprised that Jack O. got higher scores than Corbin for the waltz. I am routing for Corbin, he is wonderful to watch and especially last night with his 3-some routine. I'm sorry but Jack O. is the same category as Bill E. I don't see any rhythm from him at all and as he dances I always think of a little child on a stick horse galloping along. I give them kudos for trying but neither one is good at all.

I hate who ended up going home. This is when one wishes that, like Project Runway, only the judges could decide on the outcome. We lose out on some great dancing.

heyang

Record Breaker
I was shocked over last night's results, too.

I was speaking with a friend of mine and he was saying he didn't care for Elizabeth because she was 'trying to hard' - kinda giving off a sense of desperation. I don't agree with him, but I can see how she didn't seem as personable as Amber and Corbin and some of the other dancers.

I think Amber's going to struggle because her knees have been getting worse. This will likely limit her from a technical standpoint. I do hope she makes it into the final 3 instead of Jack and Bill.

Leah seems to be 'peaking'... I'm actually surprised she's made t this far.....

I hope the ultimate winner is someone who can really dance, not just one of the contestants with a huge fan base. Given Amber's knee problems, that will probably have to be Corbin.

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Maks is a guest judge!!! :love: :love:

I hope he does well, no fighting!!!

Maks is a guest judge!!! :love: :love:

I hope he does well, no fighting!!!

I just tuned in a few moments ago, and there he was! How great! Maks and Val are both very articulate and precise; I've noticed this as they train their stars.

Scrufflet

Final Flight
I just tuned in a few moments ago, and there he was! How great! Maks and Val are both very articulate and precise; I've noticed this as they train their stars.
Agree! It was nice to see him. And may I mention how absolutely gorgeous he looked in that suit while others were tearing off their shirts? I couldn't take my eyes off HIM!