Edeas Aren't Working- Recommendations/Advice | Golden Skate

Edeas Aren't Working- Recommendations/Advice

macy

Record Breaker
Hi all,

I've been in Ice Flys for about a year and a half. I am a (very) retired skater, skating at max once a week for about an hour. since i've had the boots, i've had unrelated knee issues and have had to take breaks of around 2-4 months two or three times, so they don't have much wear on them at all.

they felt great when i was fitted for them and i have heat molded insoles in them. i also had them punched out on the inner part of the ball at that time. as i began skating on them over the next several weeks i noticed my arches were really bothering me and the pain came up the inside of my foot a bit. going off the advice of someone i knew who had a similar issue coming back to skating after several years also wearing ice flys, she said the pain would eventually go away as i got used to them. being i had been off the ice for around ten years this seemed like a reasonable cause. well it didn't really subside, and thinking they were too tight in this area i had my fitter widen them in that area earlier this year which sort of provided temporary relief.

flash forward to today, i'm still having the same issue. sometimes it's so painful i need to get off and sit for a while to take the pressure off my feet, but usually towards the end of the session it ends up feeling slightly better and like my feet are more "used" to it- but that doesn't seem like something that should be happening. i also think widening the boot in that area has given rise to other issues such as the boots not staying tight enough and heel slippage. at this point i feel like i'm kind of just stuck with them until i can afford a new pair, but when that time comes i have no idea what direction to go. at this point i'm assuming Edeas just aren't for me and i don't have the right foot type. my fitter also sells Jacksons which i have never skated in before (previously skated in Harlicks when i was very young which i was fitted for incorrectly by a different fitter and had a bad experience with, and towards the end of my competitive days Klingbeils which i absolutely adored from the same fitter as now).

one thing i LOVE about the Edeas is how cushy they are. they are very comfortable everywhere that isn't the sole, but i also am not a fan of how they are designed to wear "looser" around the ankle to avoid breakdown of the boot. it seems to me the ice flys are not wide enough around the arch area of my foot but also may be too high of an arch. all this being said, could i have luck with Jacksons? are the base of them typically wider? or should i find a completely different brand my fitter doesn't sell? any advice is appreciated, thanks!

MiraiFan

Final Flight
Could you try a different pair of insoles to support your arch? Or are they just too tight in that spot?

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi all,

I've been in Ice Flys for about a year and a half. I am a (very) retired skater, skating at max once a week for about an hour. since i've had the boots, i've had unrelated knee issues and have had to take breaks of around 2-4 months two or three times, so they don't have much wear on them at all.

they felt great when i was fitted for them and i have heat molded insoles in them. i also had them punched out on the inner part of the ball at that time. as i began skating on them over the next several weeks i noticed my arches were really bothering me and the pain came up the inside of my foot a bit. going off the advice of someone i knew who had a similar issue coming back to skating after several years also wearing ice flys, she said the pain would eventually go away as i got used to them. being i had been off the ice for around ten years this seemed like a reasonable cause. well it didn't really subside, and thinking they were too tight in this area i had my fitter widen them in that area earlier this year which sort of provided temporary relief.

flash forward to today, i'm still having the same issue. sometimes it's so painful i need to get off and sit for a while to take the pressure off my feet, but usually towards the end of the session it ends up feeling slightly better and like my feet are more "used" to it- but that doesn't seem like something that should be happening. i also think widening the boot in that area has given rise to other issues such as the boots not staying tight enough and heel slippage. at this point i feel like i'm kind of just stuck with them until i can afford a new pair, but when that time comes i have no idea what direction to go. at this point i'm assuming Edeas just aren't for me and i don't have the right foot type. my fitter also sells Jacksons which i have never skated in before (previously skated in Harlicks when i was very young which i was fitted for incorrectly by a different fitter and had a bad experience with, and towards the end of my competitive days Klingbeils which i absolutely adored from the same fitter as now).

one thing i LOVE about the Edeas is how cushy they are. they are very comfortable everywhere that isn't the sole, but i also am not a fan of how they are designed to wear "looser" around the ankle to avoid breakdown of the boot. it seems to me the ice flys are not wide enough around the arch area of my foot but also may be too high of an arch. all this being said, could i have luck with Jacksons? are the base of them typically wider? or should i find a completely different brand my fitter doesn't sell? any advice is appreciated, thanks!
Hi there! Sounds like you are definitely not an Edea person. And knowing you wore and loved Klingbeils in the past (those were my boot for so long!) I'd suggest you try Risport, especially if you have high arches as I do. You could also try Jackson, but IDK if they are going to be too wide for your foot. It also depends on what level of boot you want/need at this point, I'm presuming from experience you want a higher/stiffer boot and also that you are currently in an ice fly. Let me know and I'll give you some boot ideas. :) We need to get you feeling better in your boots!

macy

Record Breaker
Hi there! Sounds like you are definitely not an Edea person. And knowing you wore and loved Klingbeils in the past (those were my boot for so long!) I'd suggest you try Risport, especially if you have high arches as I do. You could also try Jackson, but IDK if they are going to be too wide for your foot. It also depends on what level of boot you want/need at this point, I'm presuming from experience you want a higher/stiffer boot and also that you are currently in an ice fly. Let me know and I'll give you some boot ideas. :) We need to get you feeling better in your boots!
I have lower arches/flat feet which I think is part of the issue I'm having with edea, so I'm not sure if Risport would be a good fit. I do really like the overall support/stiffness of the ice fly though and how cushy they feel all over the foot.

I highly doubt the heat molded insole is the problem as it's custom to my foot, and I had these in my klingbeils as well and never had an issue.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I have lower arches/flat feet which I think is part of the issue I'm having with edea, so I'm not sure if Risport would be a good fit. I do really like the overall support/stiffness of the ice fly though and how cushy they feel all over the foot.

I highly doubt the heat molded insole is the problem as it's custom to my foot, and I had these in my klingbeils as well and never had an issue.
My apologies on my mistake with the arches, I took you saying the arches are too high as your feet not the arch in the boot! LOL

Risport may still work for you, you can also try Riedell or Graf.

macy

Record Breaker
My apologies on my mistake with the arches, I took you saying the arches are too high as your feet not the arch in the boot! LOL

Risport may still work for you, you can also try Riedell or Graf.
thanks for the recommendations!