Edea problems - arch pain and numb toes - switch boots? | Golden Skate

Edea problems - arch pain and numb toes - switch boots?

bambii

Spectator
I’m sorry, I feel like there’s other post about this and y’all are probably tired of these same threads. I’ve read them all I swear but I still don’t know what to do.

I’m an adult beginner (165cm + 85kg so on the heavier side) and I’ve been skating in Edea Overtures (250C) since I started in May but I’ve only done about 35-40 hours since then. I wouldn’t say my feet are wide but they are wider in the ball of my foot, narrower in my heel, medium-high arches with maybe some pronation, biggest toe is the longest and the rest taper on a curve. My right foot is longer than my left and this is the foot that tends to hurt more.

The problem started basically as soon as I got them. When I tried them on in store they felt comfy and didn’t hurt. When I got them home after having the blade mounted I tried them on to start breaking them in at home like I’d seen online. As soon as I got my boots tied up (mind you I could barely get the laces long enough to tie a knot which was weird) and had them on for 5 minutes my feet started burning, like full foot cramp so bad I need them immediately off my feet. Knowing nothing else I chalked this up to needing to break them in. We are now almost 5 months down the line and I’m still experiencing serious arch cramping and numb toes when I have my boots on. My routine is basically: massage feet, put on boots, skate 10 minutes/until arches really cramping up, get off ice take off boots and remassage them/ pointing and flexing also helps, put boots back on and get like 30 minutes of less excruciating arch pain, repeat. I’ve probably had 2 x 60-90 minute session where the pain was minimal enough I didn’t have to take my boots off just rest them, but these were so random I couldn’t work out if I’d actually done anything different. Another issue I tend to have is my heel slipping but only a little bit.

I’ve tried different lacing, I’ve swapped out the insoles for superfeet carbon, I’ve KT taped my arches, I’ve even put pain relief cream on before my boots. Im not sure what else to do and whether I should just give up on them and try a different boot? I seriously feel like having this constant pain in my feet is making me progress way slower that I might otherwise. But on the other hand I don’t know if I’m just being a bit dramatic and sore feet is something to expect, maybe the shoes need a little more breaking in? 😅

Im wanting to upgrade my blade to a CA or MK pro anyway, but I don’t want to until I know what boots I’ll stay in for a while (no point getting the right length for the edea boots and then swapping cause they won’t be the correct size, right?)

If I swap to a different boot, the fitter/skate shop that I’ll go to near me only sells Risport and Jackson but from what I’ve read they sound like the right boots to try if Edea isn’t working? If I’m the right fit for Risport is the RF3/Royal Pro the right support I’ll need given I’m a little heavier? What do you think is the level of support/stiffness level I’m suited for in Jackson’s? I’m hoping to get boots that can get me through learning most of my singles (or is this unrealistic?)

Any help, advice or just thoughts and prayers for my poor sad feet are welcome!!

Last edited:

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
If I swap to a different boot, the fitter/skate shop that I’ll go to near me only sells Risport and Jackson but from what I’ve read they sound like the right boots to try if Edea isn’t working?
Definitely give those two brands a go, based on your foot shape (and the symptoms you're getting with Edeas)

bambii

Spectator
Were you fitted properly and put into Edeas? Did you try any other brands?
Not really and the Edea overture is the only boot I’ve tried on. The shop I went to only sells Risport/Edea. Can’t remember why we didn’t try the Risport at all (kicking myself about it now) but they just fitted me for the Edea (put my foot on the Edea measuring thing and wrote down my measurements). I don’t remember any tracings of my foot being done but I could be forgetting. There was some back and forth on what size was right because of my slightly longer foot, and considering that’s the foot that hurts more I’ve considered that maybe it wasn’t the right size but I’m already getting heel slipping so idk. There was no real discussion about whether Edea was right for my foot type or anything.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I’m sorry, I feel like there’s other post about this and y’all are probably tired of these same threads. I’ve read them all I swear but I still don’t know what to do.

I’m an adult beginner (165cm + 85kg so on the heavier side) and I’ve been skating in Edea Overtures (250C) since I started in May but I’ve only done about 35-40 hours since then. I wouldn’t say my feet are wide but they are wider in the ball of my foot, narrower in my heel, medium-high arches with maybe some pronation, biggest toe is the longest and the rest taper on a curve. My right foot is longer than my left and this is the foot that tends to hurt more.

The problem started basically as soon as I got them. When I tried them on in store they felt comfy and didn’t hurt. When I got them home after having the blade mounted I tried them on to start breaking them in at home like I’d seen online. As soon as I got my boots tied up (mind you I could barely get the laces long enough to tie a knot which was weird) and had them on for 5 minutes my feet started burning, like full foot cramp so bad I need them immediately off my feet. Knowing nothing else I chalked this up to needing to break them in. We are now almost 5 months down the line and I’m still experiencing serious arch cramping and numb toes when I have my boots on. My routine is basically: massage feet, put on boots, skate 10 minutes/until arches really cramping up, get off ice take off boots and remassage them/ pointing and flexing also helps, put boots back on and get like 30 minutes of less excruciating arch pain, repeat. I’ve probably had 2 x 60-90 minute session where the pain was minimal enough I didn’t have to take my boots off just rest them, but these were so random I couldn’t work out if I’d actually done anything different. Another issue I tend to have is my heel slipping but only a little bit.

I’ve tried different lacing, I’ve swapped out the insoles for superfeet carbon, I’ve KT taped my arches, I’ve even put pain relief cream on before my boots. Im not sure what else to do and whether I should just give up on them and try a different boot? I seriously feel like having this constant pain in my feet is making me progress way slower that I might otherwise. But on the other hand I don’t know if I’m just being a bit dramatic and sore feet is something to expect, maybe the shoes need a little more breaking in? 😅

Im wanting to upgrade my blade to a CA or MK pro anyway, but I don’t want to until I know what boots I’ll stay in for a while (no point getting the right length for the edea boots and then swapping cause they won’t be the correct size, right?)

If I swap to a different boot, the fitter/skate shop that I’ll go to near me only sells Risport and Jackson but from what I’ve read they sound like the right boots to try if Edea isn’t working? If I’m the right fit for Risport is the RF3/Royal Pro the right support I’ll need given I’m a little heavier? What do you think is the level of support/stiffness level I’m suited for in Jackson’s? I’m hoping to get boots that can get me through learning most of my singles (or is this unrealistic?)

Any help, advice or just thoughts and prayers for my poor sad feet are welcome!!
Hi welcome! I'm sorry to hear you are going through this. You are definitely in the wrong brand. You need to try Risport or Jackson. Yes Risport RF3 or Royal Pros would be okay for you being you are heavier. You need to get a proper fitting and there may be a chance you are going to need a wider boot that would have to be ordered in. Risport is going to be friendly to your arches if they are on the higher side. Know that with your two different length feet you may need custom or semi custom if a stock boot cannot be stretched to accommodate the one foot.

bambii

Spectator
Hi welcome! I'm sorry to hear you are going through this. You are definitely in the wrong brand. You need to try Risport or Jackson. Yes Risport RF3 or Royal Pros would be okay for you being you are heavier. You need to get a proper fitting and there may be a chance you are going to need a wider boot that would have to be ordered in. Risport is going to be friendly to your arches if they are on the higher side. Know that with your two different length feet you may need custom or semi custom if a stock boot cannot be stretched to accommodate the one foot.
Thanks for your help! Good to know I’m in the wrong brand, I’ve just been trying to convince myself they’ll get better but they haven’t.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Thanks for your help! Good to know I’m in the wrong brand, I’ve just been trying to convince myself they’ll get better but they haven’t.
With your foot shape, width and arches, you are definitely not an edea person.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
If you let us know area of world you are in, we may be able to suggest a proper fitter for you.

bambii

Spectator
If you let us know area of world you are in, we may be able to suggest a proper fitter for you.
I’m 99% sure the only places in my state are the roller rink I got the Edeas from, and the skate shops at my rink where I plan to go this time. The only reason I didn’t go there the first time is because I wasn’t doing my lessons yet and the roller rink was closer, which seems like a silly decision in hindsight, I probably should have gone to both and tried more boots out but alas, rookie mistake! I might have to travel out of state for anywhere else, but open to suggestions.

Last edited:

emilinkaa

On the Ice
Country
Germany
My feet are similar in shape to yours (wide toe, narrow heel, first 2 toes are same, then gentle slope down, one slightly longer) and I am in Risport RF3 Pros in C width. I think next time ill get the longer foot's skate punched out a bit more. And I do use bunga pads because my heels are so skinny that they're slipping still. But, I've never had a single pair of shoes where my heels haven't slipped. Maybe someday I'll do semi customs or customs. But not right now, not with my budget, sadly.

bambii

Spectator
My feet are similar in shape to yours (wide toe, narrow heel, first 2 toes are same, then gentle slope down, one slightly longer) and I am in Risport RF3 Pros in C width. I think next time ill get the longer foot's skate punched out a bit more. And I do use bunga pads because my heels are so skinny that they're slipping still. But, I've never had a single pair of shoes where my heels haven't slipped. Maybe someday I'll do semi customs or customs. But not right now, not with my budget, sadly.
Thank you, that’s good to know! Is there any particular reason went with the RF3 pros? I’m thinking it’ll be between those and the Royal Pros and I’ve looked up the differences/ peoples opinion on the two which seems to just be get whatever feels better 😅 I’m a bit nervous because obviously the Edea ankle is different to pretty much all other boots but I’m kind of used to that and it’ll be an adjustment (hopefully a good one)

emilinkaa

On the Ice
Country
Germany
Thank you, that’s good to know! Is there any particular reason went with the RF3 pros? I’m thinking it’ll be between those and the Royal Pros and I’ve looked up the differences/ peoples opinion on the two which seems to just be get whatever feels better 😅 I’m a bit nervous because obviously the Edea ankle is different to pretty much all other boots but I’m kind of used to that and it’ll be an adjustment (hopefully a good one)
They’re what my fitter had in stock, I didn’t even try the Royals.

tinna

Spectator
I also have feet that are similar to yours, and am in Risport Royal. I am happy with them. I had Edea before and did have some pain, and when it was time to upgrade, I switched to Risport.
Why I chose the Royal line is because I am only 155 cm and the Royal is slightly lower in the ankle. It just makes sit spins and other things easier when you're this short.